Did you request your "complimentary" OWNERS MANUAL within 6 months of purchasing your car?

OP
OP
Boosted1one

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si ✓
I noticed that red stitch cover in one of the photos in the "DIY glovebox light mod thread".

I got a crappy cloth covered cardboard cover. Thought to inquire OP about it but.. whats the point. I know what level Honda America is at now. I love these cars man.. drove and modded them my whole life.. but like I said.. all the little things add up. Next vehicle probably not going to be a Honda.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Boosted1one

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was in my glovebox. I went back a few days after buying the vehicle in order to get one since my car didn't come with a USB extension.

They tell me they don't know what that is and it shouldn't have been in the car, and they dont have one for me. The guy photocopies it and takes down my info. Says he is going to follow up with Corporate and get back to me.

Never heard anything back.

Again, not THAT big a deal, and not worth the petty to chase it down.

There's literally a frickin instructional photo insert in my brand new car with instructions on how to use a small accessory that is missing.
Honda: durr
..... nothing.. there's nothing for this customer. I give up.

This is the petty we talking about here. Wish it didn't sound like im just Honda bashing.. but it is what it is. Tempted to name this large dealer..the dealer should be ashamed, but im not here to shame them. Its probably a trickle down effect of leadership from corporate. Greed.

Helpful Honda guy?

Its true!

Wait! hold up, did you read the fine print?

DISCLAIMER:
Helpfulness limitations: Effect wears off as soon as you sign/pay for the vehicle.
Claims made for said helpfulness only valid for the honda guys in sales department. Not valid in any other departments or interactions.
Helpfulness is not guaranteed.
Honda reserves the right to be not helpful and petty. What you gonna do about it?

Honda Civic 10th gen Did you request your "complimentary" OWNERS MANUAL within 6 months of purchasing your car? 20190326_152832_1

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I just downloaded the PDF manual about 2 weeks before I actually bought the car. That gave me all the info I needed. With that PDF and the info garnered from this forum, the salesperson freely admitted I knew more than she did about the car. LOL

OP
OP
Boosted1one

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just downloaded the PDF manual about 2 weeks before I actually bought the car. LOL
Nice!

Please tell me it ended with you telling her what the final price would be.

That would be supreme.

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Nice!

Please tell me it ended with you telling her what the final price would be.

That would be supreme.
On that day, it was just a test drive along with the Insight and the Accord. I had to make certain my final choice fit not just my wants, but needs as I keep a car 10+ years. A week later when I made my decision, I negotiated the deal completely online. I got it for less than invoice plus tag, tax, title and dealer fee.

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
Just call yo your dealership and ask them to order you one and make sure they bill the manual back to new car sales. The owners manual according to Honda (at least in Canada is $0.01 charge.

If you had to purchase the manual after the fact it is around $20 CAD IIRC.

It is not the huge printed Helms service manuals that explains how to fix the car. Honda did away with those printed service manuals ages ago (I think 2014ish).

Silly that they don’t include a printed manual book but I can understand why... I am sure more than half of car owners don’t even open the manual book. Why print and waste paper and ink when chances are the book will not be used?

I found out about my printed manual availability from this forum and promptly ordered my manual from the Honda parts department.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got my Si in April and I just put in the order for my books today. Thanks for reminding me lol

ronny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Coupe
Country flag
Ordered mine a little over a week ago and got it today. Now I know why they don't offer them voluntarily. It's regular size, about 8" x 5", but is almost 1 1/2" thick. 671 pages. It's a hunk. I'm afraid if I put it in the glovebox, my mileage will suffer.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I did. I like having a physical copy in the car. Peace of mind / completed feeling sort of thing. And if it's free, it's for me lol.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
I did request mine and was glad to receive it. The print and pictures were so small that I just referred to the .pdf Even so... it was still somewhat generic but more specific than the 'guide'.
How do you go about requesting the manual?

Edd

First Name
Edd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
How do you go about requesting the manual?
Go to the owners website:
https://owners.honda.com

Click on the FAQ section.

Look for the "how to receive a printed manual" question and click on it.

It will bring up a page with a different link. Click on that link and simply complete the form

Hit send and you're good to go.

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
[Didn't know what forum to ask this in. Mods feel free to move this if need be.]

I bought the Civic Si the first month it came out in 2017. Excited, I read what I thought was the "owners manual" found in the glovebox. I read that thing front to back a number of times. I found it odd that it was super generic, encompassing basically all 10th gen Civics. However, I didn't think much of it and chocked it up to Honda just being cheapy since the Civic is their "economy line". (It did make the Si feel less special though) :*(

Just recently while looking at my "manual" I noticed in (very fine print) on the first couple pages it says something along the lines of: "free Owners MANUAL but it must be requested through corporate Honda within 6 months of purchasing vehicle"

I flipped to the front of what i was holding and.. thats right.. I was holding the Owners GUIDE, not the Manual!

I reached out to Honda via email and no dice on sending an upset and dissaponted customer his Owner's Manual.

Really Honda? Penny pinching, and shady practices?

One would think buying a $20k+ vehicle. The OWNER would at least be privy to the MANUAL of said vehicle.

You know like how it comes with almost everything else sold in the 1st world.

Did anyone actually know to get theirs during the free period??? How did you know to do so?
Or am i the only person who managed to overlook this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can this be a lawsuit?

Honda obviously shady here, making the availability of the manual as discrete as possible and a deadline of a 6 months??? What changed? Im still the owner!

Seems we should be entitled the manual of operation to the vehicle we purchased. No matter what the date is.

Footnotes/addons:

[The manual cost $50-70. Its not a great deal of money, and that isn't what this is about. Has Honda sunk so low as to not even provide the owners manual to the first owner who purchased the car?]

[I understand this "owners manual" may be more like the old school HELMS technical vehicle manuals used by Honda service techs. It is true that this manual may be of little interests to a majority of vehicle owners, (which explains the penny pinching) but it doesn't mean Honda should make those who do want it pay for it when originally its given for free.

I've had a HELMs for all my previous Hondas, and theyve proven invaluable time and again.

Honda needs to correct this and completely remove the current limited 6 month window frame to get a free manual from date of new vehicle purchase.

If they know its right for the owner to have the owners manual during the first 6 months that they are willing to give it (like they should in the first place) why not later down the line?

Any lawyers out there with me on this??
Sponsored