Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want some opinons on why the CVT or Manual is better :hmm:
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The manual transmission is more sporty, more fun to drive, and handles a lot more torque if you are going to add power. The CVT has it’s place but it’s not for me.

MonsterYoda

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EXT w/Honda Sensing & KTuner
Country flag
In addition to 360Glitch, it all depends on what you like in driving and what your main driving will be. For me, I like a compromise between a sporty ride and comfortable drive. I thought about it for a while and made my own calculation method. I took my main commute (which for most is the drive to work) and calculated how much time was spent cruising in high gear vs. stop and go traffic. For me it was only 15-20% of time spent in high gear just cruising. My 10 mile commute has over 20 stop lights and only about 1 mile longest stretch between lights. For my now personal sanity I went with the CVT. The manual will give you more power available later with modifications. From most of my reading between here, KTUner, and Hondata's websites, The CVT will not hold up somewhere between 275-300 WTQ. I am running the Stage 2 KTuner map which is stated to be 205-210 WHP and 250-260 WTQ. I love my setup. Econ mode puts it in stock configuration whenever wanted. The S gear keeps the RPM's right in the power band no matter what low speed I might be driving around town. Hit the gas and instant jolt with the turbo already spooled up. I would recommend the CVT for mainly city driving. If you live in the country, a manual would be fun to drive in the winding roads. But to each his own. You have to decide what you want to drive like and what you are doing aftermarket when it comes to power.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Its a really simple decision. Just base it on where you are going to be driving your car most of the time and how comfortable you are with driving manuals in high traffic situations. If you live in a suburban/rural area with an easy commute and lots of open road, GET THE MANUAL because you can actually take advantage of it.

Or you could be like me and have to commute in traffic and do a lot of urban driving, so a CVT is much more convinient and gives you a piece lf mind. If you want to mod your car to make much more power though, thats even more reason to get the manual because as the person above me said, the manual can handle more torque. But if you plan on doing light mods or keeping it mostly stock and your commute has a lot of traffic/urban driving, then I think you would like the CVT morw because imo its still a great transmission. One is only better than the othwr depending on what the person is looking for.

OP
OP
HatchHTX

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I live in Houston, so ideally the best thing for me commuting would be the CVT. I don't plan on doing a ton of aftermarket mods to gain more power, I want something sporty, fun to drive, and very reliable. Sure the 6MT would be a blast to drive and you can mod the crap out of, but for my purpose the CVT fits me. the only thing that does suck about the CVT is that it can't handle torque well, but other than that it's pretty smooth and you can just have lots of fun with it. Maybe down the road when I feel I want more performance i'll go for the MT, or maybe even wait and get a used Type R :D. I can't wait to purchase my Hatch :))

Sticks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring, 2016 Corvette Z51, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Country flag
I went with the CVT for these reasons.
1. Civic will spend most time in urban setting
2. Only thing available with the Touring, and my wife wanted the Touring :)
3. I'm an old fart
4. I'm blessed to have a manual Corvette to satisfy my sport cravings

If you are young (or old!) with a strong left leg, and don't care about using it if you have an urban commute, definitely go for the manual transmission. Just read an article on the continuing decline of manual transmissions available on new cars. Grab one while you can!! :) :)

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I live in Toronto as well and still pick manual because its fun. Cheaper and reliability is bonus. The clutch on civic is so light and i never wish i picked up cvt during heavy traffic.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the CVT because Honda didn't offer a manual in the upper trims. In the past, I've owned a manual CRX, Integra and Civic. All three cars manual transmissions were fantastic. Honda knows how to do manuals right.

I was really hesitant getting my first CVT. I have to admit it took a while to get used to it. Overall though, Honda did a fine job tuning out most of the weird CVT behavior. For the most part it always has your engine at the RPM it needs to be in. My only complaint is in certain situations (going from light throttle to heavy at low speed in traffic) the CVT logic can be a bit slow. It also can be a bit jerky on occasion coming to a stop. But, 95% of the time it works flawlessly.

Last edited:

Plezor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic RS sedan 2016
Country flag
Alternatively you can move to Australia where every Civic, except Type R, is CVT. Sometimes it is easier not to have choice. We also don't get 2L engine.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you enjoy the experience of driving or do you not enjoy the experience of driving? Answer the question and then choose your transmission accordingly.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
If you’re an adult asking about a daily driver ... get the Hatch Sport with CVT and not have to worry about shifting in traffic - while still having a lot of fun in “sport mode” when you want to

The CVT is excellent, responsive, and makes driving easier without totally taking the fun out of the “driving experience”.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I opted for the manual because I actually enjoy the act of shifting gears; it makes me feel like I'm actually driving the car. And no, those flappy paddles behind the steering wheel, nor the +/- next to the automatic gear shifter, isn't driving a manual. It's my preference, but it's not for everyone.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Two years in with the CVT, and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm 71 and have many years with all types of Autos and MTs. CVT smoothly gives you the ideal ratio depending on the circumstances. Nice response to increasing speed or passing.
One thing not mentioned, is that the MT is not nearly geared tall enough for good cruising. This was important in my choice.
Another thing is the longevity of the CVT. Belt drive and variable pulleys may not bode well, but I'm hopeful.
Sponsored