Dead dashboard with blinking red dot

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Just drove my car about 10 miles. Did what I needed to do, got back in my car and started it up...started up fine. Wasn't paying too much attention but a red blinking dot on my dash caught my attention. I thought i forgot to unlock the car (idk why i thought that) so anyhow, i turned off the car, turned on the alarm, turned it off, and started the car again. car started back up but the red dot was still blinking. then i noticed my dashboard was completely dead! my radio worked, DRL, signal and brake lights worked but i couldn't tell if they actually did because my dash was dead. Drove to the auto parts store to maybe see if it was a fuse...the guy walked out with me and i started the car again and the dashlight came back on. was totally weird. never had this happen before and the guy didn't know what was wrong with it. i showed him the video i took but he still didn't know.

Has anyone ever had this issue and know what it is? This was the first time it's happened to me. I have a 2016 Civic LX sedan. 77k miles (yeah, i know i drive alot.)

View attachment 186949

Honda Civic 10th gen Dead dashboard with blinking red dot CF105680-EFD8-4199-B500-7F2FED814F01
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
For the LX models without the fob; that light blinks whenever you unlock the car with the key mechanically via the door handle. It's waiting for the key (with the chip) to 'shake hands' with the immobilizer before it will allow access to the trunk (and maybe some other stuff).

I realize that isn't your issue. But I'm trying to spark a troubleshooting idea or shine light on the situation.

When I've done this in the past on my LX; I don't recall the dash not working.

Of course we must ask the $64,000 question: Any mods?

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Thanks for your reply. I always use the buttons on my key to lock and unlock the car. My car started up fine and drove fine, the dash was just dead and I had to guess how fast I was going...that wasn’t fun. Lol. Hopefully I won’t have this issue again