Did you buy a used '16-'17 Civic Touring?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring - White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Did you buy a used / pre-owned / certified 2016 or 2017 Civic Touring Sedan (not Coupe or Hatch) in the past year or so? If so, I'd love to hear about the buying experience and any advice you have. I'm seriously considering buying one in the next couple of months. I'd also love to know...

• How much you paid (final price with fees and taxes)
  • How much mileage the car had when you bought it
  • Any regrets or wish-I'd-known-that's?
Sponsored

Last edited:

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just a thought to consider before buying a used '16 or '17. Once you determine a reasonable price for the used car I would suggest: grab a calculator and subtract the used car price from the asking price of an '18 then amortize the price differential between the two models out over 3-5 years (normal length of a car loan). You might find that the "savings" you get from buying used will equal a few Starbucks Lattes each month. For example, a $5,000 price differential between used and new amortized out over 5 years at 3% interest equals roughly $90 a month. Used cars at substantially cheaper prices than new cars are often a good way to go for many people but when the price differential between used and new is only a few thousand dollars sometimes new with warranties still in tack are a better choice. Just my two cents though.

Also when buying new remember that if you've got a costco membership there is usually a substantial price cut for you but you've got to ask for the costco pricing. My costco card got me nearly $5K off my new civic coupe. Also, if you work for a large corporation, I work for Darden Inc., most have discount centers for their employees that give price cuts to their employees. Working for Darden got me a further $1K off my new coupe.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring - White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
just a thought to consider before buying a used '16 or '17. Once you determine a reasonable price for the used car I would suggest: grab a calculator and subtract the used car price from the asking price of an '18 then amortize the price differential between the two models out over 3-5 years (normal length of a car loan). You might find that the "savings" you get from buying used will equal a few Starbucks Lattes each month. For example, a $5,000 price differential between used and new amortized out over 5 years at 3% interest equals roughly $90 a month. Used cars at substantially cheaper prices than new cars are often a good way to go for many people but when the price differential between used and new is only a few thousand dollars sometimes new with warranties still in tack are a better choice. Just my two cents though.

Also when buying new remember that if you've got a costco membership there is usually a substantial price cut for you but you've got to ask for the costco pricing. My costco card got me nearly $5K off my new civic coupe. Also, if you work for a large corporation, I work for Darden Inc., most have discount centers for their employees that give price cuts to their employees. Working for Darden got me a further $1K off my new coupe.

Thanks for the tip on Costco, brienp! Funnily enough, I just became a Costco member last week. I'll have to look into it. I have to say, your experience sounds kind of rare when looking up Costco auto experiences of others online. You got $5k off what, exactly? The MSRP?

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
its dealer and model specific and fluctuates. I bought a coupe touring. oddly enough the savings on the model just before the touring was less than the savings on the touring so I opted for the touring model. It was actually super easy. I mentioned I had a costco membership, the sales guy printed off the price sheet for each model for costco members. I dont know if its that easy at every dealership or if I was lucky. Thing is, won't hurt to ask or even bring up. Worst case scenario is, you get no discount now for any model, but even under the worst scenario you're still back at exactly where you started.

Sitio23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EX Civic
Country flag
its dealer and model specific and fluctuates. I bought a coupe touring. oddly enough the savings on the model just before the touring was less than the savings on the touring so I opted for the touring model. It was actually super easy. I mentioned I had a costco membership, the sales guy printed off the price sheet for each model for costco members. I dont know if its that easy at every dealership or if I was lucky. Thing is, won't hurt to ask or even bring up. Worst case scenario is, you get no discount now for any model, but even under the worst scenario you're still back at exactly where you started.
What dealership was this? I thought only GM had Costco pricing.

nyitguy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I bought a '16 Touring in November, it had 4010 miles on it. It looked, drove, and smelled like new. Final price was about $22k. No regrets so far, other than the fact I was forced into buying a new car after someone totaled my old one.

BTW, it was a "Certified" used vehicle bought from a Honda dealer. That includes an additional 12 months/12,000 mile warranty beyond the original warranty.

Hols4

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SR 1.0 CVT
I bought a '16 Touring in November, it had 4010 miles on it. It looked, drove, and smelled like new. Final price was about $22k. No regrets so far, other than the fact I was forced into buying a new car after someone totaled my old one.

BTW, it was a "Certified" used vehicle bought from a Honda dealer. That includes an additional 12 months/12,000 mile warranty beyond the original warranty.
H

Hols4

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SR 1.0 CVT

Hols4
Here in the UK we only get the Hatchback and they are spect : S, SE, SR EX Sport Sport Plus and Prestige. I went to buy a new Civic SR but the delivery time was months but my small local Honda dealer had a White SR 1.0 cvt with only 2000 miles and £3000 worth of upgrades on it saving £7500 over new. Also got 5 years free servicing and low finance rate as I knew the owner of the dealership so very happy. We get the 1.0 and 1.5 litre engines over here and the ,R type.

Wxguru

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring x2
Country flag
I bought new....and I know as soon as I drove off the lot, the value of that car just took a nose dive. What they sold me for $27100...they would maybe offer me $23K for if I walked right back in. But I own longterm usually so that isn't an issue.
Buying used...a lot of times, you can buy at a good value and take a much smaller hit depreciation wise....the original owner took the biggest blow there. The value of the deal of course...is always best if your a good haggler!!
Sponsored