Did I over rev?..

Matt2525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
Okay so I got the car roughly 4 months ago with 20,000 miles. It’s a 2017 civic si coupe. Starting to realize now I should’ve just got a brand new 2018.
About a month ago I was accelerating in 4th gear, got to about 5000rpm and went to shift into 5th but it went into 3rd... I immediately pushed the clutch in. If I over revved would it have gone past the rev limiter? Is there any way to have it checked for over rev codes without taking it to the dealership? Is there any way to clear an over rev code? Im just stressing because I swear it ticks way louder than it did before. I know these cars have loud injectors I’m just scared something is gonna break in the future and they’ll deny my warranty because of an over rev..

Also on a completely unrelated subject I noticed 2 other things since like a week after I got the car. If I’m driving in any gear especially the lower gears, and I speed up just a little bit then let off the gas completely, I feel a “clunk” and the car jerks forward slightly. It’s less noticeable in higher gears and absolutely terrible in first gear. I know first gear is going to be jerky but it seems really really excessive. If I let off the gas going 5 6 7 8 mph in first gear, the car jerks back and forth about 4 times until it smooths out. And if I push the gas as easy as I possibly can to accelerate again it jerks back and forth again. It does this pretty bad in 1-3. Maybe the tranny or the rear motor mount idk.. does anyone else notice this or is mine just completely fucked...

The second thing is when I’m shifting from first to second or second to third, especially after a long drive I’ll have the clutch all the way to the floor, and when it actually clicks into gear (still holding the clutch all the way in) I hear a pretty loud clunk from underneath the car. It’s not coming from the shifter assembly itself and it doesn’t do it if the cars isnt moving. I would just take it to the dealership but I’m scared they’ll see an over rev code and deny my warranty. And I’ll really be fucked. So I wanna get that situation sorted out first. Has anyone else experienced anything like that? Is that just how these cars are or what? Any input will help. Thank you if you actually took the time to read the whole thing..
Sponsored

Deleted member

Do you know how fast you were going? I don't know the exact speed off the top of my head but you can go a little over 80mph in 3rd. If you weren't going that fast then you didn't over rev.

As far as the jerkiness when letting off the gas pedal in low gears at slow speeds- completely normal.

Not sure what the clunk sound could be.

OP
OP
Matt2525

Matt2525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
I honestly don’t remember how fast I was going it had to close to 80 though..that makes me feel a lot better about that at least. What about the noise when shifting have you experienced anything like that? I’ll try to get a video when I get off work

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
How many manual cars have you owned? Were any of them 2l or smaller engines? I ask because I've owned several manual transmissions and the smaller engines were more prone to lurching when lifting off the throttle.

$0.02

OP
OP
Matt2525

Matt2525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
How many manual cars have you owned? Were any of them 2l or smaller engines? I ask because I've owned several manual transmissions and the smaller engines were more prone to lurching when lifting off the throttle.

$0.02
I understand some is normal but its worse than any manual car I’ve ever driven. Had an older civic ex with 200,000 miles on it that didn’t jerk as much.. Even if it is normal, why would it clunk every time I upshift ?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Half of the time when I shift in my Type R I get a clunk (that or its notchy). I chalked it up as normal behavior.

Sal Bandini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Difference from 4th to 3rd is 33% (1.02 vs 1.36) so your RPM would increase by 33%. At 5000 RPM in 4th you would be just under 6700 RPM in 3rd.

Not an over rev.

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
Also on a completely unrelated subject I noticed 2 other things since like a week after I got the car. If I’m driving in any gear especially the lower gears, and I speed up just a little bit then let off the gas completely, I feel a “clunk” and the car jerks forward slightly. It’s less noticeable in higher gears and absolutely terrible in first gear. I know first gear is going to be jerky but it seems really really excessive. If I let off the gas going 5 6 7 8 mph in first gear, the car jerks back and forth about 4 times until it smooths out. And if I push the gas as easy as I possibly can to accelerate again it jerks back and forth again. It does this pretty bad in 1-3. Maybe the tranny or the rear motor mount idk.. does anyone else notice this or is mine just completely fucked...
On your dash switch to the throttle mapping view (where it shows how much gas you are giving the car). You will see that in jerks it is the computer switching between sending gas and no gas. When you are pressing lightly there is a minimum amount of fuel it sends, you will see the jerking matches when the car is sending fuel or cuts off. It's part of the drive by wire system, annoying I agree. You can feel it in the higher gears with light throttle also.

