Dash cams and installations

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
^Well done, better not to mess around airbags haha.

That said, the force they deploy at will likely rip through any cords, but it's always better to do it right.
Sponsored

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
So, I wired up my dashcam today to the light console up top. Much easier than bringing the wire down, especially if you were going to direct wire it anyways.
Go here for detailed instructions for removal of light console
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oem-homelink-install.4683/

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations IMG_20171227_173408

Soldered 2 wires into USB adaptor, you could also buy the direct wire kit, mine only came with a normal carcharger style USB adaptor, so I wired it in.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations MVIMG_20171227_153051

With 12v to USB adaptor wired in.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations MVIMG_20171227_154421

Zip tied to sunroof wires to hold in place
Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations MVIMG_20171227_155331

Installed, wire tucked above headliner
Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations MVIMG_20171227_163021

From outside
Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations MVIMG_20171227_162954

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations MVIMG_20171227_153037

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations MVIMG_20171227_163016

Last edited:

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
So, I wired up my dashcam today to the light console up top. Much easier than bringing the wire down, especially if you were going to direct wire it anyways.
Go here for detailed instructions for removal of light console
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oem-homelink-install.4683/

IMG_20171227_173408.jpg

Soldered 2 wires into USB adaptor, you could also buy the direct wire kit, mine only came with a normal carcharger style USB adaptor, so I wired it in.
MVIMG_20171227_153051.jpg

With 12v to USB adaptor wired in.
MVIMG_20171227_154421.jpg

Zip tied to sunroof wires to hold in place
MVIMG_20171227_155331.jpg

Installed, wire tucked above headliner
MVIMG_20171227_163021.jpg

From outside
MVIMG_20171227_162954.jpg

MVIMG_20171227_153037.jpg

MVIMG_20171227_163016.jpg

akrachanko

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.krachanko.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Happy new year all. I realize I'm a bit late to this party, and what I have to say might already have been said, but I'll share the details of my dashcam setup in my 2017 Civic EX-T. I can get pictures if anyone is interested. Firstly, the camera I chose to use is the Thinkware F770 with the rear camera and the hard wiring kit. I had a F750 in my previous vehicle and it withstood the hottest and coldest temperatures that got thrown at it, so I got the F770. Its a very sleek camera, and the picture quality is great, especially at night.

Now for how I hooked it up. I placed it so I can't see it behind the rear-view mirror. I also put my PA EZPass right above it. For power, I tapped into the fuse box near the OBD port using fuse taps. I cannot remember exactly which fuses I tapped, but it was one that was on all the time, and one that switched with the ignition. From here, the wires were run up the weather stripping to the A pillar. Carefully I removed the pillar and ran the cable under it, and under the edge of the head liner to the center of the car, then down to the camera from there.

The rear camera was placed in the center of the rear window as close to the head liner as I could squeeze it. The cable I started running from the front camera ran under the headliner, under the a pillar at the top, and down the weather stripping of the driver window. Then it goes under the B pillar between the front and rear seats right at the top of the pillar, and right into the weather stripping of the rear driver window. From here I connected it to the rear camera, and neatly tucked all of the excess into the rear C pillar.

The whole setup looks very clean and give me peace of mind on the road, and off, since the Thinkware has a parking mode that will run UNTIL it reaches a cutoff voltage, to prevent drain of the battery. I'd be happy to answer any questions and take a few pictures if anyone would like to see the finished product. Sadly I don't have pictures of the process.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looking for a good setup for my car... I'm leaning towards a dual (front/rear) setup... I'll post up what I find out the results... I don't have time to document any install unfortunately but I'll try to be detailed on whatever I do...

Hatchback_lifestyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (VERY SOON)
Country flag
Sorry for bringing this topic back up but I have a few questions (the answer is probabaly in here but I didn't want to read through 14 pages please forgive me)

1, would taking off the A pilar cover and tucking the wires behind the airbag be a better idea (like mentioned in the last page) or would using some trim tool and tucking the wire into the top of the A pilar then run the wire into the weather stripping be a better idea?

2, as for hardwiring, is it possible to get to the fuse box and do all the work without removing that entire driver side footwell panel down?

2A, I'm getting a thinkware hardwiring kit but there's a red and yellow wire and they seem like they gotta be krimped with some other cable...should I at that point just go to an installer and have them do the work? I've attached an image of the one I'm thinking of getting since it's the same brand

Honda Civic 10th gen Dash cams and installations M4knIn2

3, if I do need to remove that cover I'm assuming there are connectors to all the buttons (especially since I have sensing) which means I gotta remove them...how difficult is it to remove are just cables where you pinch the connector and they release?

