Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey guys, I've been driving my 1.5L Touring and while doing an oil change I noticed oil residue under the transmission oil pan.

Took it to the dealer and they agreed to fix it under warranty...they said it's just the oil pan gasket. After the fix, I was reviewing the paperwork and it says that they did a compete oil flush in the process and they bought 6 bottles of transmission oil to replace.

I remember reading that the tranny only takes 3.9 quarts not 6! How do I know for sure that they didn't over fill my cvt?

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer did a cvt oil flush 20191115_235410
Sponsored

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
a typical DRAIN where you just remove the drain plug is 3.9 if you drop the pan you end up getting a little more out, plus if you had a leak other parts of the system may have lower fluid levels then they should have, remember draining the pan doesn't drain the entire transmission, it just drains whats in the pan above the drain port, that only like a 3rd of the overall capacity of the transmission.

OP
OP
Maxara Faxa

Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
a typical DRAIN where you just remove the drain plug is 3.9 if you drop the pan you end up getting a little more out, plus if you had a leak other parts of the system may have lower fluid levels then they should have, remember draining the pan doesn't drain the entire transmission, it just drains whats in the pan above the drain port, that only like a 3rd of the overall capacity of the transmission.
So then how do I check if they overfilled it? Because they literally overfill everything (previously; brake fluid, engine oil)

I also noticed that there is a cvt delay when going from Reverse to Drive... or from anything to Drive. It usually takes around 2 seconds to kick into drive... but now it's a whole 5 seconds!! (Yup, I counted it) ... is this just the cvt getting used to the new oil? Or is there too much oil in there??

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
So then how do I check if they overfilled it? Because they literally overfill everything (previously; brake fluid, engine oil)

I also noticed that there is a cvt delay when going from Reverse to Drive... or from anything to Drive. It usually takes around 2 seconds to kick into drive... but now it's a whole 5 seconds!! (Yup, I counted it) ... is this just the cvt getting used to the new oil? Or is there too much oil in there??
If they did a complete flush, then 6 quarts would be about right, as Daniel644 said above.

If you are paranoid about it, put your car up on jack stands on a flat surface. Find the check fill bolt on the side of the CVT and take it off. If it is overfilled, it will drain out of that bolt until it is at the correct level. If nothing comes out, stick a Qtip into the check bolt hole and make sure the oil level is right there at the check bolt level.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I’ve had this done at twenty thousand it was 6 quarts also and have no problems. How many miles was on the car when you had it flushed?

OP
OP
Maxara Faxa

Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I’ve had this done at twenty thousand it was 6 quarts also and have no problems. How many miles was on the car when you had it flushed?
About 44k miles. I had no idea I had to even change the transmission oil before I had the oil pan leak. Lol

Update: so the delay in shift response went away after pushing the car hard on the highway... I guess the oil just needs to heat up?

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
About 44k miles. I had no idea I had to even change the transmission oil before I had the oil pan leak. Lol

Update: so the delay in shift response went away after pushing the car hard on the highway... I guess the oil just needs to heat up?
I’ve noticed your location is NY city. myself personally when I lived on Long Island on previous cars I changed the transmission fluid frequency because of a lot of stop and go traffic but this was a peace of mind thing

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag

see this guide on how to change the fluid yourself https://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-change-transmission-oil-on-1-5t-cvt.31029/ one of the steps describes how to check the fluid level and even provides a picture. Be sure when you raise the car to remove the check bolt that the car is sitting flat and level, if the front end is raised it could mask an overfill condition.
Sponsored