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
I remember from one of the other money shift threads, Honda allegedly told the guy that the ECU records an overrev event if the engine RPM exceeds 10,000. If this is accurate, you were nowhere near there. You're probably safe.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Okay so I got the car roughly 4 months ago with 20,000 miles. It’s a 2017 civic si coupe. Starting to realize now I should’ve just got a brand new 2018.
About a month ago I was accelerating in 4th gear, got to about 5000rpm and went to shift into 5th but it went into 3rd... I immediately pushed the clutch in. If I over revved would it have gone past the rev limiter? Is there any way to have it checked for over rev codes without taking it to the dealership? Is there any way to clear an over rev code? Im just stressing because I swear it ticks way louder than it did before. I know these cars have loud injectors I’m just scared something is gonna break in the future and they’ll deny my warranty because of an over rev..

The second thing is when I’m shifting from first to second or second to third, especially after a long drive I’ll have the clutch all the way to the floor, and when it actually clicks into gear (still holding the clutch all the way in) I hear a pretty loud clunk from underneath the car. It’s not coming from the shifter assembly itself and it doesn’t do it if the cars isnt moving. I would just take it to the dealership but I’m scared they’ll see an over rev code and deny my warranty. And I’ll really be fucked. So I wanna get that situation sorted out first. Has anyone else experienced anything like that? Is that just how these cars are or what? Any input will help. Thank you if you actually took the time to read the whole thing..
Regarding the bouncing in low gears: is the car flashed with the KTuner rev hang delete? If so, then it will do this - the throttle closure can feel a bit abrupt. If not, it could be normal, or you may have a torn bushing on one of your motor mounts. I had a 5th gen Prelude and the normal behavior for that car would be just like this if you let off the gas abruptly in 2nd.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
For what it's worth, an over-rev code is a burn in code, you can't clear it. Assuming the over-rev code is stored in the ECU, you could replace the ECU, you'd probably have to bring it in to the dealer to have the immobilizer stuff sync'd up though.

As far as I know, they're not going to look for over-rev codes unless you're in a situation where they're looking at replacing your whole motor or transmission.

In general, techs would rather get cars in and out and not spend time digging through the ECU for fun if there's no reason to look at the ECU.

Take your car in and have it looked at, there's no cheap way around a stored over-rev code, you might as well find out what's going on with your car.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag

Can't comment on the over-rev.

Pertaining lurching and clunks: I have both and it's quite annoying. Not only the car lurches when on/off the gas but it clunks. Same with the upshifting 1-2-3" Clunk_Clunk_Clunk. I have 24k miles on the car and it's been doing that since day one. perhaps not as pronounced as it does right now.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
For what it's worth, an over-rev code is a burn in code, you can't clear it. Assuming the over-rev code is stored in the ECU, you could replace the ECU, you'd probably have to bring it in to the dealer to have the immobilizer stuff sync'd up though.

As far as I know, they're not going to look for over-rev codes unless you're in a situation where they're looking at replacing your whole motor or transmission.

In general, techs would rather get cars in and out and not spend time digging through the ECU for fun if there's no reason to look at the ECU.

Take your car in and have it looked at, there's no cheap way around a stored over-rev code, you might as well find out what's going on with your car.
when i tried to get the shitty grindy trans fixed in my 9th gen si, they checked the ecu and told me i over revved it at some point.

stealershits will do anything and everything they can to deny warranty work.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag

when i tried to get the shitty grindy trans fixed in my 9th gen si, they checked the ecu and told me i over revved it at some point.

stealershits will do anything and everything they can to deny warranty work.
Sponsored