Dammit, dead battery on 2019?!?!

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My '19 hatch is not even a year old yet and seemingly outta now where, the battery died. Roadside came out and jumped it and now I'm sitting at the dealership waiting on a new battery. The service guy acted like, "yep, another dead battery replacement" when I told him what happened.

What is up with these "newer" batteries? I know today's cars run a lot of electrical but I don't ever recall changing out my battery in my '91 Integra ONCE in the 10-plus years I drove her. haha.

TO ADD: I also had my '18 CR-V's battery go "bad" too but that took maybe a little over a year...
Sponsored

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
From what I understand batteries don’t last in Florida more than 3 years and tires I got a year to go but not on the tires I got change them in the near future
Btw the same thing happen with my 2014 Elantra bought the car in March of 2014 moved to Florida December 2014 battery died in January 2015

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Do not replace with OEM junk. Spend a few bucks more and get a decent battery.
I went with a maintenance free AGM from Autozone and 1 size bigger for more CCA. Here in Ohio batteries get destroyed in winter.

It's also a good idea to check your battery regularly. Places like autozone do it for free. Most people assume a battery lasts 3 to 5 years and never even bother checking.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dammit, dead battery on 2019?!?! Screenshot_20200208-103205_Gallery

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is warm weather destroy battery, not cold climate.

Silverrascal did you do any electrical mod on your car ?
Like big audio amp and speaker

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Um no. The cold will also kill a battery, especially sub zero temperatures. I worked in the automotive field and we would change hundreds of batteries every winter.
It is warm weather destroy battery, not cold climate.

Silverrascal did you do any electrical mod on your car ?
Like big audio amp and speaker

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The cold raises the resistance of a battery to where it’s unable to supply current effectively. It actually doesn’t ‘kill’ it... but it does prevent an ailing battery... one with poor capacity from being able to supply sufficient cranking amps since cranking amps are going to be inversely proportional to its internal resistance... so in the end, it can look like the cold did it in. For all intents and purposes, it did, since it won’t perform anymore. It doesn’t matter if the cold is effective preserving a battery. Preservation isn’t the point... the thing needs to start the car.

Warm weather causes the grid to breakdown quicker, so it’s actually what does the damage. For marine batteries I’ve worked with, every 20F above their nominal service temp 25C/77F, service life was halved... because of grid corrosion. We both heated and cooled the battery well as needed to balance good service life with good capacity. So you’re both kind of right. Heat kills a battery... but a battery that’s getting wrecked and on its last leg but still working on a hot day from lowered internal resistance will all of a sudden not be able to supply enough cranking amps when you get a cold snap. If you have a smallish battery with so-so capacity to start with (i.e. the OEM battery), so your cycling it deeper than a car with a larger battery, it doesn’t take a lot to make it tap out.

A couple random tables... it’s all a balancing act. When you keep your battery out of a temperature controlled environment, it’s subject to the whims of that environment.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dammit, dead battery on 2019?!?! 4AA8E546-0752-4C76-B9B9-DF59D46A6D79

This is off a marine battery... as you’d never do 80% DoD on a starting battery, but the effect is the same.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dammit, dead battery on 2019?!?! 6209BBB6-36B5-4F8E-A643-3A658E013A03

I’ve lived in both hot and cold climates over all the places I’ve been stationed and grew up in FL. The hot climates are hell on a battery. Cold? If you have a good battery with good capacity, the can last a long... long time and still crank well. If not, well... come the cold weather, they’re going to be weak starters. Small batteries have plates with limited surface area so their cranking amps are always going to be so-so at best. It can be compensated by trying to use more numerous, thinner plates, but then service life is going to be affected. Or, get a larger battery if you can. Bigger is always better when it comes to a battery. If you hear different... she’s just saying that to make you feel better. ;)

...and yeah. The OEM batteries are mediocre at best. Get your free replacements while the getting good if you want, but you’ll be doing good to get 3 years out of it. It’s a wear item and will be replaced as needed. I’d prefer pay out of pocket for a quality item than get free replacements which might leave me stranded. That... and the closest Honda dealership is an hour away. It isn’t work my time to get a free, crappy battery.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Um no. The cold will also kill a battery, especially sub zero temperatures. I worked in the automotive field and we would change hundreds of batteries every winter.

A battery is much more damaged by the hot temperature in summer.
And it will be in winter during very cold weather that we will notice that the battery is in poor condition. In extreme cold the battery can lose a significant amount of its power.
So if it is in bad condition at the start .....

This is the reason why you change more batterys in winter

I live in a ( very ) cold country , Quebec, Canada.
All my cars sleep outside and battery last 10 years and more.
I keep my 2 last car 13-15 years with original battery.

I'm not the only one here.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...affects-your-car-battery-what-to-do-about-it/

Summer heat is tougher on car batteries than winter’s chill. It may seem counterintuitive, but higher temperatures have a greater impact on the power-generating chemistry inside.

And it’s not just about air temperature. Hot summer temps drive up the heat under the hood and accelerate the onset of battery failure. As a result, many motorists wind up stuck along the roadside in the summer. AAA reports that it responded to 1.8 million battery-related service calls in the summer of 2018.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
True batteries will last longer in a four season climate ( mostly cooler)
When I bought my car in for service they said I probably have a year ish to change it
When I lived in NY a battery would last me until it’s expired date

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My personal feeling is that a DOA battery is useless regardless of how it got that way.

Many, many folks here have had to replace their original battery sooner than later.

I second the 'Autozone' recommendation. I bought the next-to-highest (yellow, I think) battery that was not AGM.

Ask the salesperson if you can have one off the back of the rack (newer) rather than the next one in the dispenser thingy.

And buy one of those 'memory keeper' things so you won't lose all your settings.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The dealer replaced mine on my '17 within the first year and I didn't even know it was going bad. Car had no problems cranking, but when I went in for the oil change they were like "We're replacing your battery as well". It was warranty so I didn't complain.

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The dealer replaced mine on my '17 within the first year and I didn't even know it was going bad. Car had no problems cranking, but when I went in for the oil change they were like "We're replacing your battery as well". It was warranty so I didn't complain.
Mine was also working fine up until that day. I never suspected an issue until I tried to start the car and it was turn over. Glad they caught yours before you got stranded somewhere.
Sponsored