CVT Reliability

Frixos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI Cooper R56, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Hey guys,

I am looking at the 16 Civic, and one of the things that makes me hesitate is the CVT. This has nothing to do with how it feels. Rather, how reliable is it? Will it last 200000+ miles with good maintenance?
I know Honda introduced a new CVT in their cars a few years ago? 2013, 14? How have they done?
Sponsored

moonfresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
I don't know about Honda CVT, but the CVT on my 2005 Prius is bulletproof--353k with no problems, just new fluids every 100k. I think CVT offers better reliability because I read once that it has fewer parts, if I remember correctly. I plan to drive my Civic to the ground when I get it, so I am glad it has a CVT. My 2 cents.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is no issue with CVT reliability. It still amazes me at the amount of people that have apparently never heard of the Toyota Prius or Honda Insight, just to name a couple. Are there gonna be a few with issues? Of course. But you will get that with every single engine and tranny combo. I have yet to see ANY transmission that doesn't have atleast a few people saying they are having issues, or saying stay away for some other reason. You know what people, just buy what makes you happy, because I'm pretty sure you'll be the one making the payments, not the nay-sayers.

And I'd also like to point out... IT'S A FREAKING HONDA!
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT Reliability HolyNecroPost_759032

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was actually thinking today that the CVT is better than having a traditional auto 6 speed transmission. CVT is always in the sweet spot for torque, seems to me to be similar to an electric cars acceleration. Obviously not as efficient but similar. I just turned 10K miles and my EXT has been rock solid.

jemanner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota 4Runner, 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid
It appears there are some very distinct different variants of CVT's. Toyota uses a non-belt arrangement with two electric motors. It appears to be a very solid design. However, cannot find out much regarding the Honda Civic. I suspect they are the belt/pulley design(historically not so reliable). If anybody knows the specifics of the Civic M-CVT and/or LL-CVT transmissions, would sure appreciate it prior to purchase, which could occur within the next week! (We just purchased an Accord Hybrid, with essentially NO transmission. It's a granddaughter looking at the Civic.)

Last edited:

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I was actually thinking today that the CVT is better than having a traditional auto 6 speed transmission. CVT is always in the sweet spot for torque, seems to me to be similar to an electric cars acceleration. Obviously not as efficient but similar. I just turned 10K miles and my EXT has been rock solid.
That's why they've got 10 speed autos coming in soon

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
That's why they've got 10 speed autos coming in soon
Are you kidding ? There will never be 10 speed traditional automatics in any production model. Cost, weight, size, complexity, reliability - all would be prohibitive. If I'm wrong, post the reference.

chiefbrody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Are you kidding ? There will never be 10 speed traditional automatics in any production model. Cost, weight, size, complexity, reliability - all would be prohibitive. If I'm wrong, post the reference.
2018 Accord has a 10 speed auto transmission

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Ouch on that burn :flame:

On a separate note. 26k on my CVT. Running a stage 2 tune since before my first oil change.

jemanner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota 4Runner, 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid
I was surprised to learn there is more parasitic loss in a belt-type CVT than say a dual-clutch tranny. Evidently there is some slight slippage of the belt on the pulleys. Stands to reason, as there is a recommended periodic fluid change. Also, I believe the CVT incorporates a torque converter, whereas a DCT (DSG in VW/Audi land) does not.

largelybored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
I just had a crazy idea...so instead of a CVT with unlimited ratios, how about a CVT with steps on the cone, so instead of unlimited, you have maybe 15-20 steps on the cone to give you that many ratios, but since you're applying the power while on a step, your contact patch is much larger than the belt edge against the cone...you'd have the benefits of the simplicity of a CVT, but it might be able to handle more power. You'd have to still experience a shift as you went from step to step, but you could spend the majority of your time against the flat of a step in contact with the flat of the belt, instead of the edge. You may even be able to do it without applying less power during the shift.

Someone get me a patent application.....and the $500k in application and research fees...

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah well, I could have missed it ( wouldn't be the 1st time ), BUT I didn't see anything about a 10 speed automatic. Why don't you just post the reference as asked ?
Transmission specs start at 2:36
Sponsored