shipdawg

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2004 WRX STi, & 2019 Honda HRV EX
Country flag
Hey guys, I want to get a dashboard cam for filming some 4k 60fps canyon drives and take hiking with me. I was looking at GoPro's but they are really expensive. I found the yi technology 4k action camera as an alternative. Does anyone have any experience with this camera? It's a lot cheaper the GoPro which could be a good or bad thing. If you have another brand you recommend I'd love to know that too.
Sponsored

Temesvar

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Si
Country flag
Hey guys, I want to get a dashboard cam for filming some 4k 60fps canyon drives and take hiking with me. I was looking at GoPro's but they are really expensive. I found the yi technology 4k action camera as an alternative. Does anyone have any experience with this camera? It's a lot cheaper the GoPro which could be a good or bad thing. If you have another brand you recommend I'd love to know that too.
For what i understand, you are not looking for a dash cam, but a action camera you can take with you hiking. Dash cams are powered and activated by your car, where the action cameras are self powered and you have to turn them on and off. Most time, a better quality memory video, as oppose to the dash cam wide angle image that is for legal purposes mostly.
For action, my friend has a GoPro, i have a Sony and we both agree that Sony is slightly better, and cheaper! For dashcam, have to make up my mind, since are so many out there, and am not sure how reliable are they in time. It sucks to find out that just when you need it, it didn't work anymore...

Temesvar

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Si
Country flag
I would prefer a dashcam that has its own screen, so i can see what is recording, and if i have to move it, without looking for the cell
and wait until it connects! Not easy to pick one, as is hard to know which is reliable in time, and at time of need!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I would prefer a dashcam that has its own screen, so i can see what is recording, and if i have to move it, without looking for the cell
and wait until it connects! Not easy to pick one, as is hard to know which is reliable in time, and at time of need!
If you want a Dashcam, almost any Dashcam will do .. (and some are pretty useless)

If you want a Dashcam, and you intend to use it, and will ever even look at it''s video, then you might want to look for something that gives video that is of a reasonable quality and is not Jerky etc.

Like most things, you basically get what you pay for.

I got a cheap USB one that connects to the Aftermarket Head Unit, and it is really SHIT !!
(No better way to describe it .. video is not that clear, and it is very jerky, and a pain to use through the head unit).

It's a PITA, and therefore I do not use it .. so I may as well not have it :dunno:

If/When I upgrade, I will get a stand alone unit, ideally with its own display, and one that can be controlled directly at the camera, but has remote control capabilities, say from a phone app.
What I now want is something that just works and runs, without needing to be messed with, setup, started, etc, and that just records any time the engine is running, and maybe, even when parked.
Then, at any time, I should be able to go and get any Video footage I am interested in keeping etc, and move it to another more permanent device.

My 1st Dashcam was like $25, but I expect to pay x10 to x20 times that for a worthwhile upgrade.

But it really depends on what you want a Dashcam for ..
ie
(1) Documenting that Idiot that cause your car to get damaged, to help with insurance or legal claims.
(2) Document your travels
(3) Record others doing stupid thing, so you can post them on Youtube!!
(4) Record yourself doing stupid things like arguing with the Police when they stop you, so you can make a fool of yourself on Youtube
(5) Whatever ...

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I have the Mobius and chose it because it's so small. I have it mounted with a Velcro strip on the underside of the passenger side sun visor. It's almost impossible to see from outside the car. Reviews speak for themselves. But it's really excellent at night re: high contrast situations.
Sponsored