Custom Gauges Through Infotainment Console

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Android Auto
It's all very confusing ... because the same name is used for so many things.

The System name is "Android Auto"

The Head Unit has "Android Auto" Compatibility -- ie it has an Android Auto "Client" installed on it.

The Smartphone has an APP called "Android Auto" loaded onto it, which is really a "Server" App to talk to the "Client APP" in the head Unit.

If the head Unit is not locked down, and you can install Apps on it, you can actually install the Smartphone Server version on the head Unit, and get the Android Auto display, showing any Android Auto compatible Apps you have installed on your Head unit.
Its like having a different LAUNCHER on your head unit, while AA is running on the head Unit.

Confused yet .. I sure am !!! lol

Then there is "HeadUnit Reloaded", which is an APP that you can install on a non AA head unit, that goes a long way to make it an AA compatible head unit...
ie something you might install on a Phoenix Head Unit, if you were installing that in your car to replace eh Honda head Unit.

Now my brain Hurts !!!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Im Running Wifi now. work perfect.
Great ... now just don't OBSESS looking at the gauges when Driving... you need to look out the front windscreen occasionally to see where you are going !!!:drive:
(Just like flying a Plane VFR !!)

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
now i really gotta find my unit. It had/ve a wifi one since that was the only type iPhones back then can interface with. That or the TrackAddict app I was using at the time. Thx for the research @ostudent

Imski

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Anyone know how to read ethanol content on torque pro? Anyone know the custom PID?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just did the same on my headunit/cell phone with the OBD2 for AA. The first time I connect the phone to the car it works but if the car is turned off say for the auto-stop function, the app on the head unit stops working... I am using a cheap 8$ bluetooth OBD2 device so it is a bit laggy for the readings on the HU. The app on the cell phone is faster. Cant say it looks great on the headunit but definately better than not having it at all!

Which PIDs do I add are for the IATs? On torque pro i saw Short/long fuel bank 1 and 2, only bank 1 works. So far the only readings I got from the car that look proper is the Air Fuel Ratio and the Short/Long Fuel. Not even the boost seems to have the correct reading. I have also no idea how to start the performance measurements, 0-62mph etc...any help is greatly appreciated!

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si ✓
MUST ALREADY HAVE A WIFI OBD2 DONGLE! Not bluetooth.. unless you like lag.

So far there seems to be 2 ways to get the Torque Pro app to display on our head units. (as usually the case with anything android based)

This covers only getting Torque Pro to display on the CiViC stock HU. I personally advise not to use the stock HU for anything other than diagnostic monitoring purposes such as this, hondata, tunerview, etc. The stock HU is still JellyBean (iirc). Its a very old OS and unsupported by most apps of today people seem to want to install for the "cool" factor. Bottom line: install unesscessary (heavy load) apps like netflix etc. Most likely its gonna lag and risk potential for irepairable damage increases if you do. Ive never found lag to be cool. However, this is just my opinion. To each, his own.

Rooting carries risks you must be aware of. Time will not allow me to not get into that here, but if you are not familiar, DO YOUR RESEARCH before proceeding. Even more so if you've never learned the HARD lesson of bricking a flagship phone. :cry:

[Root Method]
1. Root the honda infotainment system, package your purchased torque pro app into an apk file, transfer APK file to a DEDICATED portable usb drive and install DIRECTLY to car HU via USB port. Store USB drive with back ups in safe location.

[DO NOT INSTALL GOOGLE SERVICES, PLAY STORE, and TURN OFF ANY AUTO UPDATES] Not doing so runs the risk of owning an expensive brick.

[Non-Root Method]
aka Android Auto Method

-Install the Android Auto App from the Google Play Store.
-Purchase and install the Torque Pro app from the Google play store.
-Install XDA labs (free) from the Google Play Store.
-Open the XDA labs app, sign up for account.
-Search in XDA labs for, purchase, and install the OBD2AA app.
-Connect your android device [Smartphone, Tablet, etc] to your car via USB or Bluetooth, there should be a pop up (WOULD YOU LIKE TO CONNECT VIA ANDRIOD AUTO) choose YES.
-With Android Auto connected, open up Torque Pro, then open up OBD2AA.
-Profit.

