CVT with Full Bolt Ons and Turbo Upgrade

Ace2765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
If your this far into a build going with a manual may have been the better option?
Sponsored

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your this far into a build going with a manual may have been the better option?
I needed a comfortable daily. I live in MD and commute into DC and VA often. Lots of stop and go traffic. 25-35 miles one way but it often takes 1.5-2.5hrs depending on traffic so I didn't want a manual.

After being a bit bored with its performance, I went down the rabbit hole to add some performance and ended up going all in.

AmaiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I don't have the balls to do what you have, but I respect it! Do you have videos?

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You've done what I plan to do. I got a 2020 EX hatch because dailying a manual is a pain. Sure, it's going to be a pricey build and I won't get a return on it in the future, but I'm going to be doing it piece by piece to improve the joy of my daily.

Did you find the RMM really that useful in a CVT?

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have the balls to do what you have, but I respect it! Do you have videos?
I have a few clips here and there that I need to go ahead and upload but this was from my 1/4 mile run where I did a 13.34 @107.88

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You've done what I plan to do. I got a 2020 EX hatch because dailying a manual is a pain. Sure, it's going to be a pricey build and I won't get a return on it in the future, but I'm going to be doing it piece by piece to improve the joy of my daily.

Did you find the RMM really that useful in a CVT?
Yup. 27won RMM eliminated my wheel hop and feels like I'm putting the power down more.

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
With all of these power mods, how would you say the comfort is? Like stock, my sport hatch is probably a 8/10 regarding noise, comfort, etc. I've heard the RMM impacts comfort quite a bit, the exhaust is obviously louder, and in general power almost always comes at the cost of comfort. But I'm going to be driving around with my sons in the car sometimes (7 and 5 years old) and I don't want it to be too loud or uncomfortable for them.

CivicMan973

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport.
Country flag
So, I'm just curious I live in Carlisle like 4 miles from Innovative Motorworks. I have a CVT 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport, my engine modifications are just 27 Won Cold Air Intake, 27 Won Turbo Back Exhaust, and Ktuner V1.2. I'm scared that if i go get a custom tune to flush out the most HP out of the car i will increase the TQ to high for the Transmission to handle. Though it seems from reading your post you have not had problems with TQ in your setup. I'm very new too any tuning and car modification, I would like to get my car to around 260 Hp 260 TQ. Anyone on this post have any idea if i will need further modifications to get those numbers or could i just achieve those numbers with the modifications I already have and a custom tune?

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With all of these power mods, how would you say the comfort is? Like stock, my sport hatch is probably a 8/10 regarding noise, comfort, etc. I've heard the RMM impacts comfort quite a bit, the exhaust is obviously louder, and in general power almost always comes at the cost of comfort. But I'm going to be driving around with my sons in the car sometimes (7 and 5 years old) and I don't want it to be too loud or uncomfortable for them.
RMM isnt too bad. I mean you get some rattles but if its that bad you can always get some foam tape to stop the interior rattles.

As for the vibrations that is something that is hard to say. I am used to it but some people are more sensitive to it than others.

I guess to put it into perspective. Would I want my Uber or Lyft driver to have a car like mine? Probably not. If you do a lot of short distance driving and in the city you will notice the vibrations more. At load on highways it's not as noticeable.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I'm just curious I live in Carlisle like 4 miles from Innovative Motorworks. I have a CVT 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport, my engine modifications are just 27 Won Cold Air Intake, 27 Won Turbo Back Exhaust, and Ktuner V1.2. I'm scared that if i go get a custom tune to flush out the most HP out of the car i will increase the TQ to high for the Transmission to handle. Though it seems from reading your post you have not had problems with TQ in your setup. I'm very new too any tuning and car modification, I would like to get my car to around 260 Hp 260 TQ. Anyone on this post have any idea if i will need further modifications to get those numbers or could i just achieve those numbers with the modifications I already have and a custom tune?
Hit up @D-RobIMW and ask him for a more conservative tune if you want to take an even more conservative approach. He already takes a pretty safe approach to ensure the trans and motor are within its limits. He developed the TSP CVT OTS tunes that hundreds of others run.

