Did I just get ripped off at dealership? $350 for a B-1-2-7 service. '16 Civic EX 26000Miles

Did I get ripped off?

• Total voters

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
$80 for a cabin air filter? :spaz:
Well, at the end of the day, that really has to be the dealer price.

When you look at their Mechanics "Hourly Labor Rates", the "Customer Service Advisors", overheads, all those support employees that do not actually generate sales etc, not to mention their constant need to Update their facility at Honda's whim ... that is what you are really helping to pay for.

You, buying and changing your own Cabin Air Filter is about the 2nd easiest thing you can do yourself to your car .. the 1st being filling the Gas Tank !!

But then, our Dealer could not even do that correctly -- fill the Gas Tank. !!

When we picked up our new 2018 Si a few months ago, they made a big thing about the FREE tank of Gas -- but when I questioned them, they had filled it with Regular ( 87 Octane), and the sales person seemed blissfully unaware that the car should really use premium (92 or 93 Octane), especially if it is to operated in Sports Mode (as it was in during Test Drive) :dunno:

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
This is the second "I got ripped off" thread I have come across. Then there is another recent thread about someone rounding the screws for the air filter box.

A great public service to CivicX owners would be to have a thread that outlines how to do each maintenance item that is DIY'able so as to save a trip to the stealerships. I'd love to see such a thread created and pinned

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think up here (Canada) we have to worry much about flash point

I'm sure you don't mean flash point, you mean boiling point. To get the brake fluid to boil the brakes have to be dragging and it takes a lot of heat to make it boil.
You're right. Not sure why I said flash, we're not talking about combustible fluids.

When you smash your brakes, your creating a TON of heat on the caliper piston. Behind that caliper is all brake fluid pushing on it. If it gets hot enough and the boiling point of your brake fluid has been compromised by H2O, that brake fluid can vaporize causing an air pocket behind the caliper piston. This results in your brakes failing.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
$23.08 Idemitsu 0w20 Full Synthetic: https://www.amazon.com/Idemitsu-Synthetic-0W-20-Engine-GF-5-5/dp/B072KDRZFC
$11.99 Napa Platinum Oil Filter: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PFL47356?searchCategory=1.3&searchIndex=App
$11.64 500mL MOTUL DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ZQMKS&linkId=757c9d6415d7415df01d1a025e15b2b9

Brake fluid flushing can be annoying, but it's pretty easy to do, just needs two people ideally. Three to have someone filling the master cylinder. One person applying brakes, one person opening the valves. You can honestly do it yourself, it just takes 5x as long. A child could do the brake pressing piece.

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
WOW... you got ass-fucked!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
$23.08 Idemitsu 0w20 Full Synthetic: https://www.amazon.com/Idemitsu-Synthetic-0W-20-Engine-GF-5-5/dp/B072KDRZFC
$11.99 Napa Platinum Oil Filter: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PFL47356?searchCategory=1.3&searchIndex=App
$11.64 500mL MOTUL DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ZQMKS&linkId=757c9d6415d7415df01d1a025e15b2b9

Brake fluid flushing can be annoying, but it's pretty easy to do, just needs two people ideally. Three to have someone filling the master cylinder. One person applying brakes, one person opening the valves. You can honestly do it yourself, it just takes 5x as long. A child could do the brake pressing piece.

With a "One-Way Valve" in the bleed line, its really quite easy and reasonably quick to do it all yourself without any help.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen the activity pop back up on this thread but... the ship has long sailed. OPs probably at his next oil change by now. OP said the service he got in the first post. He's from Cali, not Canada for those who just shotgun posted off of checking 'new posts'.

Some good info coming in... but as for the (intermittently) constructive criticism, It was 6 months to the day the OP asked the question and it was well answered that day and in the few days that followed.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've seen the activity pop back up on this thread but... the ship has long sailed. OPs probably at his next oil change by now. OP said the service he got in the first post. He's from Cali, not Canada for those who just shotgun posted off of checking 'new posts'.

Some good info coming in... but as for the (intermittently) constructive criticism, It was 6 months to the day the OP asked the question and it was well answered that day and in the few days that followed.
Its a Topic that unfortunately will probably never go away ..

Being "Ripped off by Dealers" :- and there are always new victims, who are not aware of the facts.

So personally, I cannot see the harm is continuing the thread under this topic, and discussing the matter - at least until this ripping off stops.

There are still some new to the experience, that believe that Dealers are GODS, and can do no harm.
I would argue that a lot of them are the exact opposite.

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I just get ripped off at dealership? $350 for a B-1-2-7 service. '16 Civic EX 26000Miles CPS60-Wrench-Devil__87362.1293914640.1280.1280

Last edited:

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
I'm in the 3rd year of a 3-year-lease and I just went in for maintenance. 26,000 miles. 2016 Civic EX

$350?! That's more than a monthly payment, and when they read what they did... oil change, tire rotation, cabin filter change and brake fluid change... really?

If it's really this much maintenance on a Lease in the 3rd year, then what's the point? Might as well either start financing at year 2, or just start a new lease and get free maintenance as you do at the beginning?

Your thoughts??
It is a dealer, what do you expect? Plus, their filters prices are jacked about 400% than average OEM market selling price. Actually, that seems about right for the services you get from a dealer.

Hey, its a lease. Why even bother? Just curious...

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
My dealership started giving 3yr instead of 2yr free maintenance when I bought our current Hondas. I had to remind them when we were doing the paperwork because they tried slipping 2yr in there. I'm going to have to fight them next year because I noticed last time my wife brought her crv home from the diff fluid swap I noticed the invoice cited 2 years maintenance...

I only take it to the dealer while it's free. Never after. I do hate rotating tires in the driveway with one jack though... Can't wait to move somewhere I can install a lift. I don't let the dealer touch my wheels when the car is there...
OMG, my salesman neglected to even give me the dam FIRST OIL CHANGE FREE! Can you believe?? I called him and he said "yea yea, ill see. I will call you back". Needless to say, I never heard from him again.

F you too salesman, f you too.

twaugh5

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Did you get a A127 service or a B127 service? They are very different, an A service means just oil change (oil filter or not might differ between Canada and U.S.) and B service is a full brake inspection, cleaning and lubricating as well as the oil change. If you didn't mistype then it does sound fair, brake service is quite a bit more work than an oil change.

Do note that Canadian civics list '0' as oil and filter change and '9' is the brake service, B is both.
The local Honda dealer pads the B127 service with BG additives that bring the total cost to almost $800.00. The Basic Honda service is $437.00 and includes replacing the manual transmission fluid which Honda does not require. They claim the BG additives are needed to maintain the Honda warranty but don't put that in writing.

Trooper

First Name
Larry R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I am going about to go through the same 2-year services. A-7-9

Oil Change from 79.50 to 110
Brake line flush and change fluid from 79.95 to 160.
Service brakes 50-165
All prices in Cad$
It pays to shop around and the dealer admitted to me that the brake fluid flush and change is a 2 yr thing the1st time and then every 3 years after that.
Cabin filters ever 2 years (eBay for under $10) and engine filter, I went with the life-time K&N filter.
I wouldn't use that dealership anymore without checking others for prices first.

UPDATE: I have a friend that has an HRV. He has never had the # 7 service show up (change brake fluid). The vehicle is 4 1/2 years old with over 1000,000 km on it (63000 miles) Like my class A mechanic stated: he never heard of changing it at 2 yrs in. So was it Head Office giving a Bonas to the Dealerships!
Sponsored

Last edited: