Did I bungle the wiring during my LED upgrade?

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Folks,

I have a question for someone who's more familiar than I am with wiring, electronics, and specifically lighting:

Background:

I recently upgraded all my lights to LEDs and was running into the usual hyperflash problem you get after about a minute, which has been pretty well described around the forums. I eventually found a decent supposedly plug-and-play resistor solution (it was not, but picture below) but in the end, because the sockets that came with the resistors failed to secure into my bulb housings, I actually had to cut the red/white and green wires on the side with the female socket, and then splice in an OEM socket I got from Honda.

My question is this:

Is it possible that I had crossed the wires (the red/white and green cables on the side with the gray female socket in that picture) backwards, thereby putting the whole system at risk? Or does it not matter which end connects to the elements on the bulb, because the system works either way?

The bulbs all seem to work just fine, and I have not fried any of the circuit breakers. Just wondering whether there's a potential for risk, and I should disassemble and look for another solution. Thanks in advance!

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I bungle the wiring during my LED upgrade? PUTCO resistors
Sponsored

OP
OP
DyM

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...anyone?

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Pretty sure with LEDs, polarity matters. Meaning that if you spliced them reverse polarity, the lights wouldn't be working at all.

OP
OP
DyM

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Right, that's what I thought too, but just not sure what's inside those housings. Usually it's a hunk of metal with a wire out of each side. In this case, there's 2 wires coming out each side. They definitely do work, and have solved my hyperblink problem, but I'm still wondering whether an improper installation could put the whole electrical system at risk. I've been hearing a bit of a buzzing/whizzing/whirring in the car recently, and can't tell whether it's mechanical or electrical. Looking to rule that out as a possible cause.

OP
OP
DyM

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much was the kit? He doesn't have a price on the youtube page. Mine was $30, and needed an additional $15 of materials to complete the work :oops:
My setup cost $80 including shipping and it’s extremely well made. I cannot recommend it highly enough :)
Sponsored

Reactions: DyM