Dealer took a flathead screwdriver to my wheels when removing balancing weights and destroyed them.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Out of curiosity, how would you remove those stick on weight without damaging the wheel?
A plastic non marring tool of some sort would probably be a good place to start. Basically the same reason we don't use screwdrivers to pry out interior pieces.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Out of curiosity, how would you remove those stick on weight without damaging the wheel?
Reading back over your posts, it would seem that it was the AUDI dealership that did the damage to your wheels. Honda Dealer did not have the equipment to change the tires, or to balance them. (Amazing)
The Honda dealer just took your money.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
$125 PER TIRE? JUST TO INSTALL?!? That is so far outside the realm of what's reasonable... my brain can't even process it.

Even if an hour of labor is $125, it still doesn't make sense. It shouldn't take more than 30 mins to install both tires. Hell, 15 mins.
$60 to install both even seems a bit high... but $250?? Damn, that's just insane. I can't even.

Get straight with them, never go back, and spread the word. Holy hell.

Sorry, I just can't believe it. 350$ per tire + 125$ per tire to install + $250 for an alignment = $1,200$$!
You paid $1,200 basically for 2 new tires?! WTF?

I know I'm just rubbing salt on the wound, and I'm sorry about that, but damn dude you got fucking RAPED.

Last edited:

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
although in the same thread, this question is entirely different subject. 1st, this dealer seemed to have series of issues w/ their service according to the OP, which i think are worse than scratching the wheels. Now, for your question. I do agree that these types of stuff is annoying AF if you baby your car. I was one of them, but i'm past that stage now. Meaning, i don't get too sensitive because it is what it is. Wheels will be scratched, either by you or by the installer. There are multiple stages during tire/wheel that could easily scratch your wheels. Also, how OCD will you be? a small scratch ok? fingernail scratch? slight paint scratch, or scratches you see in certain angles under bright light? If you foresee this as a problem, then start having severe OCD and finding the best installer you know and pay.
The glue on the weights are obviously made to last. You could use a plastic pryer of some sort, some heat, or some goo gone or 3m adhesive remover all helps to remove the weight/adhesive. And be extremely careful. Honestly, if you don't specifically pay or search for someone to spend the time to remove these small weights nicely, no one will. Not everyone is a detailer. Shops get paid by how many cars they finish a day. They're not going to spend more than a few min or seconds removing couple pieces of wheel weights per wheel.

OP
OP
Jaydubs

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
$125 PER TIRE? JUST TO INSTALL?!? That is so far outside the realm of what's reasonable... my brain can't even process it.

Even if an hour of labor is $125, it still doesn't make sense. It shouldn't take more than 30 mins to install both tires. Hell, 15 mins.
$60 to install both even seems a bit high... but $250?? Damn, that's just insane. I can't even.

Get straight with them, never go back, and spread the word. Holy hell.

Sorry, I just can't believe it. 350$ per tire + 125$ per tire to install + $250 for an alignment = $1,200$$!
You paid $1,200 basically for 2 new tires?! WTF?

I know I'm just rubbing salt on the wound, and I'm sorry about that, but damn dude you got fucking RAPED.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer took a flathead screwdriver to my wheels when removing balancing weights and destroyed them. TBtf1BM

Correction, $100 labor $345 parts per tire. It came out to a total of $1293 after taxes to get my two front tires replaced and all four wheels aligned. They went and added some bullshit $60 'service charge' too. I got absolutely raped, yeah, but I've been dealing with a lot of shit and just didn't have the time or energy to even bother trying to find a better deal. I had to worry about getting my pregnant girlfriend safely from point A to point B.

Found the alignment report:
Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer took a flathead screwdriver to my wheels when removing balancing weights and destroyed them. iu2Xdnf

Last edited:

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
TBtf1BM.jpg

Correction, $100 labor $345 parts per tire. It came out to a total of $1293 after taxes to get my two front tires replaced and all four wheels aligned. They went and added some bullshit $60 'service charge' too. I got absolutely raped, yeah, but I've been dealing with a lot of shit and just didn't have the time or energy to even bother trying to find a better deal. I had to worry about getting my pregnant girlfriend safely from point A to point B.

iu2Xdnf.jpg
Jeez man, this is horrible to read.

OP
OP
Jaydubs

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
I sent an email to Honda a few days ago. I haven't had the time to go into the dealership yet, I've been very busy with work and doctors appointments and such. I signed the papers and agreed to pay the bill, so that's on me for overpaying out of my ass - but to have my wheels damaged at the end of it all is beyond reprehensible and I'm going to do my best to get some sort of repayment for that.