4, where's the best place to mount the camera if you have sensing

5, for hatchbacks how different is the install for the rear camera as for routing and storing excess cable?

akrachanko

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.krachanko.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Sorry for bringing this topic back up but I have a few questions (the answer is probabaly in here but I didn't want to read through 14 pages please forgive me)

1, would taking off the A pilar cover and tucking the wires behind the airbag be a better idea (like mentioned in the last page) or would using some trim tool and tucking the wire into the top of the A pilar then run the wire into the weather stripping be a better idea?

2, as for hardwiring, is it possible to get to the fuse box and do all the work without removing that entire driver side footwell panel down?

2A, I'm getting a thinkware hardwiring kit but there's a red and yellow wire and they seem like they gotta be krimped with some other cable...should I at that point just go to an installer and have them do the work? I've attached an image of the one I'm thinking of getting since it's the same brand

M4knIn2.jpg

3, if I do need to remove that cover I'm assuming there are connectors to all the buttons (especially since I have sensing) which means I gotta remove them...how difficult is it to remove are just cables where you pinch the connector and they release?

4, where's the best place to mount the camera if you have sensing

5, for hatchbacks how different is the install for the rear camera as for routing and storing excess cable?
So I can offer a bit of insight, as I put a camera in my non-sensing Civic Sedan, as well as helped a friend put one in this Sensing CRV. So, let me hit each of these questions for you .

1. I took the a-pillar off and carefully secured the wire behind the airbag to insure it wouldn't interfere with it if it ever went off. I have, in other vehicles, run across the top of the a-pillar and down the weather stripping. In my experience tucking the wire under the weather stripping is a pain, and taking the A-pillar of the Civic off isn't very difficult at all.

2. I used 2 fuse taps into the internal fuse box, and I did not need to remove any panels. All I had to do was loosen one bolt to allow the ground wire to be attached. If using fuse taps, you will need Low-Profile Mini Fuse taps and fuses. Also if using fuse taps, you will need to insure you have a good crimp connection to the hardwire kit wires on the fuse tap. I find it helpful to double the wire over a few times before crimping. 2A. It's not very hard to do yourself, so I think you don't need to use the installer.

3/4. I would not remove the cover from the sensing stuff. If you mount the camera on the bottom left corner of the sensing unit, you will not see it behind your mirror, and the cables can be routed using the stick on clips to the side of the sensing unit, and it will look very clean. The wires get run from the camera up to under the headliner, then the rest is up to you with the A-pillar.

5. Cannot speak from experience, but in the CRV, I removed the rear plastic cover at the back of the headliner on the car side, and the top of the window plastic piece on the tailgate side, and was able to carefully feed the rear camera wire through the rubber cable protector to the tailgate, to insure it will not get sheared or damaged. This was a good deal of just taking off panels and looking around to see what would work, and you'll just have to remove some panels and go for it. If you can find the openings on both sides of the rubber wire protector, you should be good.

Best of luck there friend!

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag

You can wire the hardwire kit to the light console if you want. See my post above, it's pretty easy, just clip into a couple wires.

Last edited:

Hatchback_lifestyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (VERY SOON)
Country flag
Best of luck there friend!
Thank you so much!! I've seen videos of people removing that driver side panel on the civic to gain access to the fuse box but guess they probabaly did that for convenience.

Also did I confuse you on question 3? I was talking about the big plastic cover below the steering wheel and in order to remove that whole cover I believe the button bank on the left would need to be disconnected Or could I just reach under that panel .

akrachanko

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.krachanko.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Also did I confuse you on question 3? I was talking about the big plastic cover below the steering wheel and in order to remove that whole cover I believe the button bank on the left would need to be disconnected Or could I just reach under that panel .
Yup, little confused, but no harm done. I did it a while ago in my Civic (little over a year), and if I recall correctly, I did remove the panel under the steering wheel to make everything a little easier. The connectors are, like you said a simple squeeze and remove type. Just be careful when removing them that you don't force them. I remember the sensor on the right side of the wheel where the slots are through the plastic was a bit odd, but again, its been a bit. Just go slow, be careful, and you'll be fine!

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Can anyone please tell me which fuse # to connect to so that when u turn on the car the dash cam will turn on? currently i have it plugged into the cigarette lighter for about a year now and i wanna change that :(. I have the spy tec A119 V2 + GPS Logger 1440p car dash cam.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
yes i need to know what fuse people are using also im about to hardwire. actually its a fuse tap

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
yes i need to know what fuse people are using also im about to hardwire. actually its a fuse tap
Hey, since u and I are looking for the same answer I thought ill share what i found :). i saw this youtube video that shows u how to hardwired the dash cam. it looks like the guy uses the fuse #1, the accessories fuse, for when the car is on the dash cam will be on and when the car is off the dash cam will be off. he also shows u how to hardwired a switch for whenever u want the dash cam to be always on (parking mode) with just a push of a button. he uses the fuse #16. i will try it when the weather is cooler here. i thought he did a pretty good job explaining it. the link is here:
Sponsored