Cropduster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic i-dtec plus navi
Country flag
I have a clutch judder on my 2016 i-dtec navi plus, the local dealer found clutch fibres in the bell housing. The car has only done 31000miles and is 6 months out of warranty! Is there any known fault on 2016 clutches that might help my case? They will take it apart, take photos and send them to Honda Warranty, but there is no guarantee Honda will pay for the replacement - not at £1300 anyway!! Appalled at this unreliability.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a clutch judder on my 2016 i-dtec navi plus, the local dealer found clutch fibres in the bell housing. The car has only done 31000miles and is 6 months out of warranty! Is there any known fault on 2016 clutches that might help my case? They will take it apart, take photos and send them to Honda Warranty, but there is no guarantee Honda will pay for the replacement - not at £1300 anyway!! Appalled at this unreliability.
Sounds normal to me with these cars. Also no honda won't cover a wear and tear part like a clutch.

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
My thoughts............ Have a 09 Honda fit in the family.... It has over 160k on it with original running gear...... Your clutch gone at 31k just doesn't seem right... Defect possibly....

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My thoughts............ Have a 09 Honda fit in the family.... It has over 160k on it with original running gear...... Your clutch gone at 31k just doesn't seem right... Defect possibly....
Nope clutches on these cars are shit for this generation. Mine slipped around 1K with just a simple basemap. Then went over to clutchmaster and got the fx350 and that failed around 4-5K and now getting a custom made clutch from exedy and action. Been driving manual for over 8 years and never had an issue like this. These cars do have more torque then usual and turbo too not like NA cars with clutches.

Cropduster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic i-dtec plus navi
Country flag
Ok, so what is sh1t about the 2016 civic clutch? Is it the materials used, the build quality or something else? I ask from an engineering perspective as a retired reliability engineer.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, so what is sh1t about the 2016 civic clutch? Is it the materials used, the build quality or something else? I ask from an engineering perspective as a retired reliability engineer.
Operator error or/and adding additional torque through tuning.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Operator error or/and adding additional torque through tuning.
Actually Exedy which is the brand of our stock clutch said Honda gave them info when first released and the torque amount was under stated. I’m not sure if the new 2020 Si has a better clutch or not but I doubt they changed that.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Not allot of surface area for clutch grip that's for sure. The type R retrofit has a noticeably larger surface area to work with, which explains why people are having luck going that route. And bonus if you wear out the OEM disc just buy a staged aftermarket clutch, ment for a R, as a replacement

Frankirap

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic
Country flag
It's nothing quite so nefarious. Honda, like pretty much every other service department, pays book rate for warranty work. Meaning no matter how much or how little time it takes to fix, they'll only pay as much as the company has predetermined it takes to do the job. More often than not, it takes longer. The dealership is actually losing money by doing a clutch replacement under warranty and there's always the chance that a corporate bean counter that oversees warranty claims will deny it later.

Frankirap

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic
Country flag
I JUST PURCHSED A NEW 2020 HONDA CIVIC SI FROM ATLANTIC HONDA BAYSHORE NEW YORK IT IS 8 WEEKS OLD AND HAS 2500 MILES ON IT AND THE CLUTCH, FLYWHEEL, PRESSURE PLATE FAILED. BEFORE THE DEALER EVEN SAW MY CAR OR NEW WHAT COLOR MY CAR WAS THE SERVICE MANAGER BASICALLY TOLD MY HONDA WILL NOT COVER THE REPAIR AND IT WAS A $4000 JOB BECAUSE IT WAS CAUSED BY ABUSE AND LACK OF KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE. THE HONDA WARRANTY IS 5 YEARS 60000 MILES ON DRIVETRAIN THERE WAS ANOTHER CIVIC ON THE LIFT WITH 3900 MILES ON IT WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. I THEN SEARCHED THE NET AND FOUND MANY OWNERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM ONE CAR ONLY HAVING 10 MILES ON IT AND NEEDED TO BE TOWED BACK TO DEALER. CHRIS ALSO STATED THAT IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AND THEY NEVER COVER IT.i SO I THEN SAID WHAT IS THE COMMAN DENOMINATOR THE CAR OR ALL THE DRIVERS. I MADE A FORMAL COMPLAINT TO HONDA MET WITH THE REP AND EVEN SPOKE TO THE EXECUTIVE OFFICES THEY OFFERED NO HELP AND DIDNT COVER THEIR 5 YEAR 60000 MILE WARRANTY. I'M IN THE PROCESS OF TAKING LEGAL ACTION. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR DONT USE ATLANTIC HONDA OF BUY A HONDA. THERE IS ALSO A VALVE ON THE CAR THAT IS CALLED A CLUTCH DELAY VALVE WHICH ACTUALLY MAKE MAKES CLUTCH SLIP LOOK INTO IT. PLEASE IF YOU ARE HAVING THIS ISSUE HELP THE CAUSE AND START THE PROCESS WITH HONDA TRUST ME THEY KNOW THEY HAVE A PROBLEM

