Did I just get ripped off at dealership? $350 for a B-1-2-7 service. '16 Civic EX 26000Miles

Did I get ripped off?

• Total voters

civic2016fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 EX
I'm in the 3rd year of a 3-year-lease and I just went in for maintenance. 26,000 miles. 2016 Civic EX

$350?! That's more than a monthly payment, and when they read what they did... oil change, tire rotation, cabin filter change and brake fluid change... really?

If it's really this much maintenance on a Lease in the 3rd year, then what's the point? Might as well either start financing at year 2, or just start a new lease and get free maintenance as you do at the beginning?

Your thoughts??
Sponsored

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
I'm in the 3rd year of a 3-year-lease and I just went in for maintenance. 26,000 miles. 2016 Civic EX

$350?! That's more than a monthly payment, and when they read what they did... oil change, tire rotation, cabin filter change and brake fluid change... really?

If it's really this much maintenance on a Lease in the 3rd year, then what's the point? Might as well either start financing at year 2, or just start a new lease and get free maintenance as you do at the beginning?

Your thoughts??
Honestly, seems like alot.
Oil change $40
Tire rotation Do it in your drive way for free
Cabin filter $25 and takes 10 minutes to change
Unsure of brake fluid change but in couldnt image it would cost $285 for it

streetwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag

Your thoughts??
going for same service 20k service Saturday. Oil change, brake fluid change, filter change, brake and suspension check, tire rotation. They said 180 plus tax. Always call different dealerships. my wifes mazda went for an oil change I got the bill it was 98.00 went to a different one it was 55.

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
At a normal dealership this is what I would expect to pay for these services:

oil change ($40-50)
tire rotation ($20-30)
Cabin air filter ($50)
Brake fluid (anywhere from $100-160 or more)

So adding the high numbers in my parentheses gives you a total of $290.

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
At a normal dealership this is what I would expect to pay for these services:

oil change ($40-50)
tire rotation ($20-30)
Cabin air filter ($50)
Brake fluid (anywhere from $100-160 or more)

So adding the high numbers in my parentheses gives you a total of $290.
Forgot to mention that sometimes it better to just ask for all these services individually instead of asking for a "20,000 mile service". When you call it a "xxxx mile service," the dealership usually charges a lot more for it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DIY...

Oil change + filter $25-30 (it can be nearly double if you're an oil snob)
Cabin filter $10-15
DIY Brake bleed (rent bleeder from any auto parts store and return for all your money) Maybe $10 for brake fluid.
Rotation: No cost.
About $50.

What I've seen for pricing at places...

Full synthetic oil change $~50
Cabin filter ~$35
Brake flush~$100
Tire rotation (+multipoint inspection) $20

About at $200. I've seen the oil changes cheaper. I'd say is somewhere in the realm of yes and hell yes.

Last edited:

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I posted this on the other thread. I've owned 5 vehicles, I DIY but if I didn't I would never agree to this nonsense. *knockonwood I never had any issues.

If you're really concerned, you can shop around and I'm sure it will only cost half what dealerships are asking.

They even use scare tactics telling customers how their warranty will be voided. Happened to my sister.

Majority are just inspections, who knows if they actually do it.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealership was charging
19.99-tire rotation
99.99- brake flush
80.00 -cabin filter
45.95 oil change
They never charged me for the oil change , I had a coupon both times,and that cabin filter price is,well ,highway robbery. It can be changed for less than 20.00 and that's if you buy a fancy filter,lol

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
This is always a tough one to say, because at the end of the day, when you pay for a dealership tech to work on your car, you're not paying a different rate based on how complex that work is. You're paying someone trained to do something much more complex to do menial work. Paying someone like that to do an oil change or filter change is kind of like paying a software developer to do data entry. You can save a LOT of money DIY'ing some of that (tire rotation is relatively easy, cabin air filter is a 5-10 minute job if you're doing it for the first time). Just those two things can save you $50-75 without having any specialized technical knowledge.

Changing oil is not difficult, but requires that you have a flat surface on which to work, and either own, can purchase, or borrow certain gear (a good jack, jack stands, sockets, oil drain pan, et cetera - most of which can be used for other car work). But when you can DIY and use full synthetic for $25, compared to at LEAST $50-75 getting it done, that's not too bad. The brake bleed itself is more difficult to do yourself if you aren't experienced, and requires either a lot more effort, or a helper, to get done.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
My dealership was charging
19.99-tire rotation
99.99- brake flush
80.00 -cabin filter
45.95 oil change
They never charged me for the oil change , I had a coupon both times,and that cabin filter price is,well ,highway robbery. It can be changed for less than 20.00 and that's if you buy a fancy filter,lol
$80 cabin filter ; 5 minutes and $15 filter,dealer cost ?

2 / $19 at Walmart;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-R...tomotive-Activated-Carbon-ACF-11182/804378599

PhotoVoltaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just had the same service done recently, and it came out to about $190. I opted out of the cabin air filter change, though, and did it myself. It's stupid-easy to change yourself, and only costs ~$15, vs the nearly $100 they want to charge to do it.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
My dealership started giving 3yr instead of 2yr free maintenance when I bought our current Hondas. I had to remind them when we were doing the paperwork because they tried slipping 2yr in there. I'm going to have to fight them next year because I noticed last time my wife brought her crv home from the diff fluid swap I noticed the invoice cited 2 years maintenance...

I only take it to the dealer while it's free. Never after. I do hate rotating tires in the driveway with one jack though... Can't wait to move somewhere I can install a lift. I don't let the dealer touch my wheels when the car is there...
Sponsored