SpeedDemon

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Hello Fellow Civic Si Enthusiatics,

I am new here and bought a 2019 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue in February. I bought it out of state and drove it 700 miles to my residence. When I got the car at the dealership the sales man indicated that they done everything in the car for delivery when I left including the tire pressure.

As other threads have indicated, I should have checked the tire pressure. This is my daily 50 miles/day commutter car to work and I now have 1700 miles. Today I washed the car and I checked the tire pressure:
Front: 39 Back: 38

I feel like a fool for not checking before, did I damage my summer performance tires or anything else on the car by driving 1700 miles with very high tire pressure? I am surprised I am averaging ~40mph in my daily commute 75 highway and 25 streets. Of course I am now 33 front and 32 back, make sure to check your tire pressure right after you buy the car. Will never trust a dealership again!

How bad did I screw up here fellas?

Thanks,

SpeedDemon
Sponsored

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello Fellow Civic Si Enthusiatics,

I am new here and bought a 2019 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue in February. I bought it out of state and drove it 700 miles to my residence. When I got the car at the dealership the sales man indicated that they done everything in the car for delivery when I left including the tire pressure.

As other threads have indicated, I should have checked the tire pressure. This is my daily 50 miles/day commutter car to work and I now have 1700 miles. Today I washed the car and I checked the tire pressure:
Front: 39 Back: 38

I feel like a fool for not checking before, did I damage my summer performance tires or anything else on the car by driving 1700 miles with very high tire pressure? I am surprised I am averaging ~40mph in my daily commute 75 highway and 25 streets. Of course I am now 33 front and 32 back, make sure to check your tire pressure right after you buy the car. Will never trust a dealership again!

How bad did I screw up here fellas?

Thanks,

SpeedDemon
Your tires will be fine.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dad just bought a used vw cc...I know I know I tried to steer him away from vw but he’s been stuck for awhile.

After a few weeks he told me the ride was real rough after taking the car for a drive it felt like he was driving on rocks, I checked the tire pressure and he had one tire at 48psi, the other 3 were at 63 and 64psi

I did notice the front tires had some nasty wear along the middles and we replaced those but the rears seemed to still be fine

With only a few extra psi in yours, I doubt there is any damage at all, if there is pretty sure the 19si was not supposed to be released with the summer tires and there is a recall to have them replaced with the a/s it was supposed to have, could always go get them switched out

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
@SpeedDemon
The vehicle was purchased outside the altitude from which you live. Air provides LESS resistance at higher altitudes and therefor your tires would increase in pressure.
Since your location is approx 5,000/ft elevation, there's your resolve.

There is also the factor of checking your air pressure when the vehicle has rested and when the vehicle has been driven.

Before blowing off at your plenum and blaming someone else, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

OP
OP
SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
My dad just bought a used vw cc...I know I know I tried to steer him away from vw but he’s been stuck for awhile.

After a few weeks he told me the ride was real rough after taking the car for a drive it felt like he was driving on rocks, I checked the tire pressure and he had one tire at 48psi, the other 3 were at 63 and 64psi

I did notice the front tires had some nasty wear along the middles and we replaced those but the rears seemed to still be fine

With only a few extra psi in yours, I doubt there is any damage at all, if there is pretty sure the 19si was not supposed to be released with the summer tires and there is a recall to have them replaced with the a/s it was supposed to have, could always go get them switched out
Thank you Alex and Lazylahma for the responses, you eased my mind a lot! Yes I keep reading about the recall for the 2019 Si summer tires but I have checked with my VIN multiple times at the Honda website and it indicates no recalls.

I have the sticker for my car and it indicates "18'' Alloy Wheels R18 High Performance Tires". Is the recall for all 2019 Civic Si with High Performance Tires or only those that that were supposed to get the All year round tires and instead got the summer High performance tires by mistake?

I keep reading in this forum that the high performance tires do not last long, Tirerack.com has mixed reviews from 2000 miles to 10000 miles but apparently most people only make it 2000-5000 mile.

I guess I should rotate the tires by now and have the thread checked as well.