Frankirap

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic
Country flag
[/QUOTAgreed
Agreed the service manager actually had the nerve to tell me that Honda would pay him more for doing the repair. They are use to dealing with the average consumer not the educated consumer. I graduated as an A mechanic and spend my whole life driving/working on Volkswagens to Pro stocks. Its total nonsense Honda is skirting their warranty. As stated before he even saw my car he told me it would not be warrantied. This is total fraud. They need to find the problem before someone gets hurt or loses their life

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I JUST PURCHSED A NEW 2020 HONDA CIVIC SI FROM ATLANTIC HONDA BAYSHORE NEW YORK IT IS 8 WEEKS OLD AND HAS 2500 MILES ON IT AND THE CLUTCH, FLYWHEEL, PRESSURE PLATE FAILED. BEFORE THE DEALER EVEN SAW MY CAR OR NEW WHAT COLOR MY CAR WAS THE SERVICE MANAGER BASICALLY TOLD MY HONDA WILL NOT COVER THE REPAIR AND IT WAS A $4000 JOB BECAUSE IT WAS CAUSED BY ABUSE AND LACK OF KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE. THE HONDA WARRANTY IS 5 YEARS 60000 MILES ON DRIVETRAIN THERE WAS ANOTHER CIVIC ON THE LIFT WITH 3900 MILES ON IT WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. I THEN SEARCHED THE NET AND FOUND MANY OWNERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM ONE CAR ONLY HAVING 10 MILES ON IT AND NEEDED TO BE TOWED BACK TO DEALER. CHRIS ALSO STATED THAT IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AND THEY NEVER COVER IT.i SO I THEN SAID WHAT IS THE COMMAN DENOMINATOR THE CAR OR ALL THE DRIVERS. I MADE A FORMAL COMPLAINT TO HONDA MET WITH THE REP AND EVEN SPOKE TO THE EXECUTIVE OFFICES THEY OFFERED NO HELP AND DIDNT COVER THEIR 5 YEAR 60000 MILE WARRANTY. I'M IN THE PROCESS OF TAKING LEGAL ACTION. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR DONT USE ATLANTIC HONDA OF BUY A HONDA. THERE IS ALSO A VALVE ON THE CAR THAT IS CALLED A CLUTCH DELAY VALVE WHICH ACTUALLY MAKE MAKES CLUTCH SLIP LOOK INTO IT. PLEASE IF YOU ARE HAVING THIS ISSUE HELP THE CAUSE AND START THE PROCESS WITH HONDA TRUST ME THEY KNOW THEY HAVE A PROBLEM
WHY ARE YOU YELLING, and if you have worked on cars your whole life you would think you would know that a clutch is a wear item and is literally never covered by the powertrain warranty.

Frankirap

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic
Country flag
WHY ARE YOU YELLING, and if you have worked on cars your whole life you would think you would know that a clutch is a wear item and is literally never covered by the powertrain warranty.
With all due respect I am not yelling at anyone and yes I know well that a clutch is a wear item however the clutch was not right from test drive I mentioned it to the sales person he said it was the turbo. Again the car has 2500 miles on it and is 8 weeks old that does not fall under normal wear. The car is not tuned, completely stock. Its a Honda civic, would you agree that the car should be able to go more than 2500 miles without a major drivetrain failure. Neither Honda or the dealership has given me any data proving that the pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing or flywheel is not defective although they said they would forensically and I quote forensically test the parts and dump the data from the pcm. It is all over the net that these failures are frequent and to upgrade to the r clutch including the dealer. One owner didn't make it 10 miles from the dealer and the clutch failed. I came on this forum looking for help. I just bought a new 2020 civic it is 8 weeks old this is unacceptable. This clutch slipped almost causing a serious accident. Do you have any suggestions. If not I apologize to you or anyone else in this forum that was offended.

Frankirap

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic
Country flag
Not allot of surface area for clutch grip that's for sure. The type R retrofit has a noticeably larger surface area to work with, which explains why people are having luck going that route. And bonus if you wear out the OEM disc just buy a staged aftermarket clutch, ment for a R, as a replacement
Thanks for the input but I no longer trust the car. Do you agree that the car should not fail at 2500 miles? I have had an acura dealer and two other outside sources inspect the parts and they all agree that there is something wrong with either the pressure plate, clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing or the clutch delay valve. Thanks for all the input. Love the car but don't trust it anymore. Please get back to me with anything you may find thanks again.
Sponsored