Dash Flaking. Anybody seen this? Pic

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Another thing, what was the armor all applied with?

If you use paper towels its more likely to damage vinyl surfaces. Microfiber should be used.

*EDIT* whoops I see you used microfiber

Honestly you probably just got a bad dashboard...I bet cleaning it just accelerated the delamination or whatever...

Also, the armor-all that everyone complains about was silicone-based iirc...this newer stuff is water-based. So take that as you will..
Also maybe at the dealer. maybe they used something before delivery that they shouldn't have.
Sponsored

miana79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
This should NOT happen especially so soon. I would honestly bring it back to the dealership and raise hell.

Kasai808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Since you used armor all that was water based, I am betting on a defective dash. I have a similar problem with one of the leather seats in my 16 Audi Q3. It has less than 5k on it and I have been driving it for 1.2 years. The passenger seat bottom leather coating has began to deteriorate and flake off, but the driver seat is in perfect condition. Only used CG leather cleaner and serum once on it. Audi agreed it is defective and is replacing with a new seat.
So, it is entirely possible and probable that your dash is defective.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash Flaking. Anybody seen this? Pic IMG_0815.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash Flaking. Anybody seen this? Pic IMG_0816.JPG

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
armor all was not the cause, it is a simple dashboard defect. return to Honda and warranty that mofo.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Yeah, it wasn't the Armour All it's a defective dash. Honda is starting to turn into all the other car manufacturers.

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
303 is a great interior product! Good UV protection and is very ph balanced. Personally, I like zero shine and matte black dash look, so I use Einzsett Cockpit Premium (or 1Z). Just as good if not better than 303, leaves absolutely zero sheen, dry to the touch immediately, and smells awesome. I have no fear of using it on any part of the interior except the leather surfaces. Only downside is on the 1Z over the 303, it doesn't have the UV protection that 303 does.
Cockpit Premium is more of an interior quick detailer than it is a protectant FYI. It has some slight UV protection characteristics apparently (someone on /r/autodetailing asked the company), but I still put 303 on after using it.

Kasai808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Cockpit Premium is more of an interior quick detailer than it is a protectant FYI. It has some slight UV protection characteristics apparently (someone on /r/autodetailing asked the company), but I still put 303 on after using it.
Correct, hence my comment that 303 is better than 1Z for UV protection;)

jsx

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic coupe lx
My dash seems to be flaking off in places. Let me just jump the gun before this turns into a "Which Sunshade is Best for Me" thread and say my Civic has sat in the garage 95% of its life. I finished up school last semester and don't have a job, so it's probably exposed to the sun less than an hour or two each day.

I used matte Armor All for a few weeks, but once I'd noticed the flaking, used a light duster instead. It seems to have gotten worse since then. I've only owned the car since around October. I'm pretty meticulous about my car, so what you're seeing definitely isn't dust or dirt.

I don't really see there being any benefit from posting this thread other than seeing if other people have had the issue, and if the dealer was willing to do anything about it.

**It started next to the plastic piece by the steering wheel (left side of pic where you see a visible line along it). It has seemed to spread out since.

IMG_0197.jpg
I have the exact same problem.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
I took it back to the dealership and and they offered to replace the dash as some sort of "goodwill" program. I did mention that I used Armor All.

I guess you could look at this either of two ways: 1) Honda has outstanding service and was willing to go the extra mile and replace the dash, even though some user error was recorded. 2) Honda's modern cars aren't designed to handle the most popular interior protectants on planet earth. Either way, I'm glad they were willing to do something about it. Now I've just got to wait for the part to come in.

I don't mean to sound too hard-headed, but something in me still finds it hard to believe Armor All was the sole problem, based on how I saw the damage spread from one small line over the past few months. The areas that flaked seemed to stay in consistent places on the dash and I would think that if Armor All caused the problem, the flaking would be spread out across the dash a little more. I guess anything's possible and won't be putting any protectant on in the future just to be safe.​

Just for the record... This is the product that I used on my 2016 Civic:

Armor_All_Natural_Finish.jpg

(Pic - Armor All: Natural Finish Detailer Protectant)
Mine just started in one spot in the middle of the dash above the radio. Anyone think leather conditioner will make it go away?

SteakNCheese

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX
Country flag
Yeah, it wasn't the Armour All it's a defective dash. Honda is starting to turn into all the other car manufacturers.
We had a o3 Alero dash that peeled up from all edges, seat mech broke, intake manifold gasket, I wouldn't ever buy another Oldsmobile - wait they went out of business....

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My dash seems to be flaking off in places. Let me just jump the gun before this turns into a "Which Sunshade is Best for Me" thread and say my Civic has sat in the garage 95% of its life. I finished up school last semester and don't have a job, so it's probably exposed to the sun less than an hour or two each day.

I used matte Armor All for a few weeks, but once I'd noticed the flaking, used a light duster instead. It seems to have gotten worse since then. I've only owned the car since around October. I'm pretty meticulous about my car, so what you're seeing definitely isn't dust or dirt.

I don't really see there being any benefit from posting this thread other than seeing if other people have had the issue, and if the dealer was willing to do anything about it.

**It started next to the plastic piece by the steering wheel (left side of pic where you see a visible line along it). It has seemed to spread out since.

IMG_0197.jpg
How is the replacement holding up? Do you know how involved it was to change the dash top. My dealership is looking in to this currently.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any more info on this? What did they have to do to change the dash cap?

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Had a similar issue with my 2012 Si but more wide spread. The steering wheel air bag cover portion, both front door panel plastics and the arm rest cloth all started turning into a spotty white mess after 3-5 months of ownership. Never used anything on them except a dry microfiber cloth to dust them off. Dealer tried to say it was the cleaner I used "never used any" then they tried to say it was from sweat "what the.....?" Finally they gave the car back and said they cleaned all the white off with a special cleaner and it looks good as new. I waited 20min to let their cleaner dry before leaving, after drying it looked 10x worse!! Called the guy back out and they decided to replace it all. No issues for the 3 years I kept the car after that. It's gotta have something to do with their black dye, maybe it doesn't mix correctly or something sometimes.

Last edited: