CVT Lag + Jolting forward ? (1.5T EX-L Sedan)

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had to adjust my driving habits because the turbo lag and cvt is pretty bad. I would go and there would be cars coming and this car wouldn't go so I would hit the gas hard and then take off like a rocket. Now I'm use to the lag so it's not as bad.
There's definitely a learning curve at the beginning, at least it makes the takeoffs from red lights smooth. Just slow. Sometimes it happens when I'm making a left turn, so I prod the gas a bit and end up getting wheelspin at like 2500 RPM, its kinda funny.
Sponsored

virtuoso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo
As a workaround I always shift to the 's' mode to avoid the lag when getting into a stop-and-go traffic or about to merge into a highway. From what I understand, the shifting between 'd' and 's' can be done while the car is in motion.

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Civic Si 2015, Supercharged Challenger
Vehicle Showcase
I have this same thing happen to me too, and I believe that it's CVT lag. I previously drove a 2013 Nissan sentra with CVT that had around a 2 second lag under the same conditions that was mentioned, which was what made me ditch that car. *shudder* Nissan has one of, if not the laggiest CVTs out there... Now the new civic has a shorter lag than that, so I guess I'll just live with it.
AFAIK, Nissan owns most CVT patents and designs.

hybrid81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
As a workaround I always shift to the 's' mode to avoid the lag when getting into a stop-and-go traffic or about to merge into a highway. From what I understand, the shifting between 'd' and 's' can be done while the car is in motion.
I shift to S at stop lights, when merging, and when driving in the passing lane. I have not noticed any issues with the car from doing so.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2016 Acura MDX, 2006 Acura RSX, 2016 Honda Civic coupe touring
It's amazing how these cars can behave so differently, I have a 2015 Fit and a new Civic, both with CVTs and I've had none of the symptoms others are describing, nada. I test drove two coupes and tried my hardest to replicate the lag and jerking before buying mine and had no issues. I've had previous cars with turbos and know how to recognize turbo lag and the civic has some as I would expect but hardly noticeable not seconds as some have described it. It would suck to have the issues some are having, good luck to you in resolving the problem.

To the previous poster who said he was 72, I have you beat young feller, I'm 75.

KoreanDrama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016, Honda Civic Hybrid 2003
It's just the CVT. I've been playing around with early throttle application in corners. It feels weird, but if you give it a good bit of gas around the time you are turning in toward the apex, the car will slingshot out of the corner. :)
we have abnormally similar profile pictures

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Must be a lot of first time turbo owners in here.

Our 10th Civic has ZERO turbo lag. TD03 turbos are dang near spooling at idle they are so small. I had a T3/T4 57trim in my old Eagle Talon. Full spool at 4100 rpm. Not horrible, but flooring it in 5th while going 60mph felt like I could get out and push faster. Once boost hit tho... well 12.1 sec 1/4 miles :)

What everybody is experiencing is just normal CVT operation. Think of it like trying to take off on your mountain bike in 3rd gear and then dropping to 1st because you need to get moving. CVT isn't going to be sitting at the lowest gear at a light. This is speculation, but I believe Econ mode and S vs D drive modes would play into the CVT ratio as well. Leaving a light in D with Econ on gets you no where fast, unless you mash the pedal down. Then it takes a min, but it'll get you moving quickly.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Also, the jerkyness is due to the new civic CVT having a torque converter. I love this about the new car because you actually feel connected to the car, this attributes to the jerky feeling. I would much rather have this than a blah, bland, rubber band feeling that is noticed in other cvts that don't have a torque converter.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also, the jerkyness is due to the new civic CVT having a torque converter. I love this about the new car because you actually feel connected to the car, this attributes to the jerky feeling. I would much rather have this than a blah, bland, rubber band feeling that is noticed in other cvts that don't have a torque converter.
Still feels a little rubber bandy to me when I'm being heavy on the throttle. But I know I'm going fast because when I look in the rear view mirror everyone's is left in the dust haha.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Still feels a little rubber bandy to me when I'm being heavy on the throttle. But I know I'm going fast because when I look in the rear view mirror everyone's is left in the dust haha.
Hmmmm,, well imo it will be the least rubber bandy CVT you will find for a long time. Honda used a torque converter to make the driver feel more connected to the car. I was a CVT hater before I got my new civic. I love this CVT. Revs stay so low when cruzing, frig, you can Hwy cruze @ 60mph and keep the revs below 2000rpm. This is unheard of in a 4cyl, let alone a 1.5L. :bow:

@domm92 have you test drove another touring to see if it's doing the same thing?

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVT Hatchback Sport Touring here.... I hate this.
The CVT Transmission is just SO laggy and in traffic this KILLS me because I can't cross over lanes the way I would in my N/A FG2.
It feels very similar to how my mom's 2011 Nissan Sentra with a blown CVT felt, very slow and "civil"
The sudden slip and grab of the CVT feels awful along with the artificial turbo lag, and I think this is the main reason I've been wanting more power from this car.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
2.0NA w CVT here, I've been leaving econ mode off because the time to accelerate is so long. Haven't really ever experienced any lag, just slow acceleration when in Econ and D. Econ off plus S = vroom vroom! No lag or slow response since it idles at a higher rpm..

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
2.0NA w CVT here, I've been leaving econ mode off because the time to accelerate is so long. Haven't really ever experienced any lag, just slow acceleration when in Econ and D. Econ off plus S = vroom vroom! No lag or slow response since it idles at a higher rpm..
Also, those who don't want to constantly drive in S, I drive with my hand on the shifter after pretty much 20 years of driving stick, so flipping to S for speedy advancing has already become second nature. It works 2x as fast as just throttling down. Bout the closest to "manual" I can get.

carsrmilife

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring(TRADED)
Country flag
I don't experience any of this in my 17' Hatch ST. Even if I mash the gas in Eco, which is what I normally drive in, it seems like a normal delay time to me. It almost reminds me of the old four speed autos from several years ago, when you had to wait for the four to one kick-down. It's certainly not the instant thrust of my Focus ST or BMW 335, which were manuals, but also an entirely different animal. I do however, not like the slow ramp up from a dead stop, which not even S mode cures. I am hoping a Vit Tune flash will help some.
Sponsored