CVT Transmisson

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Has anyone had their CVT feel like it's at the absolute tallest of ratios it can be at and upon light acceleration won't change ratio? I was coming off an off ramp maybe going 35 and when I was merging onto the next road it was like having a stick that you forgot to take out of 6th and tried to accelerate.
This happens to me as well. Not often; but I have definitely noticed it. I'd be surprised if there was not a way to stab, goose, or blip the accelerator pedal to change the system's response. But I haven't found it yet.
Sponsored

HandyAndy1013

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L 1.5T, 2011 Honda Pilot Touring, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 1999 F-150 4x4
Country flag
2017 with 14k miles. it took a hit in the left front but drove great for 4k miles....

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT Transmisson CVTBelt

HandyAndy1013

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L 1.5T, 2011 Honda Pilot Touring, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 1999 F-150 4x4
Country flag
2017 with 14k miles. it took a hit in the left front but drove great for 4k miles....

CVTBelt.jpg
Could have been caused by the collision, but happened 4k miles later with no symptoms. I love the way the cvt puts the power down, hopefully this is a one time defect.

dfc888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX (w/ Honda Sensing)
Country flag
Could have been caused by the collision, but happened 4k miles later with no symptoms. I love the way the cvt puts the power down, hopefully this is a one time defect.
Why don't you bring your car to the dealer and have them determine whether it was caused by the collision? If it was truly a defect, you can have it R&R under warranty.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why don't you bring your car to the dealer and have them determine whether it was caused by the collision? If it was truly a defect, you can have it R&R under warranty.
Check handyandy1013’s first post in his CVT failure thread.
The car has a salvage title and has no warranty.
Sad to say he’s on his own with this issue.
Spoken with compassion from someone who bought a branded ownership vehicle and experienced similar problems himself.
This kind of after-the-incident parts failure is why insurance companies write off vehicles for seemingly no reason.
It’s a chance you take when you repair a vehicle written off by an insurance company.

Last edited:

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Ive always had the fear of CVT transmissions. Ive known a few people with problems on their CVTs. Mainly with nissans though but that was enough for me to stick with a 6sp. I am curious the longevity of a honda cvt just because i tend to keep my cars forever and i am not sure if i am down to drive manual on a daily in los angeles for another decade
I had a lancer with 78k when I got in an accident and had 0 issues. On the regular people had 150k before trading in and had zero issues. A well built cvt will get 200k easy

First Name
SaĂŻd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring White Pearl
Country flag
Recently bought a civic sedan 2019 sport cvt transmission

Currently at 2,000 miles. Wanted to see how your car holding up so far with cvt transmission
If it wasnt that reliable, Honda would put a wear indicator for it (such as the one for the oil) and it would tell owners to take it for a transmission change every 7000 miles or every 1 year, whichever comes first

wokeupgrumpy

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 4DR, 2017 Subaru Forester, 2007 Malibu LT, 1998 S10 Blazer LT
Country flag
Just shy of 56K on my 2016 LX. That's mostly highway. Just changed the fluid but have had no issue so far and I am not easy on my cars. I do stay on top of maintenance so maybe thats why I get away with driving them hard at times.
73K miles now and still no transmission issues.

Sonicthecivic

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Coupe
Country flag

Currently at 2,000 miles. Wanted to see how your car holding up so far with cvt transmission
I bought the 2019 Sport Coupe with CVT around a year ago, i got around 12k miles on it and haven’t had any problems at all. Pretty good.

zabih107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Has anyone had their CVT feel like it's at the absolute tallest of ratios it can be at and upon light acceleration won't change ratio? I was coming off an off ramp maybe going 35 and when I was merging onto the next road it was like having a stick that you forgot to take out of 6th and tried to accelerate.
I have noticed this happening to me as well here and there. to get it out of it, i blip the throttle (let go of accelerator and jam it back in) and it will snap out of it. Rpm will jump. i have ktuned as well.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I have noticed this happening to me as well here and there. to get it out of it, i blip the throttle (let go of accelerator and jam it back in) and it will snap out of it. Rpm will jump. i have ktuned as well.
I haven't encountered this yet but it isn't to say I haven't instinctively reacted to it and developed a natural reaction to this happening. I have caught myself feathering the throttle to get the car to do what I want.

One thing I never do is drive with eco mode on though.

almostdone

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
2016 ex with 2.0NA 80,000 miles on it zero issues with cvt and i do drive it pretty hard. my avg mpg shows 28.3
How’s is it holding up now? Also how many miles?

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag

CVTBelt.jpg
I do believe those funny looking plates of metal are pieces of the belt, which comprises hundreds of these pieces. The belt must be in compression at all times, otherwise the belt will just fall apart like shown. If for some reason, the pulley system goes wonky, due to some TCU glitch or software problem, and the pulleys put the belt into a condition where it's not in compression...kablooey!

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag

You need to drive and get a tune to enjoy it. I drive mine every chance I get. Not to worry, I'm at 100300 miles and since about 65k I've had the phearable 1.5r tune installed, set with aggressive vsa. I've had other tunes before that as well. 95% of the time just commuting, cruising and the CVT works very well with this tune maintaining power as needed or will fly whatever the circumstance. Just had all the fluids flushed and replaced, on schedule, everything is good . Dropped a PRL 1.5T replacement Panel Air Filter Upgrade and it's interesting, now I can clearly hear the turbo fan spin down when coming to a stop.
Sponsored