bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
I saw it on Civic Hatchback 10th Gen Facebook group post. Some guy got his engine messed up (thrown a rod) while on the freeway. His car is tuned with Hondata +6. He claimed to drive on the freeway at 4-5k rpm. And that "it was at 11pm at night, like 70 degrees. Oil was just changed, every 3.5k honda synthetic. We had only been driving for about 30mins." He tuned it at 8k mileage, his car is now at 20k.

Anyone have any thoughts about that? I'm just kinda paranoid and scared now because my car is tuned, but with Ktuner and it's just the dual base map....

This is the picture of his engine

Honda Civic 10th gen did anyone see the fb post about the engine got messed up with a tuned civic 12
Sponsored

87Octane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
There is always more to the story. 10th gen is far from proven, but plenty of examples of it being pushed hard without this type of failure. I don't have FB, if poster updates with finding please update here. I am curious what findings are. I really doubt it was a base +6 Hondata only.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There HAS to be something missing. Perhaps a full boost money shift?

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
There HAS to be something missing. Perhaps a full boost money shift?
Can't money shift a CVT - it won't let you do that. Seems like hatchback engines are failing, even with a CVT. And we established in the other topic here that a few have reported blown engines that the hatchback 1.5T is produced out of Thailand. I suspect this could be due to possible manufacturing defects.

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Can't money shift a CVT - it won't let you do that. Seems like hatchback engines are failing, even with a CVT. And we established in the other topic here that a few have reported blown engines that the hatchback 1.5T is produced out of Thailand. I suspect this could be due to possible manufacturing defects.
Are the hatchback 1.5t engines different from sedan/coupe 1.5t engines?

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Are the hatchback 1.5t engines different from sedan/coupe 1.5t engines?
AFAIK, they should be using the same engine. The Sport versions of the hatchback making more power is mostly due to exhaust/tuning differences. Given regional differences though, there might be some internal differences, but the casting of parts is likely from different sources and produced in very different climates.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My bad, misread thinking it was a MT. :doh:

Do you know where the rod failed? Was it the rod itself that broke or the rod bolts?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
My bad, misread thinking it was a MT. :doh:

Do you know where the rod failed? Was it the rod itself that broke or the rod bolts?
the rods are benting near the top and breaking

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There has to be more to this story. That Hondata tune (and pardon my language) is mild as fuck. Hondata went very conservative with that base tune. I boosted my peak power to over 23psi with no issues. With this rash of blown engines I went back to the base +6 and it seems sluggish compared to my homemade tune. If the +6 base tune simply threw a rod in normal driving, Hondata needs to look into the legitimacy of this guy's claims.

It"s possible the rod was defective to start with and it may have happened without a tune at all. This is definitely a story we need to follow up on IMO.

realcop0794

ZURKON
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex Hatchback, 2018 Toyota RAV4 XLE
Country flag
Believe he was on 91 octane, which is not ideal. Canned tunes, by nature, are not optimized for each car and its variables (climate, elevation, etc.). Not blaming anything in particular. A freak accident for sure.
I know there's tons of opinions on this, so I'm asking for your opinion lol. I have a 18 hatch ex, nothing too fancy. No mods. I use 91-93 shell with v-power. I know I'm not getting much out of it because it's untuned and only an EX, but would you actually advise against it? Not worried about the money I'm spending on the fuel at all so I wouldn't consider that in your response. I would appreciate it. Thanks!

P.S. No intention of dragging this out.
Sponsored