D2 Racing Coilovers Review

moistener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I purchased a set of D2 Racing RS coilovers from @procivic and had them installed. It's been about a couple weeks and I wanted to give a quick review on them so far. I went for a mild drop (about an inch lower or 2 finger gap between the tire and fender) as it'll be winter soon. Keep in mind, what you see in the photos is the max height for the rear coilovers.

I've had Tein's on my previous vehicle and like these, handling and stability is much improved. However, the ride quality has taken a bit of a hit. Bumps and dips on the road are definitely noticeable and you'll definitely have to be careful driving on poorly paved roads. I'm currently playing around with the damper settings and to be honest, I haven't noticed much of a difference between the settings of 1 to 16 (clicks from 'soft'). The 36-way dampening system seems like it would offer a lot of adjustability but this may be more of a gimmick and any difference may be more psychological. I would expect more expensive brands like Ohlins to have a more distinct feel between the damper settings.

Time will tell on how they hold up. Rough roads (sharp bumps, dips, and potholes) can be pretty jarring even at the softest dampening settings and the mild drop that I currently have. In the end, I like how my vehicle sits and will update this thread on how these coilovers age. Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Since this post I've switched my setup to Eibach Pro-Kit springs and I'm thrilled with this setup for the D2 Racing RS coilovers. In short, the coilovers were a bit too aggressive for me and the roads where I live don't take too kindly to this setup. You can check my post history on a more detailed reason why I made the switch.

Honda Civic 10th gen D2 Racing Coilovers Review IMG_4383

Honda Civic 10th gen D2 Racing Coilovers Review IMG_4384-Edit

Last edited:

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Your 10th Gen looks AMAZING...damn.

As far as the ride quality for bumps, etc., the only thing I can suggest is try not to pre-load the springs too much. What we did here is tightened them until they were "snug" and then tightened them a bit more to add only about 2mm of additional compression (or "pre-load"). Of course, this needs to be done with the car jacked up so there is no weight on the particular coilover you're adjusting.

I think you will still find that the springs on the D2 coilovers are a bit on the stiff side, but for that reason they do perform really well at the track. The handling improvement is huge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moistener

moistener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your 10th Gen looks AMAZING...damn.

As far as the ride quality for bumps, etc., the only thing I can suggest is try no to pre-load the springs too much. What we did here is tightened them until they were "snug" and then tightened them a bit more to add only about 2mm of additional compression (or "pre-load"). Of course, this needs to be done with the car jacked up so there is no weight on the particular coilover you're adjusting.

I think you will still find that the springs on the D2 coilovers are a bit on the stiff side, but for that reason they do perform really well at the track. The handling improvement is huge.
Many thanks! I appreciate you answering all my questions and the great customer service.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
Your car looks amazing.
I'm sorry for hijacking your thread, but ...
is the rear strut mounting the same on your sedan as a coupe?
I just took apart my entire trunk and couldn't find a place to get to the top of the strut.
I too have gotten D2 delivered, and trying to knock out an air ride setup within 24 hours.

OP
OP
moistener

moistener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your car looks amazing.
I'm sorry for hijacking your thread, but ...
is the rear strut mounting the same on your sedan as a coupe?
I just took apart my entire trunk and couldn't find a place to get to the top of the strut.
I too have gotten D2 delivered, and trying to knock out an air ride setup within 24 hours.
I got mine professionally installed. There's no top mount access in the rear, unfortunately. There's a video from @procivic (the place where I purchased my coilovers) on how to install D2 RS racing coilovers. While it's not the air-ride setup, it may be of some help to you.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. I saw this video, but it is of a sedan, like your's.
I just hope the Coupe is the same, seeing as how
the wheel base is supposed to be the same throughout all 10th gen Civic platforms.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
Beautiful ride.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A little update since my last post here:

The coupe suspension is the same as the sedan's.
The top mount bolts in the rear are done from the outside and you don't have to take the liner out to get to them.

I've had the bags on the car for several months and there are no odd clunking or strange sounds.
Perhaps the pre-load is a little off like the OP has said.
I've noticed, in the rear, if the shock isn't adjusted so there's a tiny bit of tension,
the bag can move around or get jarred loose.
I'm not sure how long the rear spring and perch for the coilover kit is, but the bags are pretty short.
I may have to purchase a perch to adjust the height in the rear, as currently, it sits quite low.
The plus side of air suspension is "variable spring rate". The more air pressure you put in the bag, the stiffer it gets. LOL!

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
Are you guys on D2 coilovers happy with how low they go?

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you guys on D2 coilovers happy with how low they go?
I'm on D2 air, but as far as I can tell, the struts and shocks are probably the same.
If I get just the right pressure in the bags, the spring rate is good enough for a comfortable but sporty ride.
I'm happy with the ride quality, and my rear 18" inch wheels tuck into the quarter panel.
The fronts could probably tuck, too, but I ordered the wrong offset so the fender is resting on the tire.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm on D2 air, but as far as I can tell, the struts and shocks are probably the same.
If I get just the right pressure in the bags, the spring rate is good enough for a comfortable but sporty ride.
I'm happy with the ride quality, and my rear 18" inch wheels tuck into the quarter panel.
The fronts could probably tuck, too, but I ordered the wrong offset so the fender is resting on the tire.
what are your wheel specs ? because i want to lower my car but hate to buy the wrong wheel setup and rub

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what are your wheel specs ? because i want to lower my car but hate to buy the wrong wheel setup and rub
I got 18x10 +20 which is perfect for the rear, but horrible for the front.
I probably would have had better luck with the +35 in the front of the same width.
Tires are 225/40/18.
But hey ... at least now I have an excuse to get carbon widebody fenders, right?
j/k ... I can't afford $1k for fenders.
Sponsored