First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's a picture I found on a car w/a CVT. Not sure if it's a 2.0 or 1.5t car... still, look for this label...
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT belt failure at 14k miles... P1000011
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP... junkyards aren't the best source for accurate powertrain info.;) Here's the inside info on the two CVT's from Honda's official 10th gen press kit. Definitely different units.

https://hondanews.com/honda-automob...s/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-powertrain

Continuously Variable Transmission for 2.0L i-VTEC
The Civic LX and EX which are powered by the 2.0-liter engine offer a CVT (available in the LX and standard in the EX) that is a refined version of the CVT that was offered in the previous generation Civic. It features a retuned torque converter, and a new generation of G-Design shift logic.

Continuously Variable Transmission for 1.5L Turbo
Turbo Civic models offer a CVT that is an evolution of the CVT transmission that is offered in Accord 4-cylinder models. In this application, the transmission's final gear ratio is 4.69-percent taller than the Accord CVT on which it's based, to allow for lower engine rpm while cruising. A new generation of G-Design shift logic aids acceleration and has a more familiar driving feel. A new turbine twin-damper design for the torque converter provides tighter control and helps reduce turbocharger lag as the vehicle accelerates.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is mine from a 1.5t

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT belt failure at 14k miles... 52384632_2199038150316453_289187758721728512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So from a tech at honda, they are definitely different

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT belt failure at 14k miles... 8CBC1AA3-C104-4489-B217-01DEE5357C13

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Still... cracking open the 'dry' half to change a belt looks terribly simple. I'm probably way over simplifying it and it might actually be a real PITA, but it's a real shame the parts aren't there to make an attempt. Hopefully that'll change one of these days. Anytime I hear the word "belt" I think of something that will have to be replaced one of these days.
The main problem here is that these belts are very strong. They would normally rather slip than break. The likelihood that a belt broke at 14 kmiles without any overheating or an obvious abuse/racing situation, resulting in belt disintegration as the only damage, is practically zero. The only case would be if the belt had a manufacturing defect. These are not rubber belts which can wear out quickly.

Almost always another failure will cause the belt failure, so belt replacement will rarely be the fix. If the belt is bent sideways or twisted it will give very quickly. But this should never happen.
Here the guy took apart a Nissan CVT and came to a conclusion that what was locking a pulley to the shaft was sheared, causing the pulley to turn on the shaft, causing distortion of the belt and its demise. Apparently he found the Nissan transmission had too small balls on this shaft....

Last edited:

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Hey everyone.

Just to jump in here. This is one of the many notable differences between the CVT transmissions. It's safe to say, with out a doubt, they're not the same.

2.0 CVTOil pump
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT belt failure at 14k miles... 2.0 oil pump

1.5L CVT Oil Pump
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT belt failure at 14k miles... 1.5l Oil pump

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Honda only quoted me a reman trans @$2200, I didn't even think about asking about a new one till I do some digging. Thanks for all of the replies and condolences.
I said I wouldn't bother for a remanufactured CVT from any independent shop, but maybe remanufactured by Honda makes sense depending on warranty?

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Final Drives

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT belt failure at 14k miles... 2.0 Final Drive

1.5l
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT belt failure at 14k miles... 1.5L final drive

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
people who sell rebuilt civics often have other civics just for parts.

OP
OP
HandyAndy1013

HandyAndy1013

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L 1.5T, 2011 Honda Pilot Touring, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 1999 F-150 4x4
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide your input. I found a transmission that is from a 1.5t from LKQ, it should be delivered Monday. The guy I dealt with again insisted that 2.0n/a and 1.5t automatic transmissions were the same, but I had already found the stock number of one in their inventory via car-part.com that was from a 1.5t, so I told him to just sell me that specific one. It only comes with a 6 month warranty, but I will take the risk at $550. I will try to take some decent photos during removal/install for a R&R trans post. Thanks again for everyone's time and feedback.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide your input. I found a transmission that is from a 1.5t from LKQ, it should be delivered Monday. The guy I dealt with again insisted that 2.0n/a and 1.5t automatic transmissions were the same, but I had already found the stock number of one in their inventory via car-part.com that was from a 1.5t, so I told him to just sell me that specific one. It only comes with a 6 month warranty, but I will take the risk at $550. I will try to take some decent photos during removal/install for a R&R trans post. Thanks again for everyone's time and feedback.
Photos would be much appreciated. Other than a few threads that talk clutch installs, I can't think if one that is detailed in a transmission swap. At $550 for a used unit vs $9k through Honda, it is a well priced risk that will hopefully pay off and get your car going again... and keep it going until the wheels fall off.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, sounds like a great deal. Good luck with everything.

chattytam

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe touring
Today my Civic decided that I didn't need to make it to work on time. Everything was business as usual until leaving my son's day care. I put the car in reverse, moved about 8 feet, then the car lurched 3 or 4 times. After leaving the parking spot I put it into drive, leading to 2 more lurches forward, then nothing, the car would not move in any gear. Car has no warranty due to salvage title. I know what was damaged, and it did not involve the transmission. Now I have to decide which route to go: Reman Honda trans, a used one, or be bold and attempt a MT conversion. Thoughts?

This is what I found

CVTBelt.jpg
Today my Civic decided that I didn't need to make it to work on time. Everything was business as usual until leaving my son's day care. I put the car in reverse, moved about 8 feet, then the car lurched 3 or 4 times. After leaving the parking spot I put it into drive, leading to 2 more lurches forward, then nothing, the car would not move in any gear. Car has no warranty due to salvage title. I know what was damaged, and it did not involve the transmission. Now I have to decide which route to go: Reman Honda trans, a used one, or be bold and attempt a MT conversion. Thoughts?

This is what I found

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT belt failure at 14k miles... CVTBelt
I’m not sure how recalls work with a rebuild but in the letter it says the CVT is one of the things they cover replacement for 6 years unlimited mileage.
Also the letter says that only some are effected however dealership told me ALL 2016-2018 Civics and CRVs with 1.5L turbo are effected.
Good luck, hope this helps

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT belt failure at 14k miles... 4D8B6137-60CF-46DB-B2B2-F89ADFB4B1FC

WCELingad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
I would only buy a salvaged car if I was a mechanic that knows how to rebuild and check all potential problems of a car, so this is one of the risk that comes with buying a salvaged title no matter how good of a deal it may look.

My 1.5T CVT has nearly 75,000 miles after owning for over 2 years and was purchased brand new with zero issues besides routine oil change and tire rotation.
Sponsored