Did you request your "complimentary" OWNERS MANUAL within 6 months of purchasing your car?

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si ✓
[Didn't know what forum to ask this in. Mods feel free to move this if need be.]

I bought the Civic Si the first month it came out in 2017. Excited, I read what I thought was the "owners manual" found in the glovebox. I read that thing front to back a number of times. I found it odd that it was super generic, encompassing basically all 10th gen Civics. However, I didn't think much of it and chocked it up to Honda just being cheapy since the Civic is their "economy line". (It did make the Si feel less special though) :*(

Just recently while looking at my "manual" I noticed in (very fine print) on the first couple pages it says something along the lines of: "free Owners MANUAL but it must be requested through corporate Honda within 6 months of purchasing vehicle"

I flipped to the front of what i was holding and.. thats right.. I was holding the Owners GUIDE, not the Manual!

I reached out to Honda via email and no dice on sending an upset and dissaponted customer his Owner's Manual.

Really Honda? Penny pinching, and shady practices?

One would think buying a $20k+ vehicle. The OWNER would at least be privy to the MANUAL of said vehicle.

You know like how it comes with almost everything else sold in the 1st world.

Did anyone actually know to get theirs during the free period??? How did you know to do so?
Or am i the only person who managed to overlook this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can this be a lawsuit?

Honda obviously shady here, making the availability of the manual as discrete as possible and a deadline of a 6 months??? What changed? Im still the owner!

Seems we should be entitled the manual of operation to the vehicle we purchased. No matter what the date is.

Footnotes/addons:

[The manual cost $50-70. Its not a great deal of money, and that isn't what this is about. Has Honda sunk so low as to not even provide the owners manual to the first owner who purchased the car?]

[I understand this "owners manual" may be more like the old school HELMS technical vehicle manuals used by Honda service techs. It is true that this manual may be of little interests to a majority of vehicle owners, (which explains the penny pinching) but it doesn't mean Honda should make those who do want it pay for it when originally its given for free.

I've had a HELMs for all my previous Hondas, and theyve proven invaluable time and again.

Honda needs to correct this and completely remove the current limited 6 month window frame to get a free manual from date of new vehicle purchase.

If they know its right for the owner to have the owners manual during the first 6 months that they are willing to give it (like they should in the first place) why not later down the line?

Any lawyers out there with me on this??
Sponsored

Last edited:

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Lawsuit? Really?

You said yourself that it must be requested in the first six months, you missed the boat.

It’s probably something by request only, because most of the info is available online, so they don’t want to waste paper to print copies for every vehicle manufactured.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I did request mine and was glad to receive it. The print and pictures were so small that I just referred to the .pdf Even so... it was still somewhat generic but more specific than the 'guide'.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Have you also missed the electronic version of this manual, which should be included on a CD with the new vehicle, but is also available online? From your post I gather you don't know the contents of the Owner's Manual, so it looks like you don't know you can read it right now.

No, it is not the information useful mostly to technicians and sdvanced DIY users. In fact, it contains less maintenance information than such manuals used to some time ago. But, it should be read by all owners. Service manuals are available too, for a bit more money, and you can't get them for free online, at least not legally.

Obviously, Honda is saving several dollars per car here, under the pretext of saving the trees. Unfortunately, I dump every week a dumpster full of junk paper advertising of zero interest to me, but I have to pay very high extra fees for the paper that may actually be seful, or convenient, such as some bills or manuals that I need to print myself.

Yes, I knew this and I ordered my manual after buying the car. For the hatchbacks including TypeR it is 1.5" thick and weighs 1 lb 12 oz (0.79 kg).*. 799 pages.

It's so big because it describes all hatchback trims. Two engines , 2 main infotainment variants and a multitude of other differences. A lot on audio, Bluetooth, Sensing, etc. Honda could have saved. paper if I they made separate manuals for each trim, or at least 3 versions. but they don't care about the trees to that extent. Thank God the English version is separate. A multilingual version could easily weigh 50 pounds.

There is a separate book on Navigation.

The 2009 CR-V Owner's Manual was only just over half inch thick and weighed only 11 oz (0.32 kg).*

* Your results may vary. The weight of paper items depends on the local air humidity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boosted1one

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh thank you for the feedback. Found the manual online here ->
https://owners.honda.com/vehicle-information/information/2017/Civic Si Sedan/manuals

Whats a CD?

Seriously forgot about that thing, probably got lost looking for a CD drive.

Thanks for clarification of the different manuals now. Reason I thought it was the service manual was the email i recieved from honda linked me to HelmsInc. Turns out Helms manufactures all of Hondas variations of owners manuals and guides.

Guess I'm a bit behind on the times.. I prefer my manuals like my Bible, in printed format. Old school but with pages in the 500+ it works better for me.

Unfortunately, seems like Honda did away printed service manuals completely and instead utilizes an expensive online subscription based system. This really is too bad...with those books, I had never brought my car to a any mechanic, other than dealer for warranty work. Learned a great deal too.

Overall thanks for the clarification. I rescind my request for a lawsuit. Lol.

However, the 6 month limitation still just isn't right. For example, think of any other reputable company whom sells a consumer product. If you purchased a quality product they stand by and did not recieve an owners manual in a form accessible to the consumer, wouldn't you expect this reputable company at the very least to be "reputable" and send one out?

Its just plain good ole customer service.

I completely understand not giving it with all cars as it is a huge waste. But are the losses SO big that sending a manual, say 2 yrs down the line to the original new owner is greater than sending one to new buyer within 6 months.

I was a Honda guy.. and this seems like a small thing.. but small things add up. Sadly and slowly losing more and more respect for Honda.

Just my opinion.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
What's the difference between owners manual and owners guide? I think my hatch came with the manual/guide.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
What's the difference between owners manual and owners guide? I think my hatch came with the manual/guide.
A GUIDE is an abbreviated or high level manual. The manual is detailed.

To the OP; download the PDF and call it a day.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Yupp I did and they actually sent me the 2019 Coupe instead of the Sedan. Throwing it up for grabs if someone wants it and just pays shipping.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Requested mine, got another guide, tried again and then got the manual. Drove my resale value way up by probably at least $10!!!

OP
OP
Boosted1one

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To the OP; download the PDF and call it a day.
you can download the manual for free online.....thats what i did
Thanks guys.

I included the link to manual in my 2nd post.

Fyi, Same link can be used to search for other models too

Last edited:

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Neither the Owner’s Guide or Owner’s Manual do a good job of listing items in the Index. I find the PDF versions easier to work with because you can search on any word but even that’s not perfect.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
i requested the owners manual for both my 18' Odyssey and 17' Civic waaaay after i bought them...at least a year and a half and I received mine with zero hassle. I requested it directly through Honda's website. Did you try them at all?

OP
OP
Boosted1one

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i requested the owners manual for both my 18' Odyssey and 17' Civic waaaay after i bought them...at least a year and a half and I received mine with zero hassle. I requested it directly through Honda's website. Did you try them at all?
I sure did! Just as stated in the 1st post.

They gave an apology and a link to the Helms Inc. website to purchase it.

Anyways, I'm over it.

Seeing as the answers to the last two inquiries' are from my previous post.

Nothings gonna change as far as OT goes. (I got less respect for the company in general but that's just me)

Mods can close this thread or leave it open for the curious passerby. I am cool either way. :nixon::nixon:

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
In Australia you get a book labelled owners manual with your Civic.

It also comes with this nice leather folder with red stiching to store it in. I bet you don't get that in North America.
Sponsored