CVT reliability in a long term

1. Prozento

Prozento Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    Civic FD
    Hello, dear CivicX community.
    After a while considering what transmission to take I went to CVT. I will explain my decision later at this post but for now, I want to ask a question some of the old civic x owners on this forum, someone who bought it in 2016 when it only came out - how is the CVT transmission doing and how much it feels it will last for more? If I considering having this car for at least 7 years, was it a good choice? (I still can cancel the deal).
    Is there anything you can advise me to upgrade in my new car to make the CVT last longer? (except the regular and good maintenance)

Thank you very much for the answers
    Prozento

P.S. (just explain why I took CVT from the beginning)
    It was really hard to decide.
    The first step was the dealer. In my country, the CVT sport plus model comes with sunroof, adaptive damper system, 11 speakers, smart entry and some other cool features. the 6MT comes just normal basic model (though it still good equipped).
    The second step was my daily driving. My country is one big traffic jam. Sometimes spending 2 hours in a standing jam in the morning. The other aspect I considered is the area I live - today in the mountains the 6MT sounds great but in another 1 year, I will move to a flat boring city without any twists on my daily road. So after understanding that It will be a pain every day for few hours of fun once in a month, I was almost convinced.
    The last step was the test drive. I really liked all the featured that CVT has and it not that boring as I thought. Yes, I am sure that 6MT will be more fun but hey, CVT doing not a bad job at all.
    After all this, I ordered my CVT sport plus model and now asking a question about its reliability. End of story :).

2. Dicecube

Dicecube Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic Touring
    If you come from a traditional manual transmission background, you will be disappointed in the cvt. Heck I drove a traditional automatic for a few years and that was fine but the cvt just neuters a car. But hey you get good gas mileage. Where I live in Canada, they have the highest gas prices so that's the only thing in a cvt I favour right now

branvan thanked this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Prozento

Prozento Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    Civic FD
    Hello
    Until now I had 8th civic with old 5-speed automatic transmission. I really like to drive manual on the twisty mountain road, but when it comes to normal daily driving I loose it in a first traffic jam.

4. coo1rim

coo1rim Senior Member

driver
    Car(s):
    1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
    2 hrs in standing traffic every day, that's harsh. Even I would be a little nervous about getting 6MT in that situations.

I would have recommended taking one for a test spin with 6MT and head for the traffic Jam. Some traffic Jam might look bad, but it moves along enough to just leave it in 1st gear and let the car figure out the rest. When it gets under 6km/hr, then it gets tricky, but in a lot of cases, you can give yourself enough space and keep the constant minimum speed, or if ur behind a truck, they tend to do it for you.

GoldClass thanked this.
  5. NotSerious

NotSerious Senior Member

First Name:
    No
    Car(s):
    2018CivicLXSedanCVT
    Note that CivicX is a "enthusiast" site. Many members prefer the manual transmission.

In the real world however, the vast majority of the buyers of the Civic get the CVT.
    You have already decided on the CVT. Don't let others dissuade you. The CVT has been around since the previous generation Civic and no significant number of problems have been reported.

6. CobraCommand

CobraCommand Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
    This. The forum is skews toward MT because that's what most active members drive. Nothing wrong with that but it's far from the real world picture of how many civic's were sold with the CVT. I have a lot of stop and go city driving every day and the CVT has been wonderful for me. Took a minute to get used to but once you are it becomes a non issue.

ronj and NotSerious thanked this.
  7. IDriveACivic

IDriveACivic Senior Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Touring Sedan
    Honestly, nobody knows how reliable this particular CVT will be in the long run. We simply don't have enough data yet.

To prolong its lifespan, keep up with the maintenance and good driving habits.

8. bFarish87

bFarish87 Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic EX-T
    I'm at 48k+ and no complaints so far. Still drives the exact same.

nizarz, ronj, Civics4Ever and 2 others thanked this.
  9. CivicXI

CivicXI Senior Member

Design and Engineering
    Car(s):
    Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
    Hasn't a version of this CVT been in Accord for the past bajillion years?

10. latole

latole Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual

Car(s):
    Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
    Google have some answer ;
    http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/01/are-cvt-transmissions-reliable-.html

The Verdict: Are CVT Transmissions Reliable?

At the end of the day, it becomes more of a question of are CVT transmissions more “reliably” better to drive than a question of total mechanical reliability and that all comes down to consumer preferences.

Even more importantly, CVT transmissions have a strict and delicate service maintenance schedule that customers should try to adhere to. Treating a CVT transmission like a regular automatic transmission can cause reliability issues down the road that can end up making the transmission more costly to repair than a conventional automatic. Proper maintenance goes a long way into extending a transmission’s life, whether it’s a CVT or a traditional one.

11. warsaws

warsaws Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civicx
    Is it just me or does that verdict not answer the question at all?

Mediocre Yogurt, djasonw and BarracksSi thanked this.
  12. Fathomless

Fathomless Senior Member

First Name:
    Joshua
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic SI / 2018 Honda Pilot
    My 2016 sedan was running great at 40k+ miles when I traded it in.

I had zero issues and worked great as a milehog in like 2 hours of rush each day on my commute.

13. Syntek

Syntek Senior Member

Networking Engineer
    First Name:
    Brian
    Car(s):
    2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
    CVT and have been tuned, I'm at 47,000 miles. Running fine.

Civics4Ever thanked this.
  14. CivicChina

CivicChina Senior Member

Designer
    Car(s):
    Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
    I drive 2 hours in very slow traffic everyday with my 6MT. Very slow, i drive only 38 km in 2 hours! It is not for everybody but i still prefer driving manual because i am able to use the brakes much less than with an automatic car and at least I have little bit of exercise to do while i wait....
    BTW i would not be too concerned about the reliability of the CVT if you don't stress it too much.

15. HatchorNada

HatchorNada Senior Member

Car(s):
    civic Hatch
    CVT=Constant VTEC Time