First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It all comes down to how the power is applied. The cvt wont have the shear amount of torque that a manual will have especially down low but it has a pretty nice linear power curve. If you look at my custom tune on the dyno it's a nice and smooth curve. So the car continues to pull all the way through.

One thing that the cvt has is the fact that due to no "gears" you dont lose boost per "shift".

For a 300whp or less setup, i honestly think the CVT is better. If you aim for 350+ then go with the 6mt.
Sponsored

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man this seems legit makes me wanna trade in my 2.0 for a 1.5 Hatch

Honestly the amount of money put in and time along with the negative equity you would have would not make much financial sense unless you dont mind spending extra $$$. But for those with the 1.5t its certainly viable.

In my honest opinion if I had a chance to redo I probably would not have gone down this road but based on my situation I think I made the best of it and I am satisfied with the results.

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Honestly the amount of money put in and time along with the negative equity you would have would not make much financial sense unless you dont mind spending extra $$$. But for those with the 1.5t its certainly viable.

In my honest opinion if I had a chance to redo I probably would not have gone down this road but based on my situation I think I made the best of it and I am satisfied with the results.
How much did all those mods cost? I have a 1.5 touring I have ktuner and prl cai

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much did all those mods cost? I have a 1.5 touring I have ktuner and prl cai
Rough prices.

1600 for the turbo
400 for cai
500 for flex fuel kit
180 for rmm
700 for dp and fp
800 for fmic
600 for exhaust
600 for tune
699 for ktuner v2

On top of the other mods I've done it really adds up.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Rough prices.

1600 for the turbo
400 for cai
500 for flex fuel kit
180 for rmm
700 for dp and fp
800 for fmic
600 for exhaust
600 for tune

I think you left out the cost of the KTuner itself. :cool:

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Rough prices.

1600 for the turbo
400 for cai
500 for flex fuel kit
180 for rmm
700 for dp and fp
800 for fmic
600 for exhaust
600 for tune
699 for ktuner v2

Damn almost 7-8k ..aren't scared of damaging the tranny when you floor it from a stop tho? Jow have been holding up

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Damn almost 7-8k ..aren't scared of damaging the tranny when you floor it from a stop tho? Jow have been holding up
The base tunes and the OP's tune are designed to have reduced torque below 3500-4000 rpm to protect the CVT. There is also boost by gear which allows you to reduce boost on takeoff which can reduce stress on the transmission.

Fact is, these CVT'S are more robust than the flimsy rubber band unit you seem to think they are.

Sure there have been a few cases of damaged CVT'S. But just like the blown engines, it is the exception, not the rule. Feel free to check the CivicX tuning reliability survey for more info.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your concern of damaging the transmission is legit. Don't do any power modifications. You should stay stock and remove any worries or concerns.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Future thread title by OP......

"What is wrong with my CVT?"

:rolleyes:
Lol I've been tuned for over 30k miles. 11k miles on custom tune. With all my mods and upgrades I know what I am getting into and I dont ask stupid questions like that.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly it's not the trans I'm really worried about at my current power levels. My tq is not much higher than OTS tunes. Much of my power is made up in the mid and top range.

My bigger concern is the rods and pistons and obviously the head studs as time goes on.

If my car survives 1 more year the following year I'll be doing new rods pistons valve springs gaskets and head studs as I try to eek out a bit more power.

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

I'm curious, what about this do you regret or wish you hadn't done? I'm considering doing a full 27Won upgrade myself for my '19 hatchback sport and am looking for feedback on all the different components.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm curious, what about this do you regret or wish you hadn't done? I'm considering doing a full 27Won upgrade myself for my '19 hatchback sport and am looking for feedback on all the different components.
For the amount of money I have invested into the car I don't think I'm getting the best use out of it.

I certainly love the way my car is and I daily drive it to work and have a blast in it but...

My Sport Touring its 28k OTD. With about 6k in power mods and another 5k in other mods for suspension wheels tires etc... it's close to 40k. Track or drag, I could spend 40k on a new car or even a used car and it would be much better than this civic.

I mean these mods have made a world of a difference versus when I was stock but if I had a chance to redo I would honestly just go with ktuner and call it a day.

Save the money and invest in a project car for track and drag days.

Theres only so much you can add to a CVT econ car imo. Since I've invested so much into this car it's hard to just step away so I just plan to keep on pushing it but if I knew how much I would be spending ahead of time and knew the limits of the car like I do now I wouldnt make the same decision.

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
For the amount of money I have invested into the car I don't think I'm getting the best use out of it.

I certainly love the way my car is and I daily drive it to work and have a blast in it but...

My Sport Touring its 28k OTD. With about 6k in power mods and another 5k in other mods for suspension wheels tires etc... it's close to 40k. Track or drag, I could spend 40k on a new car or even a used car and it would be much better than this civic.

I mean these mods have made a world of a difference versus when I was stock but if I had a chance to redo I would honestly just go with ktuner and call it a day.

Save the money and invest in a project car for track and drag days.

Theres only so much you can add to a CVT econ car imo. Since I've invested so much into this car it's hard to just step away so I just plan to keep on pushing it but if I knew how much I would be spending ahead of time and knew the limits of the car like I do now I wouldnt make the same decision.
That makes total sense. I got my Sport Hatch for $21.5 OTD, and have about 4k in mods planned for it. I don't have the time, space, or money to consider another vehicle (I also have a '18 Triumph Tiger 1200 XCa that I'm working on), so getting as much fun and power out of this car is a good fit for me.

Thanks for your insight and knowledge you've shared!

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting insight! I'm blown away by the performance of this car per mod. Totally understand where Josh is coming from.
Sponsored