Defective Clutch 2017 Honda Civic Si - Honda Refuses to fix under warranty

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
With all due respect I am not yelling at anyone and yes I know well that a clutch is a wear item however the clutch was not right from test drive I mentioned it to the sales person he said it was the turbo. Again the car has 2500 miles on it and is 8 weeks old that does not fall under normal wear. The car is not tuned, completely stock. Its a Honda civic, would you agree that the car should be able to go more than 2500 miles without a major drivetrain failure. Neither Honda or the dealership has given me any data proving that the pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing or flywheel is not defective although they said they would forensically and I quote forensically test the parts and dump the data from the pcm. It is all over the net that these failures are frequent and to upgrade to the r clutch including the dealer. One owner didn't make it 10 miles from the dealer and the clutch failed. I came on this forum looking for help. I just bought a new 2020 civic it is 8 weeks old this is unacceptable. This clutch slipped almost causing a serious accident. Do you have any suggestions. If not I apologize to you or anyone else in this forum that was offended.
Pursue legal action immediately. I would think of going to another dealership also... Totally unacceptable....
Sponsored

Frankirap

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic
Country flag
Pursue legal action immediately. I would think of going to another dealership also... Totally unacceptable....
taking every action I can when car was in for repair at Atlantic Honda and on passenger front tire they left the lock off and I didn't notice it and drove out of there with 4 lugs I was washing the car today and noticed the lug missing. Its unbelievable I just hope they didn't leave any nuts or bolts from my drivetrain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the support

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Just a thought, what if every (or significant majority) 1.5T clutch is defective? I used to have issues downshifting even while revmatching and also difficulty shifting gears in cold weather while the car is cold.

Now that I'm tuned and I've slipped the clutch a ton, these issues have gone away. Strange to think a destructive action on the clutch causes issues with it to disappear.

It's almost like the clutch was never fully disengaging properly from the factory.

I'll be taking a very, very close look at what could have caused this when I swap my clutch for an aftermarket model.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With all due respect I am not yelling at anyone and yes I know well that a clutch is a wear item however the clutch was not right from test drive I mentioned it to the sales person he said it was the turbo. Again the car has 2500 miles on it and is 8 weeks old that does not fall under normal wear. The car is not tuned, completely stock. Its a Honda civic, would you agree that the car should be able to go more than 2500 miles without a major drivetrain failure. Neither Honda or the dealership has given me any data proving that the pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing or flywheel is not defective although they said they would forensically and I quote forensically test the parts and dump the data from the pcm. It is all over the net that these failures are frequent and to upgrade to the r clutch including the dealer. One owner didn't make it 10 miles from the dealer and the clutch failed. I came on this forum looking for help. I just bought a new 2020 civic it is 8 weeks old this is unacceptable. This clutch slipped almost causing a serious accident. Do you have any suggestions. If not I apologize to you or anyone else in this forum that was offended.
He was asking about the yelling because your post was in all caps.

Rickm1088

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I have talked to corporate and they said that all they can do is trust what the dealership says. They rely on their dealership to make honest diagnostics since they cannot look at the car themselves. They took a bunch of information down and then a couple days later called me and said that their decision is that there was abuse to the car. Keep in mind they have not looked at the car at all except plugging it into a computer and saw that there were "max rev signals"
Lol I guess I'm trading in my Si nothing but bad faith by the dealer and issues that I have had to go back for, and the cherry on top is I'm not the only one having issues. Hondas service department sucks so bad and customer service is just as ignorant. Sucks I really wanted to love my Honda

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Lol I guess I'm trading in my Si nothing but bad faith by the dealer and issues that I have had to go back for, and the cherry on top is I'm not the only one having issues. Hondas service department sucks so bad and customer service is just as ignorant. Sucks I really wanted to love my Honda
Best of luck with whatever you trade for.

I can tell you first hand that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

On more than one occasion, I've personally stepped out of the frying pan and into the fire and know of others who have as well.

Last edited:

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Just a thought, what if every (or significant majority) 1.5T clutch is defective? I used to have issues downshifting even while revmatching and also difficulty shifting gears in cold weather while the car is cold.

Now that I'm tuned and I've slipped the clutch a ton, these issues have gone away. Strange to think a destructive action on the clutch causes issues with it to disappear.

It's almost like the clutch was never fully disengaging properly from the factory.

