whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
This is probably a basic question asked before but I can't find definitive info searching the forums.
Is the CVT supposed to auto shift at 6000 rpm vs the 6500 redline in S mode? My 2018 Sport Touring hatch does. This makes paddle shifters almost useless. Can this be fixed on the Hondata software? Would prefer the car shifted closer to redline. Also, with a running start, how do you downshift to the proper "gear" with a CVT?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that "shift" is normal. I don't think you'll ever see redline with the CVT. The reason is, there's really no reason to go there. Our turbo runs out of breath (and power) far below redline.

As far as paddles with a CVT...."meh".

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, that "shift" is normal. I don't think you'll ever see redline with the CVT. The reason is, there's really no reason to go there. Our turbo runs out of breath (and power) far below redline.

As far as paddles with a CVT...."meh".
True, my torque curve holds to about 5500 and hp tops out at 6000.

Any help on the downshift for a rolling race. First turbo vehicle, and CVT for me.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

TheMarkedOne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I do wonder if there is a way to disable the auto shifting in the sport hatch.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m pretty sure if you put it in L it behaves like a traditional CVT.

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Get a tune. :)
Gtman... I have it tuned with Hondata, that and the upgraded parts I put on gave me 55 more hp and 77 ft lbs of torque. Now I would just like to know how to downshift the CVT.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is L? I have D or S, that's it.
L is on the sedans and coupes only (we have D, S and L but no paddles). Honda says L is good for hills and engine braking. The secret is, it's also good for drag racing. There are no fake shift points. It just hovers around 6000 rpm like a freakin' freight train. It just pulls and pulls.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I never wound it out in L. But normal driving around town L reminds me of Low used in normal (not CVT) automatic transmissions and S reminds me of Second gear used in normal automatics.

Years ago when they only had 3 or 4 speed automatics sometimes S was used when driving in the mountains. If going down a steep grade with the Civic I'd probably try S to see if it provides any engine braking.

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I never wound it out in L. But normal driving around town L reminds me of Low used in normal (not CVT) automatic transmissions and S reminds me of Second gear used in normal automatics.

Years ago when they only had 3 or 4 speed automatics sometimes S was used when driving in the mountains. If going down a steep grade with the Civic I'd probably try S to see if it provides any engine braking.
S definitely has engine braking. I use it on my long descent if I dont want to use my brakes.

TheMarkedOne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have L mode but I hope with tuning it could remove the "auto shifting". I don't know if there are any disadvantages for the auto shifting.

First Name
Saïd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring White Pearl
Country flag
This is probably a basic question asked before but I can't find definitive info searching the forums.
Is the CVT supposed to auto shift at 6000 rpm vs the 6500 redline in S mode? My 2018 Sport Touring hatch does. This makes paddle shifters almost useless. Can this be fixed on the Hondata software? Would prefer the car shifted closer to redline. Also, with a running start, how do you downshift to the proper "gear" with a CVT?
I have a touring sedan and I'm very disapointed, I usually floor the car on highway and it revs to 4000 rpm then it raises rpm very slowly past that 4K, is it normal or should I take an appointment with the dealership??

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Are you supposed to drive in "S" mode or "D" when tuned with ktuner?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I test drove a 2019 Sedan Sport the other day. I found the Honda Sensing very interesting, but the CVT and paddles left me wanting a 6MT. However I kinda need an automatic otherwise the wife won't drive it and I won't be able to justify the purchase. On the test drive, I kept it in S (which was just a louder version of D since the revs were kept higher) and when I made my first shift with the paddles, it skipped simulated 2nd gear and went to 3rd, I guess based on the speed I was traveling at the time? So you have the paddles for shifting but still don't have complete control over your revs. Kinda disappointing...and now even more so after reading what the OP wrote. I'm thinking my NEW plan instead of trading in our 2nd car for the CVT Sport, I might just try to find a used 6MT coupe for VERY cheap $ and try to convince the wife it's cheap enough for a 3rd car. I'd miss the Sensing though.
Sponsored