Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
upload_2019-7-20_12-25-8.png

upload_2019-7-20_12-26-4.png

Hairlines can be seen on bothside for me now.....
Those look like more than hairlines. They look like full cracks through the entire web of material from one hole to the next. The cracks started on the sides with the heim joints, and have propagated almost all the way across the web, nearly to the other side.

The fact they are starting on the side with the joints suggests that the failure mode is a combination of mostly the translational shear, but also compounded by the torsional load caused by the joint being on one side. In other words, the joint being on the side is both simultaneously bending and twisting the arm.

Is this a common issue with these bars on all cars, or something specific to the Type R setup?
Sponsored

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
Those look like more than hairlines. They look like full cracks through the entire web of material from one hole to the next. The cracks started on the sides with the heim joints, and have propagated almost all the way across the web, nearly to the other side.

The fact they are starting on the side with the joints suggests that the failure mode is a combination of mostly the translational shear, but also compounded by the torsional load caused by the joint being on one side. In other words, the joint being on the side is both simultaneously bending and twisting the arm.

Is this a common issue with these bars on all cars, or something specific to the Type R setup?
The Si suffers from the same issue as well with this particular bar.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I IMed Karwan and he said the new design are probably not gonna be ready for another 4 weeks. I'll probably run Peru Tour with this bar and try to put something else on. Not sure what other options are there that gets to similar stiffness.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/fk8-civic-type-r-sway-bar-guide.31290/

Based on that list I think the only one I'd try is the Eibach 25mm. Karcepts is 25.4mm x 2.4mm wall, probably won't be that different to any other 25mm sizing unless somehow the arm length is very different. Though Karcepts will be stiffer also from the hard bushing vs the others(and a straight tube).

None would offer the ability for the bar to get a huge range though.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how heavy is it? that looks sweet though....

Also I just ordered an Eibach 25mm RSB, gonna run that in the mean time before Karcepts gets fixed...

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ran the Peru Champ Tour this last weekend on the 25mm Eibach RSB, with stock end links. Set the bar at full stiff and not having any comparable data to tell if the car would be more or less pushy on the stiff Karcepts I can't say if the car behaves any differently on this surface. It seems neutral at speed and slightly pushy at low speed. Oscoda in a couple of weeks will probably be a better indication on how the car feel changes.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got a message from Brian that it sounds like the new arms for the Karcepts bar should be ready this week....Hopefully I can throw it back on the car before the weekend at Oscoda...

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
I got a message from Brian that it sounds like the new arms for the Karcepts bar should be ready this week....Hopefully I can throw it back on the car before the weekend at Oscoda...
Awesome! He just sent me new replacements for the "old" style haha

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
per brian, all who purchased the rsb direct from karcepts will be receiving replacement arms no charge! thank you brian!

stand up guy. saw the issues we were having(some of us) fixed it and free of charge! Part of me wonders whats causing it? Small bar width wise.. maybe also heavier than the other bars he has cars for?

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
stand up guy. saw the issues we were having(some of us) fixed it and free of charge! Part of me wonders whats causing it? Small bar width wise.. maybe also heavier than the other bars he has cars for?
i'll ask. i am certain brian has an idea and ran structural analysis models to ensure the new arms do not fail.
i recall using a similar program (ansys) in my college years during my senior project (mini-baja). good times :D
Sponsored