Dealership Didn't know Honda's warranty

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
I went to the dealership with 2 rear wheel bearings moaning and asked if this was covered under power train warranty. The dealership said no and wanted $800 to replace them both. The Car is a 2016 civic with 43,xxxx miles, so I was a little shocked they didn't feel this was a defect.

I called Honda USA and they said YES, the wheel bearing are covered under the power train warranty. I also called another local dealer and they also said the wheel bearings were not covered by PT warranty.

Honda USA called the dealership and told to to replace them under warranty and I also got a call from the service manager apologizing. I wonder how many customers they have charged for this. Also both rear wheel bearings this soon sounds like a part defect to me.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are a lot of things attached to the motor and trans that actually aren't covered so I'm not surprised they thought it wasn't. Kinda stupid though that they wouldn't check their warranty coverage books to see.

The best one I've seen so far though was a guy who was complaining that his 2016 sedan had a wheel bearing go out after 70k+ miles in one year and thinking that Honda should have warrantied it. Not just far past warranty but also probably considered abuse since he probably barely stopped the car once in that year to get 70k miles on it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I went to the dealership with 2 rear wheel bearings moaning
The dealer was correct. You got lucky lol.

Rear wheel bearings are not attached to the main drive axles/transmission and not eligible for powertrain warranty. Front axles & bearings are.

Honda erred in your favor.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup, didn't see the rear part. You got a free repair you should have paid for.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Well whaddya know, looks like you got a free repair? Check why those bearing came out bad so early. Could be mechanical troubles later on down the road if things are breaking this early.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I dug a little deeper and poked a buddy of mine at Torrance. On the Civic, it appears to be the front bearings only. Though I can understand the confusion the way it's written.

From Honda's warranty book:

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealership Didn't know Honda's warranty 20180304_205015

JDMTech

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Vehicle Showcase
I am a Tech at Honda. Front and rear wheel bearings or (hubs) as they are referenced as in the warranty manual that comes with every new Honda in North America are covered by powertrain warranty. Thats why Honda made the dealership replace them under warranty. It doesn't matter if its front/rear/all wheel drive. It was the same with Mitsubishi.

Edd

First Name
Edd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
You have to keep up on this stuff with dealers when you make a warranty claim---particularly on emissions defects/failures (especially in CA)

It's not just Honda...and in fairness there's stuff being added all the time, so the service folks have to keep up.
I've had 2 minor emissions codes on my wife's Toyota that required minor parts replacements. Both times the writer said that I'd be charged a diagnostic, parts, etc, because the car is 4.5 years and 49k.

Most recently the gas cap seal failed so they tried to charge me for the new 45.00 gas cap and "waive" the diagnostic fee.

Flipped open the Fed and CA emissions warranty coverage and showed it to him.
Gave me a no charge receipt. No biggie...

SqweeXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX Manual, 2010 Honda Fit Manual, 2000 Mazda Protege
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for this post!!! I was ready to drop money to have this fixed, but now I called the dealership instead and set up an appointment to have them take care of it!

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
This is good to know. I am at 3 years, 43,xxx miles and it seems my front or rear bearings are gone.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Also both rear wheel bearings this soon sounds like a part defect to me.
Heat, pressure, or impact kills wheel bearings. Bearings themselves don't usually just fail. Carrying a load, going fast, camber at an angle, impact such as a pothole, all can cause one ball to flatten or the oil to burn off and dry out and wear a bearing.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dug a little deeper and poked a buddy of mine at Torrance. On the Civic, it appears to be the front bearings only. Though I can understand the confusion the way it's written.

From Honda's warranty book:

20180304_205015.png
rear wheel bearings are covered under powertrain if the vehicle has awd/rwd. rear wheels without differential make no power, so it wouldnt be covered under powertrain.

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
rear wheel bearings are covered under powertrain if the vehicle has awd/rwd. rear wheels without differential make no power, so it wouldnt be covered under powertrain.
There is a known defect with the Honda wheel bearings. Our dealership replaced 1 front and 1 rear under warranty for my wifes 10th gen civic.
Sponsored