Did my tuner damage my car?

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Accord 2.0T Sport | '18 Civic EX-T Coupe CVT (destroyed)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Civicx members,

I've been having an active thread relating to a load of issues I've been having related to running rich. Please see this topic on pages 7 and 8 to basically see what whats been going on. https://www.civicx.com/threads/product-advisory-all-16-18-1-5l-turbos.38962/page-7

To keep this as short as possible with the above topic reference, I was running extremely rich to the point it maxed out the STFT and LTFT values and caused the P0172 code. There is a recall letter for this so I thought it was related to that. I flashed to stock and the issue still seemed to be present. I ended up removing my PRL catted downpipe, front pipe, and AFE intake, put all the stock parts on, then flashed back to stock in preparation to take the car in for warranty service. The only thing left on the car was the 3" catback with muffler/resonator deletes.

After removing those parts my fuel trim issues appear to have disappeared (STFT spikes occasionally to -10 for a short second but is usually -1 to -4, same thing for LTFT). My PRL catted downpipe was damaged (if I shook the pipe, the catalyst material inside would slide back and forth and it was flaking inside the pipe). I don't know if that could've been the cause of my issues. In any case I messaged PRL about this and they said it was a known problem with some of the v1 pipes from the earlier batches that shipped last year, and they are sending me a v2 catted downpipe free under warranty.

I was suggested by some users to post my tune files from my custom dyno tune to see if the tuner messed something up and caused permanent damage to my car. At this point I need to find out where the problem lies so, it's obviously with the downpipe, front pipe, intake, or tune. If there's anything wrong with the tune files please let me know, as I would need some concrete examples to confront my tuner if that's the case.

Here is a link to the tune files. The first one is the original, the second one is some revisions he sent me via email afterwards to correct idle and other things like disabling some codes, and changing something related to "mafscale"

https://filebin.net/153k9yzfhv6k9ma6
Sponsored

Last edited:

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Backfiring and running rich will for sure damage a catalytic if you back fire often. basically burning the catalyst material

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Backfiring and running rich will for sure damage a catalytic if you back fire often. basically burning the catalyst material
That makes sense, but at this point I need to verify that the tune I paid $500 for is good. I’m hoping somebody here who is knowledgeable with it is nice enough to take the short time to check over my file and see if something is really wrong.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That makes sense, but at this point I need to verify that the tune I paid $500 for is good. I’m hoping somebody here who is knowledgeable with it is nice enough to take the short time to check over my file and see if something is really wrong.
Sometimes it's more than the Tuner. If you don't tell the tuner to be conservative on the car instead of pushing it for numbers, who really is to blame?
At the end of the day you can't really say unless the datalog shows something is severely off.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The best thing you can post here is going to be a datalog. There are several site experienced site members that can review how your car is running and offer input.

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The best thing you can post here is going to be a datalog. There are several site experienced site members that can review how your car is running and offer input.
I’ll get to that as I start putting my parts back on. I just got my warranty replacement PRL downpipe since the one i had was defective (cat slid around inside/loose) don’t know if that was my issue. Been driving around stock for about 600 miles and all my issues disappeared.

Downpipe and frontpipe is getting reinstalled tomorrow. Will drive with those for a bit to make sure nothing comes up, then I’ll reinstall my intake. If everything is still in the clear, I’ll reflash my tune and do a datalog.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Since your DP catalyst was already identified as “defective” - it wasn’t your tune.

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since your DP catalyst was already identified as “defective” - it wasn’t your tune.
Looks like the damaged downpipe was indeed the issue. The new downpipe and the rest of my parts are back on and my tune is reflashed, and everything seems to be good.

Here's a datalog I took last night. LTFT is staying at 0% or +/-2. If anybody can take a look if I need to do anything further it’d be much appreciated!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09082757974037811239

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag