shivamp

First Name
Shivam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi, I have a lip spoiler I want to install on my EX-T. I replaced the 3M tape that came with it with 3M VHB 5952, the industrial kind that everyone seems to be using for lips. I was just wondering if anybody would know how well this would hold up during Toronto winters, and also summers. Easily reaches -15 to -20 Celcius here sometimes, and 30 celcius or more in the summer. Not sure how this tape is affected by mainly the harsh cold. Before you ask, I will be washing the car, cleaning the area with alcohol, and using 3M adhesion promoter on both surfaces before applying the lip, and I will be applying the lip in a heated garage (20 celcius roughly) away from the outside cold and leaving the car in there for a few days. I also plan on using the JB Weld plastic bonder or Loctite 495 super glue in all the remaining black areas that aren't covered with 3M (see attached picture) to ensure a secure fit that would never come off, I want it to be permanently on there. I don't want to put screws through my trunk either which is why I decided to go the 3M way. Apparently most people like using 3M better anyway, but those are in all the hot places, I've yet to meet a civic driver that used 3M in pretty cold conditions. Any recommendations for types of caulk to use with the 3M instead of the JB Weld Plastic Bonder or Loctite 495? Thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Decklid lip spoiler installation help rear Li
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
Make sure that the sections of tape that but against each other really do make contact, otherwise there's a chance moisture can get in, freeze and put enough excess pressure on the lip to break the tape bond

OP
OP

shivamp

First Name
Shivam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I wouldn't use plastic weld bonder or anything like that. Just apply some 3M adhesion promoter to the decklid first and that spoiler should be on good for a very long time.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesion-Promoter-Sponge-Applicators/dp/B01G2BHLG6/
Thanks for the reply, even in the cold? 3M doesn't start to go bad after being exposed to these temperatures after a year or two? I have the 3M Adhesion Promoter and used it on the surface of the lip to attach the tape, and will be using it on the trunk as well to attach the lip to it.

OP
OP

shivamp

First Name
Shivam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Make sure that the sections of tape that but against each other really do make contact, otherwise there's a chance moisture can get in, freeze and put enough excess pressure on the lip to break the tape bond
Thank you, I will be sure to do that.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply, even in the cold? 3M doesn't start to go bad after being exposed to these temperatures after a year or two? I have the 3M Adhesion Promoter and used it on the surface of the lip to attach the tape, and will be using it on the trunk as well to attach the lip to it.
You're overthinking the cold thing. It gets pretty cold here in Maryland too and my last spoiler stayed on solid for the seven years (out in the elements, no garage) I owned it. Proper prep is the key.

OP
OP

shivamp

First Name
Shivam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
You're overthinking the cold thing. It gets pretty cold here in Maryland too and my last spoiler stayed on solid for the seven years (out in the elements, no garage) I owned it. Proper prep is the key.
Do you have any tips with how to prepare it? I will be washing, cleaning with alcohol, and using adhesion promoter like I already mentioned. See anything wrong with the way I will be doing it? Also, how long do you think it would take to fully cure before I can drive out in the elements again? Although I do understand now that I was overthinking the cold thing, I do know that installing in the cold definitely isn't good which is why I want to do it in my heated garage. I would like to avoid waiting another four months for warm weather.
Sponsored