Cheers,
SpeedDemon

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be honest I’m not 100% sure as I don’t have an si, my cousin just bought one and was telling me about it as he was trying to decide to go in to get the new tires...I would contact your dealer and find out if your going to be able to get them or not, if you do find out when you have to do it by and have some fun with those summers since I believe the dealer has to take them and destroy them anyway

OP
OP
SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
@SpeedDemon
The vehicle was purchased outside the altitude from which you live. Air provides LESS resistance at higher altitudes and therefor your tires would increase in pressure.
Since your location is approx 5,000/ft elevation, there's your resolve.

There is also the factor of checking your air pressure when the vehicle has rested and when the vehicle has been driven.

Before blowing off at your plenum and blaming someone else, check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Thank you RJ, that is a good point! Yes I bought the car at 2000 feet elevation and I do live at a very high elevation of 5300 feet. I did check the vehicle pressure rested but after a short drive. Will check again as car has rested for 3 hours to ensure that I did not under inflate.

I will do the math (PV=nRT) and see if 3300 feet is equal to a 6 psi difference in pressure.

OP
OP
SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
To be honest I’m not 100% sure as I don’t have an si, my cousin just bought one and was telling me about it as he was trying to decide to go in to get the new tires...I would contact your dealer and find out if your going to be able to get them or not, if you do find out when you have to do it by and have some fun with those summers since I believe the dealer has to take them and destroy them anyway
Yes Lazylahma great advice, I will call the closest Honda dealership and ask them. If I indeed get new tires per the recall my drive will definitely be more spirited and fun this summer!

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Thank you RJ, that is a good point! Yes I bought the car at 2000 feet elevation and I do live at a very high elevation of 5300 feet. I did check the vehicle pressure rested but after a short drive. Will check again as car has rested for 3 hours to ensure that I did not under inflate.

I will do the math (PV=nRT) and see if 3300 feet is equal to a 6 psi difference in pressure.
If you just by chance happened to remember the ambient air temperature and the fact of checking before/after driving on the tires - then you could adjust from there.
Honestly, without doing the math the 3300ft difference would increase your tire pressure by 3-4psi and then you add a bit of heat from rolling and you'll be right at the target you explained.

No sweat...just remember "altitude" as you travel for just about everything Forced Induction related :)
Cheers...

alduke22

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Honda S2000
Country flag
I didn't think summer tires were in option anymore in 2019?

OP
OP
SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
I didn't think summer tires were in option anymore in 2019?
Great advice RJ, thank you will do!

Interesting to hear alduke22 that you do not think that the summer tires were an option anymore in 2019.

I definitely have the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 on my 2019 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue.

Below is what the dealership listed in their website for my car

Also below is the sticker on my car clearly states that I have Summer High Performance Performance Tires "These unique high performance tires are not for winter driving and will wear more rapidly than not passenger tires"

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I destroy my Summer Tires? Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 7.31.41 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I destroy my Summer Tires? Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 7.44.10 PM

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Your fine, that’s not too high. Those numbers are a recommended value for comfort and handling. I have Michelin PS4s and originally went 34F 33R. Ride felt sluggish and sidewalls looked compressed. Finally settled on 40F 39R. Car drives great ever since.
BTW those A/S tires are shit. Be thankful they gave you the “wrong” tire for no additional charge

Last edited:

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The problem with the window sticker and the tires that come with the car mainly had to do with the northern states that get snow. Those window stickers said all season tires but the cars had summer tires on them. That’s what got people concerned for their cars and their own safety.

Because of where you live, I’d drive the tires down and when the time comes, replace them with a better high mileage tire. There is no need for a performance tire unless you plan to race. Use common sense and you’ll be fine.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
So OP has one of the cars where the dealer replaced the window sticker as part of the TSB. Wonder how many dealers did that as opposed to replacing the tires of the cars in their inventory, since that was an option as well?

OP
OP
SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
So OP has one of the cars where the dealer replaced the window sticker as part of the TSB. Wonder how many dealers did that as opposed to replacing the tires of the cars in their inventory, since that was an option as well?
Thank you butcher and Fenix for the explanation and details. Plan to go on these tires to around 10-15k miles depending on thread wear and replacing them with high mileage michelin tires.
Sponsored