I'll be taking a very, very close look at what could have caused this when I swap my clutch for an aftermarket model.
Cold weather means gear fluid in the trans is cold and thick. Gear fluid takes a longer time to warm up compared to a engine. The dot 3 brake fluid is cold and very thick and doesn’t flow as fast. It’s typical and considered normal in cold weather.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
I find it weird that someone would test drive a car, make a complaint about clutch slippage, and still buy that same car. It’s like, why even come here to cry wolf. Does anyone remember that one guy who try blasting Honda for denying his failed car only to get exposed to having lied to us all about him not being tuned and the factory warranty means his car should be fixed.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
[
....just thinking about it... mechanical lockout or not... you'd be trying to shift to force the engine from something like 3000 RPM to something 4x that. I'm sorry... I don't see that happening. The effort to try to shift in itself would be immense. It's just not something you could do.

It's hard enough when coasting to a stop and trying to get the engine to get back into 1st w/o a throttle blip at ~5 mph if you let the revs fall to idle. I don't see this being possible. Not 1st.
there is no lock out in forward moving gears. One can very well accidentally mis-shift back into first. It happens. And how do we know the op hasn’t abused his car. Just saying we should be more objective. You’ve picked a side from the get go ahah.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
I want to know why they believe the black box on such an unlikely thing though. You'd think they'd look further into it.Do they think I'm purposely trying to ruin my car?
That is the whole point of a black box. No sob stories just facts. It records data. With data, you can conclude certain conditions and factors.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
So basically, if the clutch slips, the ECU could read the information wrong and think that it was in a gear it wasn't actually in on an Si?
No because the gear ratios are a constant. Only which gear and rpm of the motor changes. With that said, at a certain rpm you should be at a certain mph and thus the car knows what gear you’re in. If the clutch slips, the rpm will be higher than the calculated mph. You can conclude that the clutch is slipping.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
It seem to me that the information that Honda and the dealer has could be due to a different scenario then the one the they came up with. Since the revs come up when the clutch slips, an over rev situation could be because the clutch slipped and caused the over rev signal. The revs could jump up quickly, before a human could react. It could be due to the clutch slipping and not the reverse situation which they claim. The slipping could even be in second gear or higher and look to them as it was in first gear.

Not only that, but you took it in several time because of the clutch slipping and they did nothing about it. That sounds like the dealer has plenty of blame for the situation and maybe even blame for the over revs, if they exist at all. You apparently didn't know what was happening as you are not a mechanic. They were supposed to be the experts. I hope I am making sense.
In the event of clutch slippage, the rev limiter will still limit over rev lol.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
[
I was not unprofessional with them or anything. The first day the had the car, within an hour, they said they were not going to cover it under warranty and instantly started accusing me of crazy things BEFORE they had ANY information from me. The dealership decided the outcome before I was even able to tell them anything which is extremely unprofessional in my opinion. I think the dealership saw an opportunity where they thought they could make money and since I am younger, they thought they could get away with it. At least, that's what I think
did you you say you blew up at some lady at the second dealer?

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
[

there is no lock out in forward moving gears. One can very well accidentally mis-shift back into first. It happens. And how do we know the op hasn’t abused his car. Just saying we should be more objective. You’ve picked a side from the get go ahah.
It would still take a lot of force and to jam a car into 1st moving that sort of a clip. Maybe if one is white knuckle drag racing... slamming gears... but normal driving? I think it’s be pretty difficult. Just doing a rolling 2nd to 1st downshift w/o a rev match to put RPMs in the upper 1/2 of the RPM range requires deliberate effort.

However:

...your commenting on a thread and posts that are over 2 years old. I’m not sure how much value is left in digging up the horse to beat on its bones. ?

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
It would still take a lot of force and to jam a car into 1st moving that sort of a clip. Maybe if one is white knuckle drag racing... slamming gears... but normal driving? I think it’s be pretty difficult. Just doing a rolling 2nd to 1st downshift w/o a rev match to put RPMs in the upper 1/2 of the RPM range requires deliberate effort.

However:

...your commenting on a thread and posts that are over 2 years old. I’m not sure how much value is left in digging up the horse to beat on its bones. ?
Yeah, but we don’t know if he granny shifted the car. And typically miss shifts happen when you are banging gears like nhra drag car. The friction disk looked toast and could be replicated very quickly by joining around and not knowing what you’re doing. Ever see someone try a burnout and not know how to drive stick lol. It’s painful to watch and smell.
I’m curious to see if the op ever followed up on his treats to that deal. At first I get the same as you, but the more I read, the more and more I began to side with the dealer. Just curious to see the outcome. Also there was some false stuff in here I was combing through.
Sponsored