10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
The next car I get will be my daily driver for commuting so it can't be a manual unfortunately. I was reading in the press release that the auto transmission will be CVT. Never owned or even drove a car with CVT so what's it like? Seems like CVT in general has a bad reputation, at least in the past. Gimme the lowdown - what's good and bad about it ?? Thx.
Sponsored

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
The good: Fuel Economy.

The bad: Everything else.:D

Honestly though, I think a lot of work has gone into the CVTs lately. Most now come pre-programmed to have "shift" points so it feels more like a traditional automatic. One of the biggest complaints is the engine noise when it revs up and sits at an RPM that drones.

OP
OP
10thG

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Ugh. Sounds lovely :S

So it behaves and sounds like it just has a single gear and never has the gear change feel? Sounds like an electric car feel.

No performance benefits over an auto?

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Correct. It winds the engine up and you accelerate.

It may have a very marginal benefit in terms of acceleration because an automatic still "shifts" and has fixed gear ratios, but I would be surprised if the difference was more than a tenth of a second to 60.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Pros - better gas mileage, engine wear, potentially (theoretically) better performance

Cons - maintentance costs, no fun to drive

Izze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ILX
Accords of the last 2 years have had CVT. Test drove one when my wife was shopping cars. It actually felt sort of sporty. Please don't ban me for saying that :D

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pros - better gas mileage, engine wear, potentially (theoretically) better performance

Cons - maintentance costs, no fun to drive
Can you elaborate on the maintenance costs as a con? I've not heard of this before.

Last edited by a moderator:

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Can you elaborate on the maintenance costs as a con? I've not heard of this before.
Maintenance is a con compared to a traditional auto box. CVT transmissions usually require fluid flush/changes while automatic transmissions are sealed and basically maintenance free.

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV
Maintenance is a con compared to a traditional auto box. CVT transmissions usually require fluid flush/changes while automatic transmissions are sealed and basically maintenance free.
How often?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2014 civic coupe with the CVT and honestly i like the transmission. I was skeptical as well when i went to test drive, but, i had a 2013 civic sedan with the 5 speed auto and in comparison the CVT feels stronger, the car pulls harder, feels alot faster (peppier). It does drone a bit when you get on the gas hard because it puts you in the peak torque rev range while you accelerate, but then "shifts" down when you let up a bit. Honestly, day to day i don't hear/feel anything different from the old 5 speed except that it shifts are smooth as butter. Honda definitely did their CVT the right way. I would absolutely have no issues owning another with a CVT.

Though i've heard that the CVTs that nissan makes are still terrible. Loud, droning and slow to react.

OP
OP
10thG

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
I have a 2014 civic coupe with the CVT and honestly i like the transmission. I was skeptical as well when i went to test drive, but, i had a 2013 civic sedan with the 5 speed auto and in comparison the CVT feels stronger, the car pulls harder, feels alot faster (peppier). It does drone a bit when you get on the gas hard because it puts you in the peak torque rev range while you accelerate, but then "shifts" down when you let up a bit. Honestly, day to day i don't hear/feel anything different from the old 5 speed except that it shifts are smooth as butter. Honda definitely did their CVT the right way. I would absolutely have no issues owning another with a CVT.

Though i've heard that the CVTs that nissan makes are still terrible. Loud, droning and slow to react.
Well that's somewhat of a relief!! I was almost thinking I might have to consider another car if CVT was that horrible.

Thanks for your feedback it's great to hear. Sounds like there's not much downsides then on the Honda CVT transmission. Do you know if you have to maintain yours with fluid changes?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As far as i know the CVT uses transmission fluid like a normal automatic. However, i haven't yet hit the point in needing its first service (its way under miles for how long i've had it). But i would assume it uses a standard transmission fluid, but i'm not a mechanic either, i just know how it feels to drive.

Glad my input could help. I had the same reservations about the CVT when i traded in my 13 sedan for my 14 coupe. But honestly, the transmission definitely feels and drives better than the old 5 speed ever did and makes the car alot more fun in my opinion (sport mode is mostly useless it just throws you into the peak rev range so it sucks down gas, but it definitely helps with passing and having some occasional fun on the back roads)

Miguel

Threads
Reaction score
You said it pulls harder, is that just a butt dyno feeling from how CVT transmissions behave, or does this transmission actually outperform the old 5 speed auto?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's hard to say if it's the CVT that outperforms the old 5 speed. I know the initial launch isn't as hard as the old auto was, but i believe when they updated it, honda did say that the CVT increased the performance of the car slightly. The fact that you don't lose power between shifts and the car stays in the optimal rev range the entire time its accelerating it's hard to believe that it doesn't outperform the old 5 speed. The new exhaust also added 3 more horsepower and like 1 torque which i doubt is what makes the difference in feel. The way the CVT operates lends me to believe that yes, it outperforms the old auto. You might not have as hard of an initial launch, but take away shift time power loss and the fact it jumps into the peak torque range faster and stays there, it just pulls and pulls hard until you let up off the gas. Personally, i'd like to see a drag race between a 13 and a 14 to see which is faster, and by how much.

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
Curious, does CVT have any manual shifting mechanism like steering wheel paddles or shifter action that you can manually 'shift' with?

Or does that not even make sense since CVT technically doesn't have gear changes and run through gears like a standard auto/manual?
Sponsored