Did I just get ripped off at dealership? $350 for a B-1-2-7 service. '16 Civic EX 26000Miles

Did I get ripped off?

• Total voters

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
This is another thing to make you go to the dealers, same thing for the cabin air filter, do we really need a pollen filter when the air outside is polluted with smog...lol . They build cars way better than before, so they need some inspections to attract you to the dealers.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is another thing to make you go to the dealers, same thing for the cabin air filter, do we really need a pollen filter when the air outside is polluted with smog...lol . They build cars way better than before, so they need some inspections to attract you to the dealers.
:thumbsup:

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm in the 3rd year of a 3-year-lease and I just went in for maintenance. 26,000 miles. 2016 Civic EX

$350?!
Your thoughts??
1- IMO too early to replace a breake fluid; waiste of money (and time ) and polution
2- 3 years lease, is another reason to forget that

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
im going to do all the servce myself how do you guys go about documenting the services like brake fluid changes? just save reciepts for fluids? i dont want to risk any warrranty denials by doing it myself. but dont want some young kid learning to work on cars doing the work and getting ripped off for it.

im fully capable of doing all maintance.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I keep reciepts from what I bough, write date I do work and car milleage
Next time you take your car in for a Dealer "Maintenance" Service, ask the Service Manager if you can watch and witness the service work being done ....:rofl:
(Don't waste time talking to the "Customer Service Relationship Advisor ... whatever")

Then sit back and listen to the stream of reasons why they don't want you to see what happens (or does NOT happen) "Out the back" .

If you really want to mess with them .. come prepared.

When they tell you they would "like to allow it", but their INSURANCE does not cover it, tell them "NO PROBLEM" and whip out your pre-prepared Insurance Indemnity Form, and tell them that YOUR personal Insurance Does cover it .... as you put on your Safety Glasses ... :lol:

If you could capture this on a cell phone, GUARANTEED VIRAL VIDEO !!!

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
Did you get a A127 service or a B127 service? They are very different, an A service means just oil change (oil filter or not might differ between Canada and U.S.) and B service is a full brake inspection, cleaning and lubricating as well as the oil change. If you didn't mistype then it does sound fair, brake service is quite a bit more work than an oil change.

Do note that Canadian civics list '0' as oil and filter change and '9' is the brake service, B is both.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you get a A127 service or a B127 service? They are very different, an A service means just oil change (oil filter or not might differ between Canada and U.S.) and B service is a full brake inspection, cleaning and lubricating as well as the oil change. If you didn't mistype then it does sound fair, brake service is quite a bit more work than an oil change.

Do note that Canadian civics list '0' as oil and filter change and '9' is the brake service, B is both.
Cleaning and lubricating what? You act like that's such a large amount of work. I haven't been under my car enough to know, but even if we had grease-able fittings on every suspension joint it would only take 10mins to inspect brakes and grease those joints.

Save yourself thousands a year and learn how to do these things yourself. Oil changes, brake rotor/pad swaps, and coolant related work is stupid easy.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Do you really need to change your brake fluid? Seems very early
I think the code is A1 7, and yes it should be changed every 3 years minimum. It's more a preventative thing but you don't want to wait until brake fluid goes bad lol.

Agree with others that most of those items can be done for relatively cheap. That said, the brake bleed is one thing that can get tricky. Dealerships use a power bleeder to cycle the fluid and prevent air from seeping into the system. And while the manual process is fairly straightforward and cheap, I can't tell you how many threads I've seen of DIY guys on other boards complaining of a mushy brake pedal.

EDIT: I know a lot of owners like to go extended intervals without swapping out the brake fluid. I will simply say that I've seen brake fluid fail as early as 40K and go as long as 170K+. Highly dependent on driving habits, environment, and the manufacturer.

Last edited:

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I replace brake fluid about every 4-5 years, I go with time, not with mileage. Brake fluid will get darker with time because it absorbs moisture from the air and the brake system will be prone to corrosion.
I think it's a waste of time to replace before.
The main reason it's called in the MM it's because the dealers want to see you

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I replace brake fluid about every 4-5 years, I go with time, not with mileage. Brake fluid will get darker with time because it absorbs moisture from the air and the brake system will be prone to corrosion.
I think it's a waste of time to replace before.
The main reason it's called in the MM it's because the dealers want to see you
It's not so much the corrosion of the system as it's lowering the flash point of the fluid. Older fluid has more of a chance to fail under an emergency stop.

That said... There are cars out there with 20 year old brake fluid that are stopping just fine still :p

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
It's not so much the corrosion of the system as it's lowering the flash point of the fluid. Older fluid has more of a chance to fail under an emergency stop.

That said... There are cars out there with 20 year old brake fluid that are stopping just fine still :p
I don't think up here (Canada) we have to worry much about flash point

I'm sure you don't mean flash point, you mean boiling point. To get the brake fluid to boil the brakes have to be dragging and it takes a lot of heat to make it boil.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Here in Canada:

1. OEM air filter: $18 USD, takes 3 minutes to replace. Requires an 8mm socket that costs under a dollar.

2. Cabin air filter: I see generic brand name replacements for under $10 USD on Amazon. Takes 3 minutes to replace, no tools required.

3. 5L of Quaker state 0W20 is $20 USD at Walmart Canada. Mobil 1 M110 filter is $10 USD. $28 USD labour cost at a drive-in lube place. Includes checkover of under of car. Total=$48 USD

4. Tire rotation. Strongly recommend investing in a hydraulic jack and a set of jackstands and a torque wrench. Takes 1 hour at most for a beginner.

5. I don't know about the brake fluid change, but surely it cannot be more than $120 USD.
Sponsored