Dirt spots under my PPF?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi all. Just got my PPF and Ceramic done yesterday, and my installer for the ceramic sent me the following video of the hood after his PPF subcontractor was done:

Are these types of spots common with PPF? As of the moment, I'm not really pleased with how it looks (dirty).
Sponsored

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Hi all. Just got my PPF and Ceramic done yesterday, and my installer for the ceramic sent me the following video of the hood after his PPF subcontractor was done:

Are these types of spots common with PPF? As of the moment, I'm not really pleased with how it looks (dirty).
Looks like crap under the wrap, guess it was not applied to a clean body and perhaps a dusty workspace or contaminated materials.

Jinba-Ittai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag

Absolutely not. Unless these are temporary bubbles--which is doubtful. If dirt, take and back to the installer to do a proper prep for the paint before re-applying.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I spoke to my Ceramic guy, and it looks like the PPF guy is blaming the humidity and conditions at the Ceramic guy's shop. I think that they've worked it out though - it sounds like they're going to reorder the affected parts and reapply at the PPF guy's shop. Man, it was a rough morning!

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I've heard of bubbles appearing in PPF and can take weeks to go away. From the video it looks like it could be bubbles or dirt, hard to tell fully. I know with some headlight PPF, it took well over a week for all the bubbles and what not to go away too. Definitely stay on them to make it right, black is a tough car to get 110% perfect I'm sure, all defects will show very easy.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
that's good they're taking care of it. Was there any prep work to the paint before the installation?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, they did a full wash and one step correction (two step in a couple of places), before PPF guy started his work. To be fair, I just saw it in person and at a distance, there's only a couple of obvious bubbles with dust trapped inside. It wasn't until I got my face up in it that it became apparent.

I honestly feel bad for my Ceramic guy. He really did an amazing job, for a rock bottom price (Ceramic Pro Gold for under $1K). There were around 8-10 scratches on the car from the dealer, and he made them all disappear. It was his first time working with this PPF guy, and I guess there was a misunderstanding about the optimal conditions needed for the PPF to be perfect.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
that's one of the worst installs i've seen. a pure artist will have ZERO bubbles and ZERO stuff underneath. it must be completely redone.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
While it's normal to have a few bubbles on a wrap that usually disappear in a few weeks that's way too many and it's hard to tell if some of them are bubbles or dust trapped under. Hoods especially should be easy to do with no bubbles.

wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag
It is dirty under the area... need to redo... you can't do PPF install in a not clean indoor environment.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
So the ceramic installer didn’t wait for the ppf to be fixed and instead went ahead and applied the ceramic on top of the bad ppf? But $1000 for gold is a great price though

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So the ceramic installer didn’t wait for the ppf to be fixed and instead went ahead and applied the ceramic on top of the bad ppf? But $1000 for gold is a great price though
Nope, didn't apply the Ceramic Pro to the PPF. We just finished the gold package everywhere else.

You can really see the difference between the front, which only has XPEL, and the rest of the car, which has the Ceramic Pro Gold Package. On another note, the more that I see the stock red wheel caps on the Motegi's, the less I like them. I'll probably just go capless.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dirt spots under my PPF? received_737582309958411

Honda Civic 10th gen Dirt spots under my PPF? received_338826000068045

Honda Civic 10th gen Dirt spots under my PPF? received_367247000793834

Honda Civic 10th gen Dirt spots under my PPF? received_600557413719478

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Nope, didn't apply the Ceramic Pro to the PPF. We just finished the gold package everywhere else.

You can really see the difference between the front, which only has XPEL, and the rest of the car, which has the Ceramic Pro Gold Package. On another note, the more that I see the stock red wheel caps on the Motegi's, the less I like them. I'll probably just go capless.

received_737582309958411.jpeg

received_338826000068045.jpeg

received_367247000793834.jpeg

received_600557413719478.jpeg
It's beautiful! I don't usually care for black cars but the R pulls it off well, I guess because of the red accents.
I got PPF to my hood as well as Ceramic Pro throughout including hood. Gives the PPF more luster and that water bead effect.
Also, I'm with you on the R center red caps. I made a mistake buying them, as I just can't warm up to the bright bullseye look on my rim. Taking them off and replacing with these:
Honda Civic 10th gen Dirt spots under my PPF? s-l400(2)
Honda Civic 10th gen Dirt spots under my PPF? s-l400(1)

These are engraved, not simply painted on flat

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, that is a pretty bad install. Glad they are taking care of it! I recently got my full hood done as well, there are a few little specs of dirt under the PPF that have air bubbles that are hardly noticeable. But this, this is bad haha. Hopefully they prep it better for round two!

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was just inspecting the PPF closely today. For anyone else who got front PPF on their Type R: do you have any visible seems on the grill? I can see the line where the PPF ends maybe half a centimeter from the inside edge of the front grill. I'm wondering if that's normal, or if I should ask him to try harder when he redoes it?
Sponsored