OP
OP
Jaydubs

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
although in the same thread, this question is entirely different subject. 1st, this dealer seemed to have series of issues w/ their service according to the OP, which i think are worse than scratching the wheels. Now, for your question. I do agree that these types of stuff is annoying AF if you baby your car. I was one of them, but i'm past that stage now. Meaning, i don't get too sensitive because it is what it is. Wheels will be scratched, either by you or by the installer. There are multiple stages during tire/wheel that could easily scratch your wheels. Also, how OCD will you be? a small scratch ok? fingernail scratch? slight paint scratch, or scratches you see in certain angles under bright light? If you foresee this as a problem, then start having severe OCD and finding the best installer you know and pay.
The glue on the weights are obviously made to last. You could use a plastic pryer of some sort, some heat, or some goo gone or 3m adhesive remover all helps to remove the weight/adhesive. And be extremely careful. Honestly, if you don't specifically pay or search for someone to spend the time to remove these small weights nicely, no one will. Not everyone is a detailer. Shops get paid by how many cars they finish a day. They're not going to spend more than a few min or seconds removing couple pieces of wheel weights per wheel.
I agree, but this is literally the best of the best Honda offers. We have custom wheels for the Type R that are extremely expensive that I had to pay for. If I bring these wheels to the person who made them and paid to get them (technically not in this case being that dealers are independently owned but still), I should be able to get them back in the same or better condition after work has been done. I shouldn't have my $1250 wheel suddenly lose every little bit of value because I had to get a routine maintenance done. I didn't bring my car to some Discount Tire Rack. I brought the best of Honda to be fixed by Honda and paid more than I would elsewhere expecting it to be done properly, especially when they reassure me that their 'master tech' is doing all the work.

Not only that, but I get my Type R professionally detailed with very expensive ceramic coating, which also goes on the wheel barrels itself. That got destroyed. It would've had to be reapplied anyways where the weights were removed, but bare lacquer with no coating is better than bare metal with no coating and it would've been much less work.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
TBtf1BM.jpg

iu2Xdnf.jpg
Your caster is out of spec and non-adjustable. They mention that to you?

As an aside, I had Discount Tire install my new wheels/tires and they did a stellar job. Really went out of their way to show they can do a professional job.

OP
OP
Jaydubs

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
Your caster is out of spec and non-adjustable. They mention that to you?

As an aside, I had Discount Tire install my new wheels/tires and they did a stellar job. Really went out of their way to show they can do a professional job.
No, they said the reason it was so expensive was because they had to adjust all three. Guess they lied about that too.

No diss at the chain tire shops, my point was moreso that I'm bringing it to the people who made this particular wheel and thus should know exactly what to do (i.e. DO NOT USE A FLATHEAD ON IT TO REMOVE THE BALANCING WEIGHTS)

Last edited:

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
TBtf1BM.jpg

iu2Xdnf.jpg
Im real sorry to hear all that brother. Good luck to you. That dealership is disgraceful and should be ashamed.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
To the OEM poster.
Go to a reputable tire/alignment shop and ask them to give you a WRITTEN estimate on ALL that work.

Take the estimate to the Service Manager of the dealership and tell him you feel ripped off and ask for a partial refund.
If he says No, go to the GM of the dealership.

I did this for my brother years ago, who knows NOTHING about cars when the dealer he bought his new Hyundai Elantra from ripped him off by SELLING him 2 new rear tires on his car when it only had 10,000 miles on it, they said the tires were worn and they wern't.
They charged him $400 for 2 tires!!
I talked to the Service Manager and told him I'm going to the GM next if he can't help me with a refund, and then the local news papers to let them know how dealers sometimes rip off people...........I got a full refund!

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
You got had no offense it’s a shame bro... But all dealers are honest like some people say on here until this happens. There all mostly bad today get it in an get it out as fast as possible if u think most techs care that the car is a type r your wrong very wrong there worried about there paycheck every 2 weeks not spending 2 hrs on changing 2 tires. They want it done in 1/4-1/8th of that time. Sry the messed your rims up like that an overcharged... like a lot of guys said go into the dealership don’t wait I know u said your busy but try an make time when they damage something get it looked at ASAP

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
A plastic non marring tool of some sort would probably be a good place to start. Basically the same reason we don't use screwdrivers to pry out interior pieces.
LOL the same way they remove them at the Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes on the 100+K cars, however that is!
Same thing happened to me with my Z-wasn't warranty. Tire places just don't care.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I would suspect a Heat Gun and a Plastic Pry tool - but off course, a Metal Screwdriver and Brute Force is probably QUICKER !!!
Sponsored