9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello all, I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport with a cvt. Here is my issue. The engine kicks in really hard if I slow down, and then get on the accelerator (not flooring it). Not sure what causes with, but it is uncomfortable and worrisome. It'll happen when ever the car "thinks" I'm coming to a stop, as it drops to idle rpms and then goes back up. Is this normal or an issue? I don't have any mods on the car and I do spirited driving occasionally (1/2 throttle to full on highway ramps).
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Not sure if this is the same deal. But I fight with the CVT daily to keep the 'shifts/adjustments/changes' smooth. The transmission does 'upshift' when going downhill. And sometimes, I find that delaying application of the throttle or applying it more slowly allows for smoother operation. I'm in Raleigh too. And it seems like we're either going uphill or downhill at any given time. Does this happen on flat level stretches of roadway? My understanding is that the computer measures speed and pressure within the transmission to determine what's best. Try eco mode and see if it makes a difference; better or worse.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if this is the same deal. But I fight with the CVT daily to keep the 'shifts/adjustments/changes' smooth. The transmission does 'upshift' when going downhill. And sometimes, I find that delaying application of the throttle or applying it more slowly allows for smoother operation. I'm in Raleigh too. And it seems like we're either going uphill or downhill at any given time. Does this happen on flat level stretches of roadway? My understanding is that the computer measures speed and pressure within the transmission to determine what's best. Try eco mode and see if it makes a difference; better or worse.
My car seems to downshifts on downhill roads and engine brakes like crazy. I tried slowly applying the gas and that does help, but I have no intentions since I drive with a slightly heavy foot. The harsh kick-in happens on downhills and flat stretches. I'll slow down, but not stop and the engine kicks in and it feels like the car is being kicked from the back or something. At this point, I'm just going to ignore the cvt since I can't really do anything about it. I will never buy another car with a cvt!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Why don't you see the dealer ?

My Civic have a MT

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I suppose checking the fluid level wouldn't hurt anything. If you go to Leith; Nick Darone is the service adviser to see.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had a '16 EXT and now have a '19 EX hatch both with CVT. Never experienced anything like you're referring. I would suggest taking your Civic to the dealership and have an advisor go with you on a drive to demonstrate your transmission issue. Good luck.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I suppose checking the fluid level wouldn't hurt anything. If you go to Leith; Nick Darone is the service adviser to see.
I might need to get a fluid flush or change for the cvt. When I drive from Raleigh to Charlotte or anywhere longer than 2 hours, the transmission becomes a turtle. The throttle is very laggy and it turns harsh. Any ideas of good shops around the Raleigh area?

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had a '16 EXT and now have a '19 EX hatch both with CVT. Never experienced anything like you're referring. I would suggest taking your Civic to the dealership and have an advisor go with you on a drive to demonstrate your transmission issue. Good luck.
I just might do that!

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine does the same thing, I'm not worried about it.
Yeah, I kind of figured that it was somewhat normal, but I want to get it checked out, since the cvt's aren't the strongest and most reliable transmission.

FK718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX Hatch w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2018 EX does exactly what you've mentioned...to the point that I really dread a red light turning green before I come to a complete stop. I've found it helps to keep super light pressure on the gas for about a second after releasing the brake. You'll feel the car sort of figure things out. It's super annoying, but it seems to be the best/smoothest way to accelerate without the car jerking so bad. I'm also in the Raleigh/Cary area.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2018 EX does exactly what you've mentioned...to the point that I really dread a red light turning green before I come to a complete stop. I've found it helps to keep super light pressure on the gas for about a second after releasing the brake. You'll feel the car sort of figure things out. It's super annoying, but it seems to be the best/smoothest way to accelerate without the car jerking so bad. I'm also in the Raleigh/Cary area.
I'll try that out today, hopefully it will eliminate some of the lag near slower speeds.
Sponsored