D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing

1. Apex Carver

Apex Carver Senior Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Car(s):
    CTR-12133, ITR 01-1294, 05 Outback XT
    Now i want to try R mode again just to see if im missing something here haha.

2. RacingManiac

RacingManiac Senior Member

First Name:
    Jen
    Car(s):
    2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
    FWIW I am fine with the car as is, but want to see if something needs to be experimented with. I don't have money for some fancy custom shocks for DS anyway...lol

3. apexit53

apexit53 Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    19 CTR
    It doesn't need fancy shocks anyway! The only time i could see running sport and doing the pedal dance is in the rain. just to have the softer settings. but that said ive ran in the rain in +R and the car felt fine.

4. Banannie

Banannie Member

First Name:
    Annie
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR, 2008 S2K CR delete
    What Mike said

I like how the car behaves in R, and 95% of the time I plan to run that. But cool (55 degree) rain / asphalt / Packwood bumps = Sport + pedal dance time

5. RacingManiac

First Name:
    Jen
    Car(s):
    Omg the car is so quiet now

6. Simmons-Racing

First Name:
    Eric
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic SI, 2017 STR Miata
    I worked station 1 both days. That sucks about no video, I was waiting to see them.

7. apexit53

apexit53 Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    19 CTR
    yeah, half way to the event i realised it. should have just borrowed one

8. PedalFaster

PedalFaster Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Car(s):
    Whatever people will let me drive
    I never back-to-backed them in Apex Carver's car, but I've wondered this as well. A bunch of you have commented at various times about how loose the Type R is, and have even run smaller-than-Karcepts bars as a result. Conversely, Apex Carver's car, which had a pretty typical alignment, a Karcepts rear bar, and staggered tires (narrower in the rear) was never loose -- and I'm a guy who's pretty sensitive to the rear end moving around.

My guess is that this difference in perspective may be due to the fact that we always did the pedal dance, whereas it sounds like most of you just do a long press.

9. RacingManiac

First Name:
    Jen
    Car(s):
    Thats basically my thoughts, and something to try maybe. Probably a local autoX isn't gonna be anything conclusive but would be interesting to see what that leads...

10. Florence_NC

Florence_NC Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Type R
    I don't get why the pedal dance would be the best way to run on dry pavement. The pedal dance puts all of the suspension settings in sport mode, how is that reduced damper mode better than R mode with the long press?

11. PedalFaster

PedalFaster Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Car(s):
    Whatever people will let me drive
    I'm not claiming it's better -- I didn't back-to-back the two modes. Having said that, per the post on the previous page a long press leaves some "assists" active. I've personally yet to encounter an electronic assist that didn't slow down a competent driver, so the question becomes "does the firmer damping mode in +R help more than the assists hurt?"

+R obviously can't be that bad, considering that most of the people on the forum, including two newly crowned national champions, run it.

12. Florence_NC

Florence_NC Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Type R
    Sorry, I didn't intend to imply I thought you were making that claim. Really just more thinking out loud.

I think this is one area where Honda missed the target a bit on this car. We should have the ability to turn on/off or adjust ANY setting, whether it be damping, steering, throttle, VSA, whatever. And we should be able to do it independently of everything else. Having presets is fine, but there should be way to override or bypass the presets and get everything exactly the way the driver wants/needs it. This is a track car, after all.

13. David Price

David Price Member

First Name:
    David
    Car(s):
    2019 CTR
    The +R mode with Karcepts about half stiff and VSA fully off really works well under a variety of conditions. I like the stiffer steering. Only problems I had were during my first event before learning about the critical issue of tire pressure when the temps were below 40F and learning about throttle correction of oversteer. With 265's square 31/34 psi F/R pressure and throttle application to control oversteer the car is amazing. Just be like Mike!