This isn't a step by step walk through or comprehensive guide. More of an overview of the 2 ways to get this on your Headunit.

Most of this from memory, and what I've gathered from this forum. Also doing this from my phone during break so sorry for grammatical errors and such. Feel free to correct, or comment!

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
MUST ALREADY HAVE A WIFI OBD2 DONGLE! Not bluetooth.. unless you like lag.

So far there seems to be 2 ways to get the Torque Pro app to display on our head units. (as usually the case with anything android based)

This covers only getting Torque Pro to display on the CiViC stock HU. I personally advise not to use the stock HU for anything other than diagnostic monitoring purposes such as this, hondata, tunerview, etc. The stock HU is still JellyBean (iirc). Its a very old OS and unsupported by most apps of today people seem to want to install for the "cool" factor. Bottom line: install unesscessary (heavy load) apps like netflix etc. Most likely its gonna lag and risk potential for irepairable damage increases if you do. Ive never found lag to be cool. However, this is just my opinion. To each, his own.
Maintaining minimalism (only installing the APK I really need, i.e. Torque Pro or any other metric displaying app), how has the HU been performing for you in terms of lag? 1 being laggiest, 10 being no lag what so ever. I am in the camp of anti lag myself, and HU has not necessarily been a lag experience in its stock form.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Maintaining minimalism (only installing the APK I really need, i.e. Torque Pro or any other metric displaying app), how has the HU been performing for you in terms of lag? 1 being laggiest, 10 being no lag what so ever. I am in the camp of anti lag myself, and HU has not necessarily been a lag experience in its stock form.
Rooting, in of itself, will change nothing in terms of performance on the device that is rooted. All that happens is that the user gains access to the root/whole system and can do as they please with it. What you do after rooting (for example a custom launch screen, themes, plug ins, etc.) can affect performance, however.

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Rooting, in of itself, will change nothing in terms of performance on the device that is rooted. All that happens is that the user gains access to the root/whole system and can do as they please with it. What you do after rooting (for example a custom launch screen, themes, plug ins, etc.) can affect performance, however.
I'm not talking about performance of stock HU vs root though. I'm talking about running APKs like Torque Pro or Tunerview, apps that aren't exactly built for in-car infotainment systems (pretty sure our Honda HU is very minimal on provided RAM)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I'm not talking about performance of stock HU vs root though. I'm talking about running APKs like Torque Pro or Tunerview, apps that aren't exactly built for in-car infotainment systems (pretty sure our Honda HU is very minimal on provided RAM)
Unless they were programmed by cruddy developers, I wouldn't expect those programs to be that problematic with memory, CPU, or GPU use. But I have seen some pretty poorly written apps too.

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EDIT: ELM does not make version 1.5 as shown in the picture. VEEPEAK IS A CHEAP CLONE RUNNING V1.0.

Btw, sorry for hijacking your thread bro, ill just leave this here though for infomative purposes.

I do have another potential problem regarding the WIFI ObD2 adaptor.

This VEEPEAK wifi adaptor I am using seems laggy now. Torque Pro reads errors indicating a faulty adaptor (see photo), and benchmarking in the APP also shows this veepeak adaptor performs way below all the others.

Anyone else having smilar problems with the veepeak?

Trying to see if this is just a faulty one i got from veepeak ($17) or if i should just return it and get one of the higher priced adaptors.

Thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen Custom Gauges Through Infotainment Console Screenshot_20190409-213431_Torque

Last edited:

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a follow up.

The Veepeak i had was faulty, but it seems any of the dongles in the $5-60 range are clones and not authentic ELM anyways. So whatever the brand. All have the same risks. I just went for another cheap brand that worked.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Just a follow up.

The Veepeak i had was faulty, but it seems any of the dongles in the $5-60 range are clones and not authentic ELM anyways. So whatever the brand. All have the same risks. I just went for another cheap brand that worked.
which brand did you went with ? We talking about Bluetooth adapter? or wi fi?