revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1985 Supra endurance race car
Country flag
I struggled with this for a while until I realized that I was sometimes overlapping throttle and brake inputs, which causes the car to kill the throttle for a half-second or so. Once I started making a conscious effort to not overlap, the problem went away.

Not saying this is definitely what’s happening to you, but something to be aware of.
Do you left-foot brake? I don't, but may move quickly enough from brake to throttle that the ECU reads it as overlap. The symptom you describe is exactly what it felt like - loss of power for less than a second.
Sponsored

PedalFaster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever people will let me drive
Country flag
Do you left-foot brake? I don't, but may move quickly enough from brake to throttle that the ECU reads it as overlap. The symptom you describe is exactly what it felt like - loss of power for less than a second.
I left-foot brake. I thought I had to actually overlap inputs to cause the problem, not just do them in close proximity, but I didn't confirm with data or anything.

The specific symptom I experienced was hesitation at corner exit -- I'd push the gas, and nothing would happen, then the car would accelerate as normal a split-second later. At first I thought it was fuel starve, but it happened even with lots of gas in the car.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
I don't LFB and also encountered, so close does seem to count.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
This is good news. Now we'll have to see what Rick Ruth says about PAX for 2020.
Chances are very little but it certainly doesn't help for you to be advocating publicly elsewhere that the PAX should be much tougher unless that is your intended goal.

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My apologies. I doubt that my voice carries much influence.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Any damage you do isn't from loose talk on forums. It's being atop pax in a competitive region where RR isn't used to seeing you there. (In the past I've gotten emails from him asking about conditions, sites, etc., when the results were anomalous.)

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I left-foot brake. I thought I had to actually overlap inputs to cause the problem, not just do them in close proximity, but I didn't confirm with data or anything.

The specific symptom I experienced was hesitation at corner exit -- I'd push the gas, and nothing would happen, then the car would accelerate as normal a split-second later. At first I thought it was fuel starve, but it happened even with lots of gas in the car.
So this is interesting since I am reading Simmons' posts on tSB on the LFB thing. You guys(in Chris' car) run with the pedal dance exclusively right? So it still does cut power doing that?

The interesting thing I thought was Eric mentioning SI doesn't do it. Which seems interesting since to autoX that car you have to pedal dance, so I was wondering if there are some maybe differences there.

PedalFaster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever people will let me drive
Country flag
You guys(in Chris' car) run with the pedal dance exclusively right? So it still does cut power doing that? The interesting thing I thought was Eric mentioning SI doesn't do it.
Yes*, yes, and yes, respectively. :)

* Technically, we *ran* like that, as both of us jumped ship to big-power RWD cars this year. :p

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any damage you do isn't from loose talk on forums. It's being atop pax in a competitive region where RR isn't used to seeing you there. (In the past I've gotten emails from him asking about conditions, sites, etc., when the results were anomalous.)
Thanks for the information, Des. I have no idea what kind of calculations go into RRs PAX numbers, but I hear that there are a large amount of events and results that are thrown into the mix. I didn't realize that the index numbers were used at the national level (Pro Solo).

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, well put it to you this way, RR makes a solid point of coming up, giving me that bear hug and asking me how things been running. For a two year stretch, he tracked every event I did in FS.

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, well put it to you this way, RR makes a solid point of coming up, giving me that bear hug and asking me how things been running. For a two year stretch, he tracked every event I did in FS.
If any strangers approach me at an event and gives me a bear hug I'm keeping my thoughts to myself :)

What were you doing in FS that warranted his attention?

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If any strangers approach me at an event and gives me a bear hug I'm keeping my thoughts to myself :)

What were you doing in FS that warranted his attention?
In 2016, I won FTDi in my FS M3 at something ridiculous like 26 of 32 non-National events spanning Chicago SCCA, Indy SCCA, CCSCC (an Indy from Champaign, IL), St.L SCCA (his local club), and TSSCC. I think that year out of some ~4500 indexed competitors, I was beaten by 30 approximately. He pretty much used my stats as a barometer on pax adjustments. I then drove like shit at Nat's in 2016, and ran into Cashmore and Leeder (split a couple of events with Mike) in 2017. I think his hugs now are to console for me for being a low trophy contender at Nat's.

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In 2016, I won FTDi in my FS M3 at something ridiculous like 26 of 32 non-National events spanning Chicago SCCA, Indy SCCA, CCSCC (an Indy from Champaign, IL), St.L SCCA (his local club), and TSSCC. I think that year out of some ~4500 indexed competitors, I was beaten by 30 approximately. He pretty much used my stats as a barometer on pax adjustments. I then drove like shit at Nat's in 2016, and ran into Cashmore and Leeder (split a couple of events with Mike) in 2017. I think his hugs now are to console for me for being a low trophy contender at Nat's.
Great story! That's some serious driving in those big regions.

Congrats on the Type R purchase.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I did my first local CCSCC event in the Type R this past weekend bone stock on the stock tires. Just wanted to get a baseline of what the car has before I start going down the rat hole buying a bar and tires (next Spring). Temps on Saturday were 40~ in the first session/55 in the afternoon. Finished 2nd in class to the guy who took FTDi and 6th overall. As a barometer, I was within two STS guys (1 who was .01 from the jacket this year) who trophied, so not an embarrassment. Sunday, was 5th on index .5 out although I coned away a run which would have taken it. All in all not bad. Some of the regulars predicted gloom and doom beforehand, and were really stunned I had such little issues. Hey they car has four wheels/tires like my last one so what's the big deal.

Overall thoughts of the car was other than the useless first gear grip/short shift to avoid any wheel hop due to absolutely no bite, the car was pretty stellar, very predictable, fast in transitions, and impressive. The 20" wheels and Continentals are at best ok but I'm not going to buy new tires for two more events just have them winter over. We had one section where you had to shift to 3rd and back which was very easy and without drama. Stock exhaust is really quiet which for the most part allows the tunes I crank to be really easily heard but I must admit not hearing any exhaust sound is a bit weird. The #1 biggest challenge for me was recalibrating my brain as to went the boost would come and how much advance throttle tip in was needed to have max power on corner track out. My M3 had very linear power where by mid-apex you could do a progressively roll. This car seems to have a pre-boost malaise just before all hell breaks loose when boost is in. Now I am headed to Chicago SCCA region event to pick up a few sets of wheels and tires from Leeder this weekend. Not running although I was tempted but plan on spending the weekend selling off BMW parts/wheels.
Sponsored