When he tuned mine he limited the torque quite a bit. The same setup on a Si would have a good 60wtq more than mine.

With your current setup you wont be 260/260. At most 200/190.

You have a few restrictions.

1). Stock downpipe
2). Stock fmic
3). Stock front pipe
4). No Flex Fuel

A personal friend of mine who has a fk7 sport cvt which I watched him get tuned had full bolt ons and got about 240/240. You can check out @drobimw on IG or innovative Motorworks on FB to see alot of the cars that were tuned, power figures and mods involved to get a rough estimate of what you can expect.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hit up @D-RobIMW and ask him for a more conservative tune if you want to take an even more conservative approach. He already takes a pretty safe approach to ensure the trans and motor are within its limits. He developed the TSP CVT OTS tunes that hundreds of others run.

When he tuned mine he limited the torque quite a bit. The same setup on a Si would have a good 60wtq more than mine.

With your current setup you wont be 260/260. At most 200/190.

You have a few restrictions.

1). Stock downpipe
2). Stock fmic
3). Stock front pipe
4). No Flex Fuel

A personal friend of mine who has a fk7 sport cvt which I watched him get tuned had full bolt ons and got about 240/240. You can check out @drobimw on IG or innovative Motorworks on FB to see alot of the cars that were tuned, power figures and mods involved to get a rough estimate of what you can expect.
To piggyback what @xjoshuax89 is saying, I'm a little on the other spectrum of CVT tuning. I'm using a stock Si turbo on my CVT setup but I wanted an ultra, as aggressive as possible, lowend torque tune. Because I don't have an aftermarket turbo, I don't have the topend of a 27Won, PRL Big turbo or other turbo setup. So I want to be able to get off the line (from idle) as quick as possible to get an edge off of most people (Or just fun in everyday driving). I can get away with more than most people because I have really small lightweight wheels and an even smaller diameter tire setup than the recommended stock setup. This enables what torque is being transmitted to be even more exaggerated on the lowend, with even less resistance/stress than a person would have on a stock setup (or other larger aftermarket wheel setup).

The car has been great fun and trouble free with zero issues. I don't go around recommending anything to anyone. If they are not comfortable with doing these things, by no means do it. I'm enjoying the hell out of it though. Just sharing! ;)

As for mods, I just have a homemade Myxal intake, PRL downpipe, aftermarket intercooler with a custom tune. Oh..and an Si turbo (used $350) and turbo inlet ($100). That's it! I don't count my wheels because..most people don't but I know better. They help a LOT. With those minimum modifications, I ran the time in my signature. All day, everyday.

CivicMan973

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks guys that was a lot of good insight. Ya from when I was installing the exhaust I believe I installed the 27 Won Down pipe and Front pipe with the other exhaust system. I ordered the whole set because it saved like 200 dollars. Though it seems like a aftermarket Intercooler would be helpful too. Again thanks a lot and for pointing me in the right directions. :)

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thanks guys that was a lot of good insight. Ya from when I was installing the exhaust I believe I installed the 27 Won Down pipe and Front pipe with the other exhaust system. I ordered the whole set because it saved like 200 dollars. Though it seems like a aftermarket Intercooler would be helpful too. Again thanks a lot and for pointing me in the right directions. :)
Have you written up a review for that 27Won system? I am trying to get as much feedback as possible before I decide to pull the trigger for my hatch :D

CivicMan973

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you written up a review for that 27Won system? I am trying to get as much feedback as possible before I decide to pull the trigger for my hatch :D
System is incredible quality. Sounds throaty has pops and crackles. Absolutely no drone with any speeds. This is the ultimate exhaust for the hatchback sport. Of course all this is my opinion the one downside is of course the money it costs. 1860$ is steep but in my opinion definitely worth the price.

yaom1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 CVT
Country flag
what are the options if you aren't local to D-RobIMW
Sponsored