CVT leak?

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX w/sensing, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
I just went to change my oil, and when taking off the protective cover under the engine, I noticed a film of oil coating the bottom of the CVT pan. This is new since the last time I changed my oil about 5k miles ago. There is no dripping, and the area around drain plug is clean and dry. Furthermore, I park in the garage and have never seen any oil stains on the floor. The car runs fine. I had changed the CVT fluid by draining and filling at the fill bolt around 30k miles, and now Iā€™m at 57k. I have Hondacare through 120k.

I called the dealer and was told to bring it in, pay a $69 diagnosis fee, and they would add UV dye to the trans fluid and look for leaks, and if the problem is covered by hondacare, I would pay nothing.

Has anybody noticed oil on the bottom of the CVT pan? I donā€™t see how this is normal, but also donā€™t know why there is no dripping from the bottom of the pan or on my garage floor. Maybe the pan gasket is leaking a bit?
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just went to change my oil, and when taking off the protective cover under the engine, I noticed a film of oil coating the bottom of the CVT pan. This is new since the last time I changed my oil about 5k miles ago. There is no dripping, and the area around drain plug is clean and dry. Furthermore, I park in the garage and have never seen any oil stains on the floor. The car runs fine. I had changed the CVT fluid by draining and filling at the fill bolt around 30k miles, and now Iā€™m at 57k. I have Hondacare through 120k.

I called the dealer and was told to bring it in, pay a $69 diagnosis fee, and they would add UV dye to the trans fluid and look for leaks, and if the problem is covered by hondacare, I would pay nothing.

Has anybody noticed oil on the bottom of the CVT pan? I donā€™t see how this is normal, but also donā€™t know why there is no dripping from the bottom of the pan or on my garage floor. Maybe the pan gasket is leaking a bit?
wait, you have to pay a diagnostic fee to use your hondacare? like is that in the paperwork or is the dealer working you over for $70

OP
OP

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Discovered the issue: after peering under the hood and comparing with our other Civic, I noticed that the CVT fill cap is missing! I previously had no idea where it was even located. Other than changing oil myself, it was only serviced at the dealer for the piston ring recall.
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT leak? 20180926_103024
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT leak? 20180926_103002

It looks like I'll need a new fill cap and will need to change the fluid...I just hope that the CVT is still okay and that not too much gunk got in there. I have no idea when the cap went missing or whether it was even there from the factory.

Anybody think that Hondacare should cover any of this?

OP
OP

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
wait, you have to pay a diagnostic fee to use your hondacare? like is that in the paperwork or is the dealer working you over for $70
They told me that if they find a problem that is covered by Hondacare, then Hondacare will absorb the diagnostic fee of $69. Apparently there is a list of items which are excluded from Hondacare.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had changed the CVT fluid by draining and filling at the fill bolt around 30k miles.
Discovered the issue: after peering under the hood and comparing with our other Civic, I noticed that the CVT fill cap is missing! I previously had no idea where it was even located. Other than changing oil myself, it was only serviced at the dealer for the piston ring recall.
@regularguy I'm confused, you first stated that you changed the CVT fluid and then you later stated that you've done nothing but oil changes. Can you clarify this please.

OP
OP

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@regularguy I'm confused, you first stated that you changed the CVT fluid and then you later stated that you've done nothing but oil changes. Can you clarify this please.
Regular oil changes and a CVT oil change at 30k miles. I did this by draining and then filling from the overflow bolt, because at the time I couldn't locate the fill cap. In retrospect it's possible the cap was missing back then, though I can't say for sure.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Regular oil changes and a CVT oil change at 30k miles. I did this by draining and then filling from the overflow bolt, because at the time I couldn't locate the fill cap. In retrospect it's possible the cap was missing back then, though I can't say for sure.
@regularguy Ahh so you performed the fluid swap yourself

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I noticed a film of oil coating the bottom of the CVT pan. This is new since the last time I changed my oil about 5k miles ago. There is no dripping, and the area around drain plug is clean and dry. b
You may just loose the CVT plug . Plug was there before IMO
Can you top CVT with adding oil ? Is there any dipstick to see ?

Buy a CVT oil plug , top CVT oil and enjoy your car. :thumbsup:

dannys1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Country flag

Hi i have a 2016 civic touring canadian model with cvt transmission that was the only option as for powertrain when i baught the car early 2016, my car has currently 126 000km since the beginning ( 500km) i noticed the rpm surge with the cvt transmission , i went to the dealer to have it fixed under warrenty. 1.5 year later my rear left suspension leaked and got replaced on warranty i had about 56 000 km. 3 month later the suspension that has been changed leaked again but that time i had 88 000km ( out of warranty) but the dealer was nice and they change it claiming it was a defect... Yesterday i went for a old change at a small garage near my neighborhood and they noticed a major oil leak between the suspension and the motor. today i went to have it checked by honda , they charged me 68 $ for about 0.4h of labor and it was clear. The leak come from the cvt casing... they told me they cant just change some part they have to change the whole thing and a cvt brand new is 7000$ ... there is no way im gonna pay for this i told them. they sent the work order to Honda Canada and now i am waiting to see if they will replace it, i baught a brand new honda hoping to not have a single problem but i guess i was wrong this is the worst car i have owned so far . i always do the maintenance program and have already replace the transmission fluid by honda at 80 000km. check the pictures its pretty nasty and no i dont drive heavy footed. i average a 6L/100km autonomy. you are not alone ...

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT leak? 20190613_111653

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT leak? 20190613_111702

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT leak? 20190613_111717

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
20180926_103024.jpg
20180926_103002.jpg

It looks like I'll need a new fill cap and will need to change the fluid...I just hope that the CVT is still okay and that not too much gunk got in there. I have no idea when the cap went missing or whether it was even there from the factory.

Anybody think that Hondacare should cover any of this?
Is it the fill plug laying besides the hole in the picture?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Looks like. Good catch! My bet is that it ā€˜blewā€™ out of the hole when fluid was forced in at the overflow bolt hole.

As for the 2016 Canadian Touring, identical to mine, this is the second warning against me keeping mine long-term. Got mine the exact same time as yours, but only have 36k kms on it so far.
Sponsored