First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got in to my Si mid week to drive to work, and it wouldn't start. During the attempt, it flashed a brake warning... but I didn't get a good look at it. Drove the Jeep to work instead.

Finally got to look at it the other day, and nothing happened when I hit the start button. Checked the battery and it was down to 8+- Volts. It drove fine the day before, and I've been driving it pretty much daily for the last month or so.

A quick search on the forum, and I see I'm not the only one with battery issues on the stock battery. Is it worth going by Honda to see what they can do with it, or should I just drop by the local auto parts store and get a branded battery?
Sponsored

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your battery is probably a lost cause. Sounds similar to what I experienced a couple of weeks ago. I had moved the car in the driveway, and then left it for a few days before needing to grab something out of the trunk.

The doors would not unlock using the remote, and the battery didn't have enough juice to even pop the trunk. I used the physical key to open the car up, popped the hood and then used my multimeter to check the battery. It was at 7.6 volts, and my battery charger would not even attempt to charge the battery.

I opted just to grab a new battery at the local parts store and be done with it. I've had the car almost three years now.

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Recently, I was stopping my Si in a parking slot. It was a very slow uphill approach and I don't recall if touching the brake stalled the engine or if I shut it off with the idiot button. Got out of the car without bells going off. I've been driving many years so stalling out when stopping isn't in my vocabulary, even with the Si.

Returning 3 hours later, a dead battery and a jump start got things going.

My question is if you shut/stall the engine with the car stopped in place and don't touch the tdiiot button, what electric stuff remains active. Is that enough to drain a battery in 3 hours?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Recently, I was stopping my Si in a parking slot. It was a very slow uphill approach and I don't recall if touching the brake stalled the engine or if I shut it off with the idiot button. Got out of the car without bells going off. I've been driving many years so stalling out when stopping isn't in my vocabulary, even with the Si.

Returning 3 hours later, a dead battery and a jump start got things going.

My question is if you shut/stall the engine with the car stopped in place and don't touch the tdiiot button, what electric stuff remains active. Is that enough to drain a battery in 3 hours?
If you stalled the car the ignition would still be on. You would need to hit the start button to shut off the ignition

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
In my experience, honda batteries last about 2 years on average. Be it 9th or 10th gen hondas, crvs or civic, its all the same. I always upgrade once they die. You can damn near plan for their failing.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Battery is covered by 3yr/36K. Honda reportedly got a bad batch from the supplier on the earlier Civics, including the Si.

If it's covered, dealer will replace free of charge. Otherwise it's roughly 80-90 to replace on your own from a reputable supplier.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
In my experience, honda batteries last about 2 years on average. Be it 9th or 10th gen hondas, crvs or civic, its all the same. I always upgrade once they die. You can damn near plan for their failing.
I had the OEM battery in my '07 Fit for 7 years. I replaced it one day just to be safe but it was fine.

OP
OP
rushwal

rushwal

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the OEM battery in my '07 Fit for 7 years. I replaced it one day just to be safe but it was fine.
07 was before the 9th and 10th gen Civics.

I'm about to head down to the dealership to see what they'll do. Unfortunately, I've got just over 37,000 miles on my Si.... :(

B3B31011

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Depends on your service advisor, they will replace it for free if its under 36k miles, atleast ive had bad luck with Honda warranty, my headlights got dull and yellow in less than 2 years, front shocks went out and the technician said they were bent and not covered if bent. And I've never hit big pot holes or accidents to have bent struts

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
07 was before the 9th and 10th gen Civics.

I'm about to head down to the dealership to see what they'll do. Unfortunately, I've got just over 37,000 miles on my Si.... :(
Honda will likely meet you half way, or around $85. IMHO, not worth the hassle to wait for approval outside of warranty. Not when it can be done independently for around the same price.

OP
OP
rushwal

rushwal

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They said they could do nothing.

So I went to Advance Auto.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
My 2017 Si has started having to crank a little longer when it is cold and been sitting for a day or two.
Hopefully it doesn’t start sometime soon so I can get a free new battery from Honda. I’m at 33k miles.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
the battery was replaced in my 2017 hatch at maybe a year and a half. the dealer just replaced it cause they said it was on the way out, that was during a service. nothing seemed strange with the operation of the car at time.
being such a small battery i don't use the electronics in the car unless it running, - the stereo, for me, lots of dead battery stories wile flashing k tuner.

DieNasti

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
My 2017 Si has started having to crank a little longer when it is cold and been sitting for a day or two.
Hopefully it doesn’t start sometime soon so I can get a free new battery from Honda. I’m at 33k miles.
I would go in now, especially if you're already noticing those small issues.
Edit: personally I would just buy a better battery myself and not have have to deal with the battery issue for another 4/5 years.

the battery was replaced in my 2017 hatch at maybe a year and a half. the dealer just replaced it cause they said it was on the way out, that was during a service. nothing seemed strange with the operation of the car at time.
being such a small battery i don't use the electronics in the car unless it running, - the stereo, for me, lots of dead battery stories wile flashing k tuner.
I think I had the same thing happen on my Accord about 8 months ago. Went in for normal oil change and received a new battery out of no where. Only weird thing that happened before that was when I went to get my car washed. When I went to pick it up the car wouldn't start and the cluster was all lit up. They jump started it but I was pissed thinking they did something sketchy. Week later the dealer replaced the battery so I kind of figured the car wash situation was connected to the battery problem, although I never noticed anything before that. I've heard Honda batteries are sucky from factory though.

icemansi

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2009 Fit Sport
Country flag
The factory battery in my 2010 SI lasted 9 years... they don’t make them like the used too :headbang:
Sponsored