CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have it down pat now. Here's the second video. I have my dash cam default at 3 minute clips. Could take it down to the minimum loop of 1.5 minutes. Makes it much easier to edit and find the incident you are looking for. There is also a 2 minute High Definition setting. Think I'll go with that as it would still give me many hours of storage on the 32 GB mini SD card and improve video quality.

I have the audio turned off. Don't want anyone to hear what I may be saying or singing to.

If you had a GPS unit your speed and co-ordinates would be displayed bottom right.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One more (2 min.) taken today, with sound, going along the highway. Brighter day with the resolution set higher. Cold day so the fan is on medium speed. I'm adjusting the volume and noting the setting.

Last edited:

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
One more (2 min.) taken today, with sound, going along the highway. Brighter day with the resolution set higher. Cold day so the fan is on medium speed. I'm adjusting the volume and noting the setting.
I'm jealous - not only of the great job with the cam, but the fact that you can drive 2 whole minutes on the highway and not see a single orange barrel - let alone the thousands I'm used to after ten years of constant construction on I-75 through Dayton Ohio!

Great job on the cam, though. Good quality picture. I don't know if I'd want sound, though... If an accident happened and the music were loud, or you were talking a lot, it could look like you were partially responsible for not attending carefully to the road.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, exactly why I keep the audio muted. Also not a believer in GPS enabled dash cams. If you have an incident you know where you are. If you do need to remember a spot you can tag it with the navigation system. Also why do you need to record your speed. Much of this is available in the cars black box should something really serious happen.

Last edited:

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, exactly why I keep the audio muted. Also not a believer in GPS enabled dash cams. If you have an incident you know where you are. If you do need to remember a spot you can tag it with the navigation system. Also why do you need to record your speed. Much of this is available in the cars black box should something really serious happen.
It can be very helpful to prove that you were not breaking a speed limit. It would be especially true if you are pulled over for 'speeding', but also in accidents where you must prove you were driving safely at the time of an accident so that you don't take a hit on insurance.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it would be helpful if you weren't speeding. Video will usually show if you were driving responsibly. More importantly it can be used if the other person was at fault. If you are at fault you probably wouldn't want to use your video.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Here is my addition to the thread, sorry I missed it the first time!

Just installed my Street Guardian SG9665GC fits real nice next to the sensing suite behind the rear view mirror. I have the screen set to turn off after 15 seconds so it isn't a distraction.

Haven't hard wired it yet I just tucked the wires up under the head liner and ran to the passenger side under black door molding behind the glove box and to the 12v plug.

2016-01-16 14.03.27.jpg

2016-01-16 16.26.23.jpg

You can only see the front of the camera lens peaking out under the black dots, blends very nice with the sensing suite. Real difficult to get a good picture since it was so sunny today.

There is a slight bit of reflection/glare coming off the dash which will be corrected when I can order a polarized lens (backordered) but the footage is still great.

This camera also has a GPS receiver which I don't plan on running right now - I don't need a location or speed overlay on the video. :tinfoilhat:

I'll edit this post once I take some screen shots of some driving footage and get some better mounted pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Aaron, I found the 12 volt outlet under the console to work great. Very well hidden. I have no other use for it so I won't attempt to hard wire my dash cam. Your installation looks very discrete. Nice install.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi Aaron, I found the 12 volt outlet under the console to work great. Very well hidden. I have no other use for it so I won't attempt to hard wire my dash cam. Your installation looks very discrete. Nice install.
My only concern is passengers on long road trips needing to charge phones, etc. It is ideal for running something like a camera though, we routed our cables very similarly. I dropped the glove box down and coiled the excess wire behind there and then tucked it into the trim from there leaving just enough cord to unplug from the outlet.

I'm going to look into possibly installing some USB outlets in the backside of the console for rear passengers as well. I can't believe its got heated seats back there and not a single plug.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I charge my phone via the USB outlet. Hope the iPhone 7 has wireless charging and the wireless charging pad can be used.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Quick update. my install does not interfere with the sensors on the self dimming mirror, the Street Guardian SG9665GC clears the front of the sensor by 2-3"

j_illang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Sorry for the delay, just now getting a bit of time to play with it. I am trying to post 2 videos with each being about 3 minutes. That is the loop time I have my dash cam set at. First try at this so please bear with me. Not sure how big these files are. Examples are night time around town and one daytime backroad. If this works and you would like other examples just ask.

**** notice the Police (lights off !!!) keeping an eye my shiny new 2016 Civic in the night footage.

Having a problem. File sizes are around 400 MB and our forum doesn't like them. File format is .mov

Trying to post a YouTube video but it has been so long that I think account and settings are dead. This old dog has to re-learn new tricks.

Edit:
Had to relearn how to publish to youtube. Think I got it!! Took awhile. I'll do the other shortly.

wow man the quality is 100

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
wow man the quality is 100
Thanks. The windshield was a bit dirty and was on a medium resolution setting. It's actually a slightly better now.
Sponsored