mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I bought the Civic in mid-November and had been looking for one for 2 months. I found the whole buying experience terrible. I was astonished of the little knowledge on the cars they sell.

Honda made great cars but they have to work on their sales force.
Sponsored

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I did complain about engine damage. The service department tried to explain the car had "plenty of oil" and no damage was done even though it wasn't showing on the dipstick when I checked it. They refused to make it right other then refilling the oil, adding a cap, and replacing the felt under the hood. I got a "It's not our fault it came without an oil cap from the factory".
I bet Honda would like to know about what they said. That's a terrible answer. And it is their fault, since they were supposed to do an inspection, and since they're the one selling the product.

Also Honda should want to know, if it really did come without a cap.

Last edited:

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I bought a 2018 SI but I almost got a 2017. I finalized the OTD price of a 2017 SI with a salesman. I went to the dealership to inspect the car and signed the paperwork. He took my information and went to the back. He came back and told me that his manager would not approve the sales amount and asked for $200 more. With the SI All shiny and clean, I reluctantly agreed. He went to the back again and this time he came back with the general manager, they asked for a few hundred more. At the point, I walked out the door.

I almost gave up on the SI and went back to my original first choice, a MB C Coupe.

Actually, I am debating if I should make an official complaint to Honda Canada. I still have the SMS confirming the sales price on my phone.

Last edited:

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I bought the Civic in mid-November and had been looking for one for 2 months. I found the whole buying experience terrible. I was astonished of the little knowledge on the cars they sell.

Honda made great cars but they have to work on their sales force.
Honda does not have a "sales force" as you are describing it; that is not how the dealership system in North America works. Dealers are not owned nor run by Honda. Save for Tesla, you will always have to buy a vehicle from someone who already "bought" it from the manufacturer. It is a very frustrating system that we are currently stuck with. If one dealer is terrible, you find a different dealer or wait until enough of the terrible staff has turned over to make a difference.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
I bet Honda would like to know about what they said. That's a terrible answer. And it is their fault, since they were supposed to so an inspection, and since they're the one selling the product.

Also Honda should want to know, if it really did come without a cap.
I think it came with a cap. I bought the car late at night because I work the normal 9-5 kind of job and the dealer was an hour away. I had to wait for my credit report to unfreeze when I got to the dealer so they could get me in with Honda Financing. I think when they were checking the fluid levels while I did paperwork they forgot to put the cap back on, as no oil was leaking during the test drive to my knowledge.

They just blamed Honda so they wouldn't have to give me anything.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I bought a 2018 SI but I almost got a 2017. I finalized the OTD price of a 2017 SI with a salesman. I went to the dealership to inspect the car and signed the paperwork. He took my information and went to the back. He came back and told me that his manager would not approve the sales amount and asked for $200 more. With the SI All shiny and clean, I reluctantly agreed. He went to the back again and this time he came back with the general manager, they asked for a few hundred more. At the point, I walked out the door.

I almost gave up on the SI and went back to my original first choice, a MB C Coupe.

Actually, I am debating if I should make an official complaint to Honda Canada. I still have the SMS confirming the sales price on my phone.
Years ago a 'big name' dealer did that 'the bank needs $500 more' shit to me at delivery. Like a dumbass I wrote the check. And still a dumbass, when I traded that vehicle, the same dealer tried the same thing again. And everyone in the showroom knew it because I lost my mind. The finance manager was slamming stuff around all over his desk. :yes:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
My salesperson told me this also. He said he wanted 10s'; He did what I requested.
I had an email from the service manager asking me to rate the oil change service that was done, and that if I gave him 10s then my next service would be free.

No way in hell was I going to rate it as perfect, so I told him as much and told about what they had done wrong up to that point. It wasn't as bad for the car as leaving off an oil cap, but it was 1) prepping the car with some overinflated tires (one was over 45 PSI, even when I measured it the morning after taking it home) and 2) waving off my later complaint that the walk-away auto-lock was malfunctioning.

I'll probably go to another dealer for my next service and see how responsive they are. We bought our cars from the first one because our friend is a salesman there, but I've got no loyalty to the service department.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I think it came with a cap. I bought the car late at night because I work the normal 9-5 kind of job and the dealer was an hour away. I had to wait for my credit report to unfreeze when I got to the dealer so they could get me in with Honda Financing. I think when they were checking the fluid levels while I did paperwork they forgot to put the cap back on, as no oil was leaking during the test drive to my knowledge.

They just blamed Honda so they wouldn't have to give me anything.
What's a bit odd is why they had the oil cap off. How often do cars leave the factory low enough on oil that they think they need to add some? It seems like the engine builder would have an automated filler that always puts in the exact amount. Also it seems most people wouldn't bother adding any unless it was more than 1/2 qt low.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I know my dealer didn't prep my car because when I opened the trunk when I received the car (and closed it *very* quickly) there were four sets of the all-weather floor mats and two sets of mud flaps, still in the box. (the car came from another dealer upstate because I wanted an MT).

