1.5T CVT reliability

vtec

First Name
John Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T
Did anyone have issues with CVT on non-tuned 1.5T Civic?
One thing that worries me is whether CVT is going to last 10+ years if it's driven hard, like a good MT would do?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The CVT has proven to be quite good and reliable in these cars. I've run my car stock and tuned with both Hondata and Ktuner and it's been a champ.:thumbsup:

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I have been running ktuner for 16k miles now and it's still going strong!

K04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback CVT
Country flag
14K miles going strong on 21 map with boost by gear and quick adjustments turned on

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very few reports of failed cvts on stock power.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Civic X with CVT is available since four years. As far as I know the CVT is holding up pretty good.

I think the CVTs built by Honda is way better than the infamous CVTs which are built by Jatco, which are used by Nissan, Suzuki and Renault. These cars have a lot of problems with their CVTs. Then also the repair costs are also tremendously high.

I'm curious how much it costs on a civic to replace the belt or replace the whole CVT?

Very few reports of failed cvts on stock power.
I wonder if those were mostly drivers who launched their cars aggressively, or did not wait for the engine and fluids to warm up, or forgot to change the CVT fluid...

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I wonder if those were mostly drivers who launched their cars aggressively, or did not wait for the engine and fluids to warm up, or forgot to change the CVT fluid...
It is because they pushed the boundaries of the CVT to the limit and a part of it is neglecting to change CVT fluid every 3 years. The 1.5 engine does not need to be warmed up for a very long time due since it is a DI engine. 30 seconds to a minute is enough and just drive it slowly till you hit the normal operating temps.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@zspeed
CVT fluid change ever three years sounds great. My inspection plan of the owners manual and also the head unit is telling me to have to CVT fluid change every two years or every 25,000 miles, whatever comes first.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
@zspeed
CVT fluid change ever three years sounds great. My inspection plan of the owners manual and also the head unit is telling me to have to CVT fluid change every two years or every 25,000 miles, whatever comes first.
Yep, either 3 years or before 35000 miles. I did change mine at 40000 though.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I’m 24k miles on my CVT and it’s been good. I drive a lot and drive hard. I’ve only noticed issues after trying to accelerate hard and I’ve been driving over 90 minutes. If the fluid isn’t in good shape it while whine and fuss. I changed my fluid at 21k miles and haven’t heard a peep since. I’m considering installing a CVT fluid cooler to keep temps down, but that’s me being extra.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@zspeed
If you ride it hard or live in hot climates it good to change it more often. I live in the Southern California desert and my fluid was cooked at 20k miles.

Reactions: Myx

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
my car has done 15k km but it has been more than 3.5 years, thinking to change now as my car has been tuned from last 1.5 years. Btw its my 2nd car hardly drive

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you ride it hard or live in hot climates it good to change it more often. I live in the Southern California desert and my fluid was cooked at 20k miles.
What did your CVT fluid look like as compared to fresh CVT fluid?

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What did your CVT fluid look like as compared to fresh CVT fluid?
It was pretty dark and smelled awful. Fresh fluid smells bad too, but this was even worse lol.

Just as some background I drove 100 miles a day for work through LA and Orange County in constant stop/go traffic. Temps near me climb well above 100 degrees in the summer, so the stress I was putting on my CVT was pretty extreme. Even then it only had issue after driving for nearly 2 hours in heavy traffic and high temps. I can’t imagine most people would burn through fluid quite like I did. Since I changed it and drive less due to working from home, I haven’t experienced the slightest bit of CVT hiccups. She’s been running like a champ for the last 4K miles.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
If CVTs are driven correctly, mindful of their weaknesses, they will last. Never apply the brakes and throttle at the same time. Never shift from reverse to drive or vice versa while the car is still in motion. Use L or S gear when going up a steep incline to avoid hitting the CVT with max torque against the resistance of the incline.

Basically any situation that could cause the CVT belt to slip. Once it starts slipping, the damage is done and it will only get worse over time. But if you avoid conditions that can cause belt slip, the CVT should last a long time.
Sponsored