CVT surging up and down

PRak_CivX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
A lot of dealers won't do a reset based on information posted on a forum. The problem is compounded by the fact that this is a brand new design, and most technicians haven't had a chance to work on them and build up some experience-based expertise. And to top it off, there doesn't seem to be much information offered by the manufacturer, again probably due in part to the fact that it is a new design with very little history.

It looks like you have a service department that is willing to listen and work with you. Good find!
However, i did not request a battery reset, the tech received those instructions from the honda engineers on what they called the "honda tech line".
Sponsored

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
However, i did not request a battery reset, the tech received those instructions from the honda engineers on what they called the "honda tech line".
Nice. Hopefully the tech line in Canada will have the same information. Information seems to get here at a slower pace.

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Nice. Hopefully the tech line in Canada will have the same information. Information seems to get here at a slower pace.
Yes, Honda Canada does have the same recommendation for dealers and their mechanics on the battery cable reset procedure to correct surging at highway speeds.

If you look earlier in this thread you can see my (positive) experience with Kingsway Honda in Vancouver. They had my Touring model for most of day. They were "Able to confirm complaint. Able to to feel vehicle surging when trying to hold a steady speed on the highway." They contacted Honda Canada about the issue and were told to "perform a battery cable reset and recheck." They did this and reported "no surging after reset." The quotes are from their invoice, printout -- total charge was zero as the work was performed under warranty.

So, they did the battery January 12th and the surging problem has not reappeared. Not yet anyway. Things are running smooth as silk.

They also said, in writing on the "invoice," that Honda Canada was working on a fix for the infotainment unit glitches. They suggested I check back with them in a few weeks. I'll do that soon and report back here.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, Honda Canada does have the same recommendation for dealers and their mechanics on the battery cable reset procedure to correct surging at highway speeds.

If you look earlier in this thread you can see my (positive) experience with Kingsway Honda in Vancouver. They had my Touring model for most of day. They were "Able to confirm complaint. Able to to feel vehicle surging when trying to hold a steady speed on the highway." They contacted Honda Canada about the issue and were told to "perform a battery cable reset and recheck." They did this and reported "no surging after reset." The quotes are from their invoice, printout -- total charge was zero as the work was performed under warranty.

So, they did the battery January 12th and the surging problem has not reappeared. Not yet anyway. Things are running smooth as silk.

They also said, in writing on the "invoice," that Honda Canada was working on a fix for the infotainment unit glitches. They suggested I check back with them in a few weeks. I'll do that soon and report back here.
Thanks, I just re-read your earlier post. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I'll make sure to let them know that the 'reset' solution comes from Honda Canada. They usually don't take information from forums seriously (although for me, the information we share here is very valuable).

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T '13 Accord Sport '08 Scion xD '94 Altima
They should have the software update on hand by now for the Audio fix for Touring models. My local dealer had it and performed the update on 01/11/16.

As for the surging, the battery reset it is literally just detaching the positive lead from the battery terminal for about 10-15 minutes and then you will need to drive it around for the systems to all recalibrate. Don't worry about the lights that come on, they go off after driving for a very short distance.
Thanks ... this cleared my surging issue right up! 2,600 miles on my EX-T and that surging was starting to drive me nuts. All my settings came back without any work from me. The only thing I noticed was my trip A mpg started over, even though the trip A miles didn't ... hmmm.

Talked to service at my dealer last Saturday, and of course he knew nothing of ANY issues with the new Civic, acted like he didn't see a need to do the reset ... so I did it myself.

My salesman asked a good Q though - is this happening with both engines or just the 1.5T? Or maybe it's a CVT thing?

Glad I found this board!

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP, Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Thanks ... this cleared my surging issue right up! 2,600 miles on my EX-T and that surging was starting to drive me nuts. All my settings came back without any work from me. The only thing I noticed was my trip A mpg started over, even though the trip A miles didn't ... hmmm.

Talked to service at my dealer last Saturday, and of course he knew nothing of ANY issues with the new Civic, acted like he didn't see a need to do the reset ... so I did it myself.

My salesman asked a good Q though - is this happening with both engines or just the 1.5T? Or maybe it's a CVT thing?

Glad I found this board!

Did the reset completely resolve your surging issue? I only have 400 kms on my Touring, and it's surging quite noticeably. It feels like someone who doesn't know how to maintain speed and is on and off the throttle. This happens to me when at constant throttle between 80-90km/h. Annoying to say the least!!

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T '13 Accord Sport '08 Scion xD '94 Altima
Did the reset completely resolve your surging issue? I only have 400 kms on my Touring, and it's surging quite noticeably. It feels like someone who doesn't know how to maintain speed and is on and off the throttle. This happens to me when at constant throttle between 80-90km/h. Annoying to say the least!!
It sure did! Over 300 miles since the reset and it's smooooth now. Hope it works out for you!

Tack13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Honda just finalized some discussions they have been having with me over this surging issue. Their final response was somewhere along the lines of "it's just an annoyance type problem, if at a later time we have a solution, we will let you know." I would take this into consideration before buying any Honda product. They definitely do not stand behind their products like I would have expected. I would say this is the last Honda product I will ever purchase. That's too bad as I used to sell them a lot of cars through word of mouth. Now I will be sharing the cars issue through drives with people. I'll let the passengers be the judge.

twelver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic
It sure did! Over 300 miles since the reset and it's smooooth now. Hope it works out for you!
I pulled the cable off this weekend and can confirm no surging and mpg is better now as well. I spend 40 miles on the highway every day and I used to get 36-37mpg now I am at 39-40.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Their final response was somewhere along the lines of "it's just an annoyance type problem, if at a later time we have a solution, we will let you know." … They definitely do not stand behind their products like I would have expected.
If they don't now have a fix available from the groups who need to develop, test, certify, etc, one, what more would you expect they do immediately?

Tack13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Dick W.,
They wouldn't acknowledge they were working on a fix. The have no ETA and in the mean time, I drive 2000-3000 miles per month with a large majority of that on the highway. Highway driving is something you can't do with this surging. This surging is constant, makes you feel sick after a while and is extremely uncomfortable. I would expect they provide me with a car that operates properly, buy my car back or fix my car.
Thanks.

PRak_CivX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
Dick W.,
They wouldn't acknowledge they were working on a fix. The have no ETA and in the mean time, I drive 2000-3000 miles per month with a large majority of that on the highway. Highway driving is something you can't do with this surging. This surging is constant, makes you feel sick after a while and is extremely uncomfortable. I would expect they provide me with a car that operates properly, buy my car back or fix my car.
Thanks.
And they refused to do a battery cable reset? Interesting why there is so much inconsistency between dealers. They gave me something in writing that they are working on a permanent fix after the reset (which still seems to have done the trick for me... smooth ride, no surging, better gas mileage).

Tack13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
PRak, I was working with Honda corporate. They didn't provide that as a solution or anything in writing. They are a very disappointing group to deal with. I think Trump would say something like "they are really bad people, they have treated me very unfairly and I have to stand up for my rights." :)

PRak_CivX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
PRak, I was working with Honda corporate. They didn't provide that as a solution or anything in writing. They are a very disappointing group to deal with. I think Trump would say something like "they are really bad people, they have treated me very unfairly and I have to stand up for my rights." :)
Wow. So sorry to hear that.
Sponsored