I sold three of them on Ebay and kept the fourth.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Been dealing with a dealership for 8 years. 2 Fits, 2 9th gen Civics, and now an SI. In every case, the car was not washed, waxed, detailed, filled with gas as advertised, or inspected for imperfections. Each time, I took the cars back to be done right. The only reason I keep going to them is because they are a superstore and can sell for less than the average dealership. So I buy an SI a few days ago, and today after days of no sunlight discover several scratches in the clearcoat. Rather than take it back, I polished them out cursing my stupidity for buying the car at night.

I spoke to several people who recently bought new cars and they say the same thing. Dirty wheels, spots on the dash from poorly sprayed protectant, water spots on the paint, too much armorall on the tires splashing on the lower body panels. It goes on. They complain and the salesperson just shruggs, says sorry, and 1 - 2 hours later your car just had a simple car wash and maybe a cheap spray wax.

Just curious how many have had the same issue and your resolution other than posting a poor review on Yelp, etc.
Actually that's a good thing. Dealers tend to jack stuff up more often than not. Next car I buy I'll tell them not to do anything to it. I also bought from Norm Reeves and they detailed it. Later on when I looked at the rear glass window where the information and pricing is they totally scratched the glass. The glass was totally destroyed and had at least 15 deep scratches in it.

It was evident they used a razor blade and shaved that paper off. You should check your glass in the light.

Anyways I caught it early, brought it back and they replaced it.

Not doing anything is coming out ahead for me.

I'd rather just get the car off the truck from the plant and just give me a keys. I'll take off all the wrap or whatever. Don't do anything including cleaning it.

Dealer: "Ay yo hol up, how you want your new car prepped ?"

You: "Just fuck my shit up fam."

Dealer: "Say no more !"

Last edited:

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Actually, it was Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos. I only went there because of the low prices I would get and I have a sign and drive 0% (with a 592 score) through Honda Financial after 8 years of on time payments . My next purchase will be more cautious and with another dealership.
Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos installs those Karr alarms too.
I really hate having my new car's wiring harness hacked into.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/removing-the-dealer-installed-karr-alarm.43881/

Conor

First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'd rather just get the car off the truck from the plant and just give me a keys. I'll take off all the wrap or whatever. Don't do anything including cleaning it.
That's what I did. I signed all of the paperwork before the car arrived at the dealership. I told the saleswoman that when the car arrived I did not want them to remove any tape/plastic or wash it. She looked at me funny. I told her that I would take it home and wash it and that if there were any scratches on it I would have only myself to blame.

My reasoning for this is that the paint is the best it is ever going to be straight from the factory. When the dealer receives a vehicle they are going to "detail" it, and then the "detail guy" is the lowest common denominator. The "detail guy" who is probably paid minimum wage and may come in on any given day to "Hi Joe, you have 40 vehicles to detail today, get to work." Do you really think this guy cares that much about just how clean his rags/wash bucket are? I bought a brand new wash mitt and rags for my first wash. This was my first brand new car (4 miles on it) and I wanted to baby it myself. I drove it home with tape still on the outside and all the plastic on the inside. It was pretty nice removing all the plastic inside, knowing that I was the first person after the factory to touch so many things!

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealerships not prepping new cars properly after the sale IMG-1280

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealerships not prepping new cars properly after the sale IMG-1285

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
Mine was fully gassed up and detailed. But I picked it up the day after a foot of snow fell. So the "Ooooh! Shiny new car!" feeling lasted until I pulled it out of the lot. :(

I need to find out what air freshener they used, because it smelled great and lasted for a week or so. Not bad, considering it must have been a spray. Smelled like cherries or something.

I tried the California Scents "Coronado Cherry", and it literally smells like vomit. Cherry scented vomit. I figured the first one might have been a fluke, so I got another. Same thing. Had numerous people verify, so I could make sure I wasn't crazy. :dunno:

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
That's what I did. I signed all of the paperwork before the car arrived at the dealership. I told the saleswoman that when the car arrived I did not want them to remove any tape/plastic or wash it. She looked at me funny. I told her that I would take it home and wash it and that if there were any scratches on it I would have only myself to blame.

My reasoning for this is that the paint is the best it is ever going to be straight from the factory. When the dealer receives a vehicle they are going to "detail" it, and then the "detail guy" is the lowest common denominator. The "detail guy" who is probably paid minimum wage and may come in on any given day to "Hi Joe, you have 40 vehicles to detail today, get to work." Do you really think this guy cares that much about just how clean his rags/wash bucket are? I bought a brand new wash mitt and rags for my first wash. This was my first brand new car (4 miles on it) and I wanted to baby it myself. I drove it home with tape still on the outside and all the plastic on the inside. It was pretty nice removing all the plastic inside, knowing that I was the first person after the factory to touch so many things!

IMG-1280.jpg

IMG-1285.jpg
Ha! especially a black car!
Sponsored