Dash cams and installations

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
DOD cameras run off 12 volt, I thought they all did.
Depends on the model, it could be internally regulated. My Street Guardian SG9665GC requires a 5v power supply, Garmin GPS's also run off 5v. All modern cellphone chargers step down to 5v, amp output will differ though.
Sponsored

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Well, guess I'm back to the drawing board for now :(

I got my 12 ft cable and used a 2 USB port car charger and plugged the mini usb to it, and the dash cam would power on for a second then turn off, and would repeatedly do so. When using the original charger it came with, it powered up fine.

From what I can gather, my dash cam needs 5v to power it. The 2 port charger I have is splitting the 5v output between the 2 ports so one of the port itself isn't enough to power the dash cam.

Oh well, my passengers just need to be prepared and have their phones charged before riding with me :)

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Well, guess I'm back to the drawing board for now :(

I got my 12 ft cable and used a 2 USB port car charger and plugged the mini usb to it, and the dash cam would power on for a second then turn off, and would repeatedly do so. When using the original charger it came with, it powered up fine.

From what I can gather, my dash cam needs 5v to power it. The 2 port charger I have is splitting the 5v output between the 2 ports so one of the port itself isn't enough to power the dash cam.

Oh well, my passengers just need to be prepared and have their phones charged before riding with me :)
It could also be that 12 ft USB cable. Longer runs reduce the amperage, especially over thinner wires (common in cheap cables).

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I thought that too so I used a dual usb wall charger (110v) with the same v/amperage that the car charger claims (4.8A total/2.4A each) and it would work fine. It's when it's plugged in using various 2 port usb 12v charger I have (Anker, Aukey and Rayovac) that it would power in briefly, then turn off, and cycle again.

I checked what my dash cam's required input and it said 5v/1A so in theory, my chargers should work.

Gotta do some more research. I will not be defeated! :)

It could also be that 12 ft USB cable. Longer runs reduce the amperage, especially over thinner wires (common in cheap cables).

fohidrift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Sensing
@CdnColin @aaronarf
Where exactly is the sensor on the self dimming mirror? How far away does the dashcam need to be away from the sensors so that it's not even partially blocking the sensors at all? Thanks!

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@CdnColin @aaronarf
Where exactly is the sensor on the self dimming mirror? How far away does the dashcam need to be away from the sensors so that it's not even partially blocking the sensors at all? Thanks!
It's the little white lens on the drivers side. Think anything in front of it effects the mirror. My mirror now is always in the darkened night mode. It doesn't bother me and I do like my cam location. Personal choice. Suggest if your going to block the sensor you do a temporary fit to be sure your comfortable with a darkened mirror.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
^ I agree with @CdnColin. When I installed my dash cam in front of the sensor, I noticed my mirror had the night mode effect when I was inside my garage. But when I pulled out into the driveway (where it was sunny), it went back to normal. I didn't mind as well, I think it actually seem calming to drive with that mode on during the day :)

@CdnColin @aaronarf

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
My mirror hasn't changed - it is full brightness during daylight and operates as it should at night. My camera is small and not directly in the sensors line of sight.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I received my Touring the nav. system wasn't working properly. It couldn't find the satellites so Honda ordered me a new antenna. A few weeks later I installed my dash cam. When the new navigation antenna was installed Honda warned me that the dash cam may effect the GPS performance. No problems everything worked perfectly for several weeks. Now I am intermittently loosing satellite connection. If I unplug my dash cam for a few minutes, satellites are found, plug the dash cam in and I seem to be good for a few days.

Sounds bizarre but it's happening. Any other strange electrical stories out there concerning dash cams?

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
None for me, although I've only used my gps about 3 times with my dash cam already installed.

Probably doesn't have any connections, but my XM signal sometimes drop - but I'm sure that's because of going under heavy tree coverage or tunnels/overpass.

When I received my Touring the nav. system wasn't working properly. It couldn't find the satellites so Honda ordered me a new antenna. A few weeks later I installed my dash cam. When the new navigation antenna was installed Honda warned me that the dash cam may effect the GPS performance. No problems everything worked perfectly for several weeks. Now I am intermittently loosing satellite connection. If I unplug my dash cam for a few minutes, satellites are found, plug the dash cam in and I seem to be good for a few days.

Sounds bizarre but it's happening. Any other strange electrical stories out there concerning dash cams?

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag

What kind of crap unshielded hardware did they use that a digital camera in the vicinity can affect its performance? Does that mean you can't have a cell phone camera in the car also?

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agree, you'd think everyday electronics would and should play nice together.

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX w/sensing, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
I decided to go with the nanoq camera because of the low profile and exmor sensor. It has a sticky tape mount with a GPS receiver in the base, and now I'm just trying to decide where to stick it. Seems like the best spot would be to stick it on the plastic housing of the Sensing camera, because it would be protected from the heat of the sun and is also the most inconspicuous spot. Not sure if that's a good idea though, since it would probably leave marks if I ever had to remove it, or if there's an issue with the car camera and Honda gives me trouble for sticking stuff to that plastic housing. Also not sure how the GPS signal would be right there.
Alternately, I could stick it on the glass in front of the Sensing camera housing, or on the driver's side. Also don't know if the GPS signal can get through the perforated stuff on the driver's side. Any thoughts?

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations 2016-04-01 13.58.58

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations 2016-04-01 13.59.10

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations 2016-04-01 13.59.24

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations 2016-04-01 13.59.51

slen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring sedan
Country flag
Has anyone hardwired their dash cam to the fuse box? If you did where did you put the ground wire?
Sponsored