rockymtntypeR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
So here is the back story, I’ve been hunting for a PMM Type R for about 2 weeks and live in Colorado so I’m almost positive I’m gonna have to buy out of state, as the wait lists in Colorado are stupid at this point.
I’m looking to buy the car at or very close to MSRP and then have it shipped or fly out and drive it home. So I find a dealer in RI(I’ll leave them nameless for now) that has a Type R in PMM I and is asking MSRP plus 1500 in accessories. I decide fine I’ll pay for the extras and get the car I want to buy. First spoke with them Friday starting the sales process and sales manger says I’ll get back with you... Okay?!?!?! I’ve have 4K down and I’m willing to finance with dealer which I’ve told them.
Sales manager calls me today and says “we are not willing to sell to you cause your out of state”. What the fuck? I find the car I want at a good price and they won’t sell the damn thing to me, this Type R buying process is realy starting to piss me off.
What gives?!?!? If anyone can help me out buying this car in PMM please please let me know, I thought waiting a year would help but I guess not?
Sponsored

Last edited:

R-1222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic Type R, 2002 S2000
Country flag
So here is the back story, I’ve been hunting for a PMM Type R for about 2 weeks and live in Colorado so I’m almost positive I’m gonna have to buy out of state, as the wait lists in Colorado are stupid at this point.
I’m looking to buy the car at or very close to MSRP and then have it shipped or fly out and drive it home. So I find a dealer in RI(I’ll leave them nameless for now) that has a Type R in PMM I and is asking MSRP plus 1500 in accessories. I decide fine I’ll pay for the extras and get the car I want to buy. First spoke with them Friday starting the sales process and sales manger says I’ll get back with you... Okay?!?!?! I’ve have 4K down and I’m willing to finance with dealer which I’ve told them.
Sales manager calls me today and says “we are not willing to sell to you cause your out of state”. What the fuck? I find the car I want at a good price and they won’t sell the damn thing to me, this Type R buying process is realy starting to piss me off.
What gives?!?!? If anyone can help me out buying this car in PMM please please let me know, I thought waiting a year would help but I guess not?
What dealer is that, I had the same thing happen to me at Team Honda in Louisiana.

OP
OP
rockymtntypeR

rockymtntypeR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
What dealer is that, I had the same thing happen to me at Team Honda in Louisiana.
Fuck it they wouldn’t sell me the car so I’ll put them on blast it was Balise Honda of West Warwick, the sales manager Mike was actually very nice to work with just didn’t deliver the news I wanted to hear

lturner

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ctr, couple of itr’s
Country flag
Being in western Nebraska I feel ya. Currently looking to a RR and having zero luck within 500 miles. Best of luck.

mpt2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I tried the same thing in Canada, dealers in Quebec wouldn’t ship it out west. Luckily for me someone jumped off the waitlist at a local dealership and mine is supposed to come in the next week or 2

Dark-R

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
if you want it so bad, just pay for the mark ups. I paid 5k accessories, what can you do.

If dealers aren’t marking it up, people will. They will buy them at msrp then resale them on eBay for a profit.

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
sorry to hear. same thing happened to me. a dealer in the southwest (as a fellow s2ki member told me he purchased for MSRP).
they wouldn't sell to me since i wasn't local and haven't purchased a vehicle from them prior. :doh:

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Move on, its not worth it. Dealers can be picky like that.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Why though? What does it matter where you're from?
In an ideal world it shouldn't but here we are. Dealers are not obligated to sell to anyone. You'll find that out calling dealers all over.

One motivation is a customer that will not return for future service visits, etc. Lost opportunity to sell to someone locally willing to buy over MSRP.

I had a lead on Maroone Honda in Colorado, MSRP plus some $650 handling fee but hadn't been picked up yet by the guy in the list. During that process i found out that that was more than likely the last one they'd sell at MSRP. GMs are seeing the $ california is getting so they want in on the pie while they can. Helps having zero news about a 2019 model year. Judging from the fact that OP is looking outside Colorado, they came through with that idea.

Last edited:

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
Why though? What does it matter where you're from?
So my experience was actually somewhat in my favor that the dealer didn't want to sell my CTR out of state... They called me when the car arrived in town and said I could have it, otherwise they were planning to sell out of state for several thousand more. I'm in a smaller town so they told me they wanted to keep the car around to drum up interest in Hondas for their dealership. So they would have sold it out of state, but for more money.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag

Yeah, these dudes are kind of local to me (~25 minutes). I don’t know their reputation personally, though I have seen some bad reviews (of course, every dealer has tons of bad reviews to be fair). But I do know from obtaining quotes before that their pricing is usually terrible, one of the worst in this area.

Like others have said, no dealer has any obligation to sell the car to you, particularly at a lower price than they could get elsewhere. Now, I don’t know if they have any other deal/inquiry on the table already, but they certainly know they can milk a CTR. In this market in the Northeast, they can certainly get an ADM if they want; probably not full $5K, but definitely $2K at least. Add some “preinstalled” accessories at a laughable price to that.

In addition to the lost service/maintenance revenue, by selling local, they can foster future/repeat business from the buyer, as well as from friends and family. Also, it’s kind of a high visibility car where a guy next to you at the stop light or a parking lot might ask you, “Where did you get it?” — free advertisement for them.

In any case, money talks — you should ask them what it would take to sell the car to you. You just say, “C’mon, a businessman to another businessman, how can we make this happen?” That would smoke out if they are just not willing to sell to an out-of-stater (period) or just not at that price. Then you can make an informed decision as to whether you want to pay what they are asking (less what you negotiate down), whatever that might be. Or that they are not BSing about not selling out of state.

Just be sure to include in your budget the cost of shipping the car (or airfare, airport transport, lodging, gas, tolls, miles, tire treadwear (these tires last only 10,000 miles at best), the value of your vacation time, so on). From 2,000 miles away, I highly advise you to ship the car unless you have another purpose for the cross country trip (e.g., visiting people, sight seeing, etc.).

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
That’s the same dealer that wouldn’t let me ship the car back home.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
They can suck a XXX because you are out of state . I can't tell you how many cars I bought out of state to dodge tax and export them .

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
They can suck a XXX because you are out of state . I can't tell you how many cars I bought out of state to dodge tax and export them .
I am interested -- how do you dodge sales tax by going out of state? In order to register your car in your home state, don't you have to pay their sales tax? That's been my experience in NY and MA, maybe it's different in CA.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.