Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
Speaking of front pipes, I am curious to get opinions from folks running DS on any benefit from a front pipe and/or exhaust. Is there any discernible increase in power that would actually help at autox? Typically, I would write off exhausts on otherwise stock cars as almost an aesthetic mod - just for sound and looks based on personal preference. But with the turbo are there "real" gains to be had?

I'm a recovering ricer and now consider myself to be more on the old man end of the spectrum and I actually prefer the stock exhaust for daily driving. Not trying to ruin the car by adding an obnoxious exhaust, but also not trying to leave power on the table... Because you know, srs bzns and whatever.

My current prep simply consists of 3 sets of DS Motegis and a Whiteline RSB (which I will probably replace with stock for lower grip surfaces like Packwood).

I had a Invida R400 on mine (since swapped to a Ti exhaust) and did a couple dyno runs back to back with a friend with a FK8 with a stock exhaust. There are definately measureable gains.... whether or not they make a difference on a auto-x course is another story. The front pipe is a big once since the OEM one is a 2.5" OD pipe where as the aftermarket ones are a full 3" OD. The OEM exhaust downstream of the front pipe is pretty much a 3" unit i believe.

See the post below for my dyno plot from that day overlayed with my friends:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/invidia-r400.21429/page-15#post-462384
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OEM exhaust I think was 2.5" or 2.75"(whatever the metric equiv ends up being),, and got narrower near the mufflers.

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
OEM exhaust I think was 2.5" or 2.75"(whatever the metric equiv ends up being),, and got narrower near the mufflers.
Ahh thanks! Its been a while since I looked at the exhaust (been over a year since i've had the stock exhaust). I measured it once but i forgot what it actually was. All I know is that the front pipe is the restriction.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
Exhaust behind the downpipe
One sway bar
Wheels/tires, but wheels must be +/- 1" diameter and +/- 7 mm offset from OE spec

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
That means the popular Titan 7 18x9.5 wheel would move the car to a different class

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That means the popular Titan 7 18x9.5 wheel would move the car to a different class
correct, there are few options out there though since acura dealers now require VINs to purchase nc1 wheels :doh:

here was my DS set up last season:
alignment: -1.7 camber and 0 toe square, max front caster
bama dave cf rock guards
exhaust: prl fp & sequence manufacturing sequence manufacturing titanium exhaust
karcepts rsb: 3rd hole both sides
mishimoto catch can
suspension: oem in R+ mode
traction control: off (10 sec hold)
wheels/tires: nsx y's with 255/35 RE71Rs
tire pressures: 33/31 psi hot

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anybody here have any plans to run the Vegas Pro who is not currently planning on running the Crows Pro due to driving distance? Considering trying to find someone to trade fly-and-drives with to get another national event in.

With Packwood in jeopardy (although I'm hopeful the national events will remain this year at least), there aren't really any other events that are very accessible from the PNW. If Packwood does fall through, the Crows Pro will be the only Tour/Pro on my calendar.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
correct, there are few options out there though since acura dealers now require VINs to purchase nc1 wheels :doh:

here was my DS set up last season:
alignment: -1.7 camber and 0 toe square, max front caster
bama dave cf rock guards
exhaust: prl fp & sequence manufacturing sequence manufacturing titanium exhaust
karcepts rsb: 3rd hole both sides
mishimoto catch can
suspension: oem in R+ mode
traction control: off (10 sec hold)
wheels/tires: nsx y's with 255/35 RE71Rs
tire pressures: 33/31 psi hot

A catch can is legal?

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A catch can is legal as long as it does not affect the function of the car's PCV system or provide any performance gains.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had my first event of the season yesterday and due to the conditions, I was able to add another data point to the pedal dance vs. long press topic.

The event was a small-ish local lot, freshly paved. Weather was what made it interesting. It was very cold in the morning and by the time my group started around 11 am it was low 40s and the pavement was still damp from the previous night's rain (no standing water though). With 1 rerun, I ended up getting a total of 7 runs with my notes below:

Runs 1-2: Long press only, damp conditions. Car was stupid loose and unpredictable - I found myself in a full lock slide more than once. I dropped rear tire pressure to try and make things a bit more stable between 1 and 2 to no avail.

Runs 3-5: Full pedal dance. Conditions drying over the course of these runs as the sun had finally come out. Car was much more predictable in the damp conditions and I finally found some clean runs. By run 5, the course was essentially dry and I noticed a few areas on course where I felt some understeer.

Runs 6-7: Back to the long press only with dry conditions. Car was ever so slightly looser - enough that the spots where I felt the understeer in the previous runs felt better these two runs. I found a bunch of time, but I think it had as much to do with me shaking the rust off as anything else.

This matches pretty well with what others have said. In any sort of damp conditions I will be going straight for the pedal dance. I think what was interesting for me is that the pedal dance vs. long press may be a useful setup tool given marginal conditions/course. I.e. In cold, but dry conditions or on a course with pinchy/pushy elements, changing from long press to pedal dance or vice versa can be used to change the balance of the car enough to compensate.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
Getting ready for the season by installing my Karcepts rear sway bar,, drop in AFE filter, front pipe and getting some fresh sticky tires mounted on one of my sets of Motegi's. Alignment next week, and the games begin.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious if anyone got the RV6 rear bar. Softer rate than Karcepts but looks like it might be stock endlinks compatible. And its the bar they put on the turnkey Type R Touring car that Honda announced recently...

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Curious if anyone got the RV6 rear bar. Softer rate than Karcepts but looks like it might be stock endlinks compatible. And its the bar they put on the turnkey Type R Touring car that Honda announced recently...
interesting, half the cost but less adjustable.