Dear Honda, please address poor Cruise Control functionality with firmware update!

Civic4JR

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX, 2019 CR-V EX-L, 2013 Civic EX Sedan, 2009 Civic EX-L
Country flag
This pertains to my 2019 civic.

The functionality of holding down the cruise control’s speed “+/-“ buttons resulting in adjustments of 5 mph increments is dangerous!

For years, holding down the “ -“ button has resulted in a “coasting” state, where releasing the - button would set the new speed control to what the speed is at that moment on the speedometer.

Every Honda I’ve owned - and I’ve owned them going back to 1993, and our family currently owns 4 Hondas - has operated that way, as did almost every other brand of car.

To now have a holding of the “-“ button down for a second resulting in a decrease of almost 30-35 mph and having no awareness of what the new speed control is ( in CC mode)is extremely dangerous!

Unknowingly slowing the vehicle down significantly to an unknown speed can result in being rear-ended, causing traffic “accordion” issues for vehicles following me, as well as driver confusion / uncertainty!

I find it hard to believe that any driver is happily making use of a feature that reduces or increases the speed control by quick 5 mph increments, up to a 30-35 mph reduction via a 1 second hold of the “-“ button, regardless of mode.

I am requesting the following changes via software updates be made available to owners:

1) eliminate the 5 mph increments / decrements when holding down the +/- speed control buttons.
2) reinstate the feature from previous generations that depressing the “-“ button and holding it results in a “coasting” function.
3) releasing the” +/-“ button results after being held down results in the cruise control speed setting being set at the speedometer reading at time of button release.
4) when in CC mode, display the cruise control speed control setting as it changes as a function of +/- speed control button being clicked or held by using the same display indicator as used for the speed setting selection when in ACC mode. This will alert the driver as to the amount they are adjusting the new speed setting to, eliminating any unexpected confusion or lack of expected powertrain action once the +/- button is released.

Thanks!
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find tapping the + or - one time per mph and tapping brakes to coast more than adequate.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually noticed this but while I was trying to increase speed. I went from 65 to like 85 and was surprised. But after that one time, I knew better and either tap the +/- buttons or just manually accelerate/decelerate until the desired speed and tap either button to set.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I tried the -/+ during cruising and hardly notice any chance.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
That’s pretty universal for +/- rockers, and my CC speed displays on the screen. If you want to coast, there’s the ‘Cancel’ and ‘Resume’ buttons!

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
All my previous cars would go up or down 1mph per click, not in my type r. One click does nothing. Kinda stupid.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At least in the US you get +/- 1 mph so 4 clicks = 4mph, they never changed it for Canadian models, each click is +/- 1.6 km/h so 4 clicks = 6.2 km/h, not OCD friendly at all :confused1: :D

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At least in the US you get +/- 1 mph so 4 clicks = 4mph, they never changed it for Canadian models, each click is +/- 1.6 km/h so 4 clicks = 6.2 km/h, not OCD friendly at all :confused1: :D
Yours does that!?
My Touring changes by 1km/h with each tap.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
My 19 Touring Coupe goes up or down by 1 mph per click, coasting when you push "off" in the middle of the control, don't see this as a problem. I usually have my following distance at a mid setting. The only issue I've had is when someone suddenly cuts in front of you and slows down, the automatic braking is usually pretty hard. If I sense someone cutting in I generally disengage the cruise, I don't want to get rear-ended. BTY, anyone know if the brake lights come on when the automatic braking activates? Logic tells me it should, but I'd just like to know for sure:dunno:

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
My Touring adjusts in KPH by increments of one as well. I’ve never seen it, but when the auto system applies the brakes, the brake lights DO light up!

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Perhaps you did not receive a Full Delivery when you bought the car at the dealer and/or were not shown all of the features.
Do Not HOLD the +/Res or -/Set button. Just TAP it for single increments.
If Cruise Control is too dangerous for you, simply do not use it.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Most of the time, I can't go less than 2km increments.
Sometime 1Km work .

IMO it is the sensitivity of the switch.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yours does that!?
My Touring changes by 1km/h with each tap.
It's tough to tell for sure, but it does say that's what is expected behavior in the manual. The cruise control is so inaccurate in this car, I'll set it at 80 on a flat part of the road then suddenly I'm doing 87, then it lets off and I'm back to 80 once it coasts down to it. My 8th did better on hills than this does on flat areas, I dunno how Honda suddenly botched a 70 year old feature.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's tough to tell for sure, but it does say that's what is expected behavior in the manual. The cruise control is so inaccurate in this car, I'll set it at 80 on a flat part of the road then suddenly I'm doing 87, then it lets off and I'm back to 80 once it coasts down to it. My 8th did better on hills than this does on flat areas, I dunno how Honda suddenly botched a 70 year old feature.
If I hold the +/RES for anything more than a split second, it’ll pick up 5-10 km/h.
Each click gives me 1km/h.
Gotta fool with it a bit more. Still learning stuff about this car.
My 19 year old Boxster is so totally analog compared to my Civic.
No nannies whatsoever on that car except ABS.
Sponsored