jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Exactly. Two different cars made for two different purposes.

meow

First Name
Dot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport & 2017 Ford Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Watch me get a lot of sh*t for this but I'll say it. I've driven/owned manual vehicles for awhile. Anything ranging from an economy car to an outright sports car. I get that with the civic being a budget friendly fun vehicle, it's even funner for those first time manual owners to really enjoy it. I truly get that. And more power to you if you have fun in your car and enjoy the vehicle you purchase. What you're forgetting is there are a lot of CVT owners in this forum who have owned manual vehicles in the past and opted for a CVT this time around because they understand something simple; A CIVIC IS NOT A SPORTS CAR. "ermergherd I did a 0-60 in 6 seconds" stfu please. The manual gearbox in these civics (not Type-R/SI) is shit. You have a hatchback sport in a 6 speed manual? It sucks. The whole "auto vs manual" debate would make more sense if we actually drove sports cars. But we don't. We drive an economy car that is fun (regardless of transmission option). Approximately 3 weeks ago, I purchased a slightly used 2017 Shelby GT350. Fun car to drive and the gearbox is phenomenal. I don't understand the concept of debating about transmission options in a fucking civic. So stop. It's fucking annoying to hear someone with a 20k economy car bragging about the fact that he drives a "manual" and dogging on CVT owners. It's stupid. I digress; to answer the question, I really hope the CVT can sustain high mileage. It is my daily driver and I want to drive it to the ground with 2xx,xxx miles.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Side note, the slide functionality on the volume is amazing. Was actually one of my salesman's selling points given he didn't have that in his own LX.
My salesman also wanted to make the magic volume slider a selling point but to his embarassment it didn't work. So I made it a dealbreaker, :thumbsdown:until I discovered it is a "premium recommended car" , which he didn't know either. I felt like "premium recommended" is something to brag about, :thumbsup:so I forgot about the dumbified volume control and bought it.
:):)

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's might high irony considering your post count in this thread alone lol. I get it, its cold, winter hasn't left Canada yet and your tired of being stuck in rut. no need to take it out on fellow civic owners. Perhaps the Leafs still being in the playoffs has thrown a wrench in your springtime plans? Either way man, your getting way too personal and angry about a transmission, perhaps take a break this weekend. Get out of the basement, go outside, breath some fresh Canadian air, grab some poutine or something. Itll do ya good

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Watch me get a lot of sh*t for this but I'll say it. I've driven/owned manual vehicles for awhile. Anything ranging from an economy car to an outright sports car. I get that with the civic being a budget friendly fun vehicle, it's even funner for those first time manual owners to really enjoy it. I truly get that. And more power to you if you have fun in your car and enjoy the vehicle you purchase. What you're forgetting is there are a lot of CVT owners in this forum who have owned manual vehicles in the past and opted for a CVT this time around because they understand something simple; A CIVIC IS NOT A SPORTS CAR
Or, more to my way of thinking... I've driven a stick for my 35+ years of driving. When it came time for this vehicle, having one the wife could drive if needed was a small consideration, but even bigger was the fact that the CVT simply beat the manual for gas mileage from what I read, or at least was so close as to make no difference, and the combination of the turbo and CVT gives it everything I need as a daily driver in terms of performance. Heck, I keep it in D with ECON and don't have any complaints, I suppose if I was feeling let down I could kick into S with ECON off and take my edge off. LoL But the point being, I'm not racing, I'm not on a track, and in every situation I probably will ever realistically drive in, this thing covers the bases for me.

to answer the question, I really hope the CVT can sustain high mileage. It is my daily driver and I want to drive it to the ground with 2xx,xxx miles.
Exactly my feelings. Looking for a very long-term relationship. I feel guilty, traded in my 2002 Civic to get this, with only 118K, but you know, sometimes you just want to move on... :)

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Slow day at work for me so I've read through 9 pages of assumptions and "one-up one another" bickering.
It was entertaining but I had to do the inevitable. I clicked on the user-name and about halfway down there is the ignore button. Done.

About the CVT, stop worrying about something that has not happened yet. The CVT will last just as long as any other slushbox out there.
When it takes a dump and you still have the car just replace it. By that time there should be plenty used ones out there... some racer want to be totaled his Civic early on - so the trans will have low mileage.
I am giving Honda credit for making such a smooth transmission.
It is so smooth, infinite gear (or cone) ratios, awesome overdrive on hwy which returns great fuel mileage.
Had more than a dozen manual trans cars and 3 German cars with DSG, they were great but I will take this CVT any day.
Those with the "fast and F. furious complex"- wanting to race or prove that your Civic is faster, get over it! It is NOT.
Those with the 6 stick superiority, I get it. You and your passenger enjoy the rocking back forth feeling in your seat with each gear change, and feeling that acceleration, great, feeling like you are in control, great. Do it!
If you beat a BMW, or Hemi with your Civic, great. Hint... he/she wasn't trying to race you.

Give this a glance... I solely agree with it. It is just too damn funny. :)
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=civic

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
To an extent bickering on a discussion board is inevitable. Especially considering the testosterone level here at CivicX. And remember, opinions are like assholes, cause everybody's got one. ;)

Reactions: Car

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Or, more to my way of thinking... I've driven a stick for my 35+ years of driving. When it came time for this vehicle, having one the wife could drive if needed was a small consideration, but even bigger was the fact that the CVT simply beat the manual for gas mileage from what I read, or at least was so close as to make no difference, and the combination of the turbo and CVT gives it everything I need as a daily driver in terms of performance. Heck, I keep it in D with ECON and don't have any complaints, I suppose if I was feeling let down I could kick into S with ECON off and take my edge off. LoL But the point being, I'm not racing, I'm not on a track, and in every situation I probably will ever realistically drive in, this thing covers the bases for me.
I think along similar lines. I don't judge people who have different preferences, I'm just happy with what I do. My personal wife's first car was a beaten-up old Chevrolet Chevette (that's what I consider a true economy car) with manual. She drove it starting as a teenager for several years everyday to school and work. This car handled well, but had negligible power and a worn-out clutch. I initially stalled it multiple times. But she mastered it perfectly.

Then she drove only automatics and now she is done with sticks, feels insecure and just hates to drive them. Go figure. I want her to be able to drive my car (of course very rarely) but I don't want her to drive my car hating and fearing it.

I also drove 2 other manual cars for many years. So now I didn't get a CVT because I don't like manual - I chose CVT because I wanted the CVT. 3 months after I bought my first CVT car I like it even more than when I test drove it. And - I never complained on the car (or a wife) I got, because I always got the car (or wife) I tested and wanted. It's not different this time. It exceeded my expectations.

The first car with a CVT I test drove it was a Jeep Patriot. I didn't buy it.

Exactly my feelings. Looking for a very long-term relationship. I feel guilty, traded in my 2002 Civic to get this, with only 118K, but you know, sometimes you just want to move on... :)
Leasing cars is a great way to often have a new car, but I have never leased a vehicle and I don't have such plans, at least for my current incarnation. I never got rid of a car before well over 100 kmiles. A five-six year old car that I bought new, I still consider new. I also never broke an engine or a transmission. I consider 200 kmiles easy to achieve with any car except for some known crapboxes. I traded in a 2000 Mazda MPV minivan with well over 200k miles, paint like new (I generally wash cars only when they catch some salt in winter, but I admit the air and the ground are relatively clean here.) and no issues, no check engine lights. I have no horror stories to tell about lemons or neverending repairs. So I don't consider it a great favor if the car works for me for over 200 kmiles. I fully expect it from any car I buy.

I guess I have been lucky. But sometimes I think maybe (just maybe) I'm so extremely smart, it freaks me out...:yes:

Last edited:

DoubleDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
The manual gearbox in these civics (not Type-R/SI) is shit. You have a hatchback sport in a 6 speed manual? It sucks.
Heyy, I resent that!!..............................But it's true, lol.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
To an extent bickering on a discussion board is inevitable. Especially considering the testosterone level here at CivicX. And remember, opinions are like assholes, cause everybody's got one. ;)
How much testosterone can someone possibly get from a honda civic